Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Performance Carburetor Kit (Read 6073 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Performance Carburetor Kit:  $369.95
Reply #15 - 11/19/12 at 06:07:02

Seriously? How did I miss this post?
Why was mine so much more expensive?

--Steve

IP Logged
grabber_blue
YaBB Newbies

Surrey, BC
Reply #16 - 11/19/12 at 08:03:09

Not sure how you missed it. Maybe they're new to eBay?
It's oriental but I think it filters the same way.

Lancer, what do I do with my battery box if I want open element filter?  It already has a relief in it for the 60mm air tube from carb to airbox.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 11/19/12 at 16:46:03

grabber_blue wrote on 11/19/12 at 08:03:09:
Not sure how you missed it. Maybe they're new to eBay?
It's oriental but I think it filters the same way.

Lancer, what do I do with my battery box if I want open element filter?  It already has a relief in it for the 60mm air tube from carb to airbox.

The little Emgo filter will fit above the battery and the smallest K&N can be wedged in place with a slight detent in the filter where it contacts the battery cover top.

IP Logged
Roberto1444
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Reply #18 - 11/26/12 at 16:22:16

Hi Lancer

I bought a Jetset from you (that grumbler guy from Brazil) unaware of the differences in jetting between bikes for the US market and those for the Brazilian. Ha! Totally different juices, man. Stock jets here are 125 and 47.5. Pff..

Fact is that I'm using the stock jets and the bike is running ok with the new dyna muffler. Well, probably almost ok, but no backfires at all.

Now for some questions.

1) Do you think it's possible to find the corresponding Jetset for my "tropicalized" Mikuni, in case I install a cone air filter? I suppose those would be around this range:
Main: 127.5 / 130 / 132.5 / 135
Pilot: 45 / 47.5 / 50

2) What about the 2/3 spacer, would it be compatible with my 125 / 47.5 jet scheme, in your opinion?

3) I am contemplating purchasing a performance carburetor kit from you, but there's this jets issue. Considering the different fuels (next month our gasoline will be mixed with 20% ethanol Angry), would it be possible for you to provide jets that would cover the range corresponding to the 125/47.5 in the stock Mikuni BS40 adapted to our local juice? I mean, if it's possible to extrapolate that.

4) Your performance camshaft seems to be excellent, but why not upgrade this engine to a solid roller camshaft system, once and for all?

Nice, nice, very nice. So many different people in the same device. (Kurt Vonnegut)
  IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Performance Carb Kit Reveiw/Install on 2/17/13
Reply #19 - 02/17/13 at 07:28:57

The kit is as pictured and delivery was in a timely manner. I had already had my stock bike partially stripped to work on it and I am a driveway mechanic by hobby, so installation time would be a moot point here. This was installed in a gravel driveway under the southern Nevada spring sun in around 2 hours.

The rubber carb flange on my 2005 was giving me some concernes with visions of stripped phillips heads, hours of drilling and tapping of frozen screws but that wasn't the case. A 1/4 drive ratchet, 8mm socket and the largerst phillips head drive bit took out the screws with realitive ease. It just took patience, hard force on the ratchet to seat the the bit in the screw slots and gentle coaxing on the ratchet handle to get the screws to cooperate. The kit supplied rubber flange was the correct size and went in place effortlessly, though I'd recomment a dab of anti-seize on the screw threads for future removal. Battery and batt box was removed prior to make room for my medium sized mitts and work to be preformed.

Mounting the VM carb was the tricky part and I had to relocate a small black box (.75 X 1.5 X 2 inches) rearward to clear the chrome 90 degree throttle cable bend that sticks out of the top of the carb. It was a matter of using 2 small zip ties to secure it to the wire harness just ahead of the fuel tank/seat tab mounting bracket to keep it from flopping around.
Pushing/twisting the VM spigot into the the rubber flange was an excersize in stregnth even with shade tree assembly lube (aka vasoline). It's tight folks, but it won't be a future source for any vacuum leaks I can guarantee. Routing/installing the custom throttle cable was rudementary and simple to do.

Battery box was reinstalled, I did have to reroute the starter hot wire (I just didn't want to fight with it). I elected to retain the original airbox, so the free space between the VM intake spigot and the airbox was just a little shorter. Even with shade tree assembly lube on the inner lip of the carbside waffle air hose, it took alot of coaxing (2 screwdrivers and a bunch of determination) to get the hose in place. The distance was shorter and the carb spigot so tight, I didn't need to use the factory hose clamps, it mated solidly against the airbox but was kink free.

There was the need of a Raptor fuel valve. The factory valve is vacuum operated and the VM doen't come equipped with a vacuum post or nipple. Luckily the local bike shop just happens to stock the Raptor as a common item. Down side of this Raptor is that it's for a Honda and the valve neck is shorter than the Yamaha one.
To make it work and seat solidly, I had to make clearance between the fuel tanks seam and the valves dial face. This was accomplished by a header installation trick to dent the seam. To bend the seam away from the valve face. I dented it (and you really have to look close to see it) by striking a large socket larger than the valve with a hammer. Center the socket with the rectangle valve hole on the seam and strike it soundly. working away from the center towards each bolt hole and checking progress by remounting the valve after every swing, making sure I wasn't over doing the modification. It now sit as it should and the denting is not noticable and no paint was harmed in the process.

