Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Global Warming Accelerating At Alarming Rate (Read 462 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Global Warming Accelerating At Alarming Rate
Reply #45 - 07/06/12 at 06:07:42

The opposite of riding into a city is riding thru the country. You know how you’re riding along on a country road and then all of a sudden the temp just plummets and you feel a chill? I call them micro-climates and they usually offer a nice relief.

Last weekend I was riding down the Great River Road south of St. Louis on the Illinois side of the Mississippi. Years ago, REAL GLOBAL WARMING, melted massive glaciers and the river was miles wide and carved these bluffs.

Today, there are mines in the sides of these bluffs. I rode past the first one and was hit with what felt like 30 degree air. It was 90+ at 10 AM. Felt great, road by another and then another. Finally pulled over in front of one and could not stay there more than a moment because of the cold.

So, 25,000 years ago, ice 5,000 feet thick melted and carved these huge bluffs. Today, we spend billions and billions to try and lower the average temp 1/10 of a degree at a time. The average temp in Missouri over the past 10 days is something like 102 degrees which is 15 degrees higher than normal. Newscasters and letters to the paper are telling me how this is all my fault because I’m driving a Silverado and not a Prius yet not one of them can explain how a tiny increase in the global average temp results in a 15 degree higher than average heat wave?

It’s so easy to blame this heat wave, drought, the Joplin tornado and other weather incidents on global warming, but it’s impossible to make that correlation.  1901, 1934 and 1936 were the hottest summers on record here, but all I’m hearing is global warming,… sorry, I mean the more politically correct phrase, climate change, is causing this.

Sorry, but I call BS on that……..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 07/06/12 at 07:56:52

All it proves is how easily the dumb masses are led around by their noses,,

Does no one remember, there is ALWAYS  a focal point for fear,, & its not where we should be looking.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #47 - 07/06/12 at 08:15:58

We came close to record highs here in Wisconsin. But the records are back in 1933 before the globe warming began.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #48 - 07/06/12 at 09:22:00

Not wishing to be alarmist, but that partial decade of higher temperatures was still long enough to turn some of the Midwest states into dustbowls/proto-deserts.  

Amazing what a few degrees can do to your nation's breadbasket ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #49 - 07/06/12 at 09:22:47

And the Alarmists dismiss such things as just an isolated event, meaningless, not part of an overall trend.

UNTIL it happens here & now, then its a sure sign,,
The whole thing is a game & the people are FINally waking up & saying NO..Its the first time in History I know of that the masses have started to shake off the programming by the media,.I LOVE it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #50 - 07/06/12 at 09:27:17

The corn crop is going to be bad but they say 2 mores weeks of this dry weather and it will be really bad,So all food prices will go up,And even ethanol will be higher so we will see how it effects gas prices.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #51 - 07/06/12 at 09:39:03

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/06/12 at 09:22:00:
Not wishing to be alarmist, but that partial decade of higher temperatures was still long enough to turn some of the Midwest states into dustbowls/proto-deserts.  

http://www.weru.ksu.edu/new_weru/multimedia/dustbowl/big/theb1365.jpg

If my history lessons were accurate,that dust bowl thing was an accidentally created perfect storm, Farmers had learned how to turn more dirt over than ever before, the drought killed crops & left the loose soil ready to be blown away,,BUT what caused that temperature increase? That was early in the industrial revolution, before freon holes in the atmosphere, before millions of engins making a mess & CO2 & all these things we are supposed to be scared of,, & still,, it happened,,

Changes in the world have happened, in fact, when its NOT changing is when its strange,

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 07/06/12 at 10:26:32

why don't we see a dust bowl today?...

I think the main cause of the dust bowl was bad farming more than anything else, wasn't it? We're not having a 'dust bowl' today even though it's just as hot and very little rain.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #53 - 07/06/12 at 12:00:11

Zero till farming will help keep the dust clouds down, but it won't help the wheat and corn to grow well with no rain refreshed soil water.

Irrigation from wells is still possible, but the wells must be 200 feet deep or more to get down to a year round stable water source.   20 years ago this was 50-100 feet.   Pumping that much water from 200 feet down costs money, enough to make some crops not pay any more.   BTW, this is Kanas, from NASA's satellites.  

You can Google Earth it for today's view to see for yourself if you are curious.   No matter if it is circular rainbird rotating arms (old tech) or new rectangular linear walking beam systems you can certainly spot the places where ground water is being pumped.

Now, if things continue the way they are slowly headed, expect large parts of the central US to become semi-arid (look a lot like New Mexico, which may slip more into a true shifting sand dune desert during the same time frame).