After a warm-up and pre-tuning, the test ride came to fine tune the VM. I will admit that the feel and response is different like a whole other bike.
The VM is a two stage system, idle and main jets which makes even a dumb ass like me able to tweak the carb. After a few streets and noting throttle response, I had the enrichener/air screw dialed in and RPM at idle between 800-1000. It's not a Harley, so I did not want the dying lope of the idle sound and wanted the upper end to get proper lubrication. If you want a Harley sound, buy a Harley cause this thumper is a breed of it's own (and prone free of roadside retightening of fasteners rattled loose).

Hats off to LANCER, his kit and a great ride with snappier response to a slight twist of the throttle. I am a happy camper.

« Last Edit: 02/17/13 at 12:50:51 by rat907 »  

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Reply #20 - 04/26/13 at 10:09:22

Hi Lancer, are these "pumper" carbs?  Also, will they fit on a Ryca? Cheers D

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 04/26/13 at 15:49:04

SinglesGoinSteady wrote on 04/26/13 at 10:09:22:
Hi Lancer, are these "pumper" carbs?  Also, will they fit on a Ryca? Cheers D

The VM carb in the kit is not a pumper and it can be made to fit a RYCA conversion with the right filter.  The new RYCA battery box sits pretty close to the carb, whether using the stock CV carb or a replacement like the VM carb.  RYCA supplies a small flat round type filter which I think is too small, especially if using the VM carb; the little filter does not flow enough air.  A larger flat round filter like used on the VM carb for HD's is a better choice.
K&N # RC-0850

« Last Edit: 06/18/13 at 02:25:19 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Performance Carb Kit Reveiw/Install on 2/17/13
Reply #22 - 04/26/13 at 15:50:56

rat907 wrote on 02/17/13 at 07:28:57:
The kit is as pictured and delivery was in a timely manner. I had already had my stock bike partially stripped to work on it and I am a driveway mechanic by hobby, so installation time would be a moot point here. This was installed in a gravel driveway under the southern Nevada spring sun in around 2 hours.

The rubber carb flange on my 2005 was giving me some concernes with visions of stripped phillips heads, hours of drilling and tapping of frozen screws but that wasn't the case. A 1/4 drive ratchet, 8mm socket and the largerst phillips head drive bit took out the screws with realitive ease. It just took patience, hard force on the ratchet to seat the the bit in the screw slots and gentle coaxing on the ratchet handle to get the screws to cooperate. The kit supplied rubber flange was the correct size and went in place effortlessly, though I'd recomment a dab of anti-seize on the screw threads for future removal. Battery and batt box was removed prior to make room for my medium sized mitts and work to be preformed.

Mounting the VM carb was the tricky part and I had to relocate a small black box (.75 X 1.5 X 2 inches) rearward to clear the chrome 90 degree throttle cable bend that sticks out of the top of the carb. It was a matter of using 2 small zip ties to secure it to the wire harness just ahead of the fuel tank/seat tab mounting bracket to keep it from flopping around.
Pushing/twisting the VM spigot into the the rubber flange was an excersize in stregnth even with shade tree assembly lube (aka vasoline). It's tight folks, but it won't be a future source for any vacuum leaks I can guarantee. Routing/installing the custom throttle cable was rudementary and simple to do.

Battery box was reinstalled, I did have to reroute the starter hot wire (I just didn't want to fight with it). I elected to retain the original airbox, so the free space between the VM intake spigot and the airbox was just a little shorter. Even with shade tree assembly lube on the inner lip of the carbside waffle air hose, it took alot of coaxing (2 screwdrivers and a bunch of determination) to get the hose in place. The distance was shorter and the carb spigot so tight, I didn't need to use the factory hose clamps, it mated solidly against the airbox but was kink free.

There was the need of a Raptor fuel valve. The factory valve is vacuum operated and the VM doen't come equipped with a vacuum post or nipple. Luckily the local bike shop just happens to stock the Raptor as a common item. Down side of this Raptor is that it's for a Honda and the valve neck is shorter than the Yamaha one.
To make it work and seat solidly, I had to make clearance between the fuel tanks seam and the valves dial face. This was accomplished by a header installation trick to dent the seam. To bend the seam away from the valve face. I dented it (and you really have to look close to see it) by striking a large socket larger than the valve with a hammer. Center the socket with the rectangle valve hole on the seam and strike it soundly. working away from the center towards each bolt hole and checking progress by remounting the valve after every swing, making sure I wasn't over doing the modification. It now sit as it should and the denting is not noticable and no paint was harmed in the process.

After a warm-up and pre-tuning, the test ride came to fine tune the VM. I will admit that the feel and response is different like a whole other bike.
The VM is a two stage system, idle and main jets which makes even a dumb ass like me able to tweak the carb. After a few streets and noting throttle response, I had the enrichener/air screw dialed in and RPM at idle between 800-1000. It's not a Harley, so I did not want the dying lope of the idle sound and wanted the upper end to get proper lubrication. If you want a Harley sound, buy a Harley cause this thumper is a breed of it's own (and prone free of roadside retightening of fasteners rattled loose).

Hats off to LANCER, his kit and a great ride with snappier response to a slight twist of the throttle. I am a happy camper.

Thanks for the good feedback & report of your installation experience.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Performance Carburetor