You will live to see this happen ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 07/07/12 at 09:43:11

Starlifter wrote on 06/02/12 at 21:08:16:
AP news Greenhouse gas levels pass symbolic 400ppm CO2 milestone

If you think about it, one volcano eruption makes what man produces (radio activity included) a drop in the bucket.  Cheesy

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #55 - 07/16/12 at 06:25:22

High_Plains_Thumpr wrote on 07/07/12 at 09:43:11:
Starlifter wrote on 06/02/12 at 21:08:16:
AP news Greenhouse gas levels pass symbolic 400ppm CO2 milestone

If you think about it, one volcano eruption makes what man produces (radio activity included) a drop in the bucket.  Cheesy

I second that.

Blaming global warming on CO2 is like spending the night at the beach keeping warm by a bonfire...
...then, halfway into the morning, someone walks by and blames your bonfire  for the rising temperature...
...as if it wasn't the sun to warm the morning !

I like that picture of Kansas, it reminds me of Mesopotamia in 3000 BC.

According to scientists (the real ones, not the scam artists involved in the global warming debate) you can find tropical plants in quasi-fossil state in Siberia, Yukon, where today you have permafrost.
Man didn't do that.

We are taught in school that the last ice age ended around 12,000 BC.
Man didn't do that.

According to leading archaeologists, Egypt in the days of the Pharaohs was a huge grain basket and they exported their wheat "worldwide", meaning from India to Spain.
Yet when Napoleon visited at the very beginning of the 19th century, Egypt was the very dust bowl we know today.
Man didn't do that.

We are like an ant sitting on a watermelon, and blaming ourselves if the watermelon dries and the skin wrinkles...

Soil erosion and the loss of arable land are much more at danger than our CO2 levels... Undecided

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #56 - 07/16/12 at 09:37:48

I am a scientist and global climate change is something I deal with daily in my management. I work for the state gov and we are not even allowed to say global warming. One thing I think many scientists need to remember is that the theory of global warming due to man's introduction of CO2 is just that, "theory." There is no way for a scientist to test the hypothesis since there are just too many variables in our atmosphere.

I tell myself all the time that it doesn't matter why, it does matter how we respond though. There could be hundreds of conspiring forces causing a shift in climate conditions. People need to understand that it might be a natural process but it is occurring and it does require a certain level of response.

First, we need to curtail our building in the flood plain and in coastal communities. Sea level is rising, around 2" already in some areas on the East coast. Saltwater intrusion into public aquifers and municipal water sources is a real problem in several communities that I know of personally.

Second, is habitat loss, many environmental problems get compounded when the habitat needed for rebound is not available. This will certainly lead to species loss (we are currently in a period of species die off comparable to the dinosaurs). Most people only think of animals when they think of endangered species but one out of every 8 plant species is at least threatened.

Third,  Climate change is going to cause habitat shifts. This will also redistribute the home ranges of many species. Imagine the new bread basket being located in Canada, or the citrus growers relocating to the midwest.

Lastly, is the increased frequency and severity of tropical storms and severe weather. No need to explain how this might affect us.

So, remember, there is no use in arguing the "why" but we can help mitigate much damage by simply acting now proactively.

and just in case, I drive a fuel efficient vehicle, I recycle, use my HVAC less in the summer, use my heat pump less in the winter, turn lights out, carpool when I can, buy curly cue lights, walk or ride my bike if I can, support alternative energy, and generally hug the hell out of some trees   Grin Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #57 - 07/16/12 at 17:12:27

Splash said..

First, we need to curtail our building in the flood plain and in coastal communities. Sea level is rising, around 2" already in some areas on the East coast. Saltwater intrusion into public aquifers and municipal water sources is a real problem in several communities that I know of personally.

Well,, pardon me for being dense, but IF it was "Sea Level Rising",, wouldnt it be 2 inches EVErywhere? You sure that land is sinking?

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #58 - 07/16/12 at 19:16:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/16/12 at 17:12:27:
Splash said..

Well,, pardon me for being dense, but IF it was "Sea Level Rising",, wouldnt it be 2 inches EVErywhere? You sure that land is sinking?

Actually no it wont be the same everywhere. Think of the tides, they are only a few feet in the Gulf of Mexico but up to 40 feet in the bay of Fundy. Current and tide will dictate where the largest effects are felt.

Ask the people of Kiribati.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/12/01/131708517/a-kiribati-village-s...

and for those on the right, somethng right from faux news

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/12/06/island-state-vanishes-nation/

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #59 - 07/16/12 at 20:39:22

Lets just say youre 100% correct,, Ill go with that,,for now,, even still,.That doesnt mean my SUV did it, doesnt make mankind the bad guy..
You are aware of Lovelock & what he said, right?> Im tired of typing it,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 23:25:37

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Global Warming Accelerating At Alarming Rate

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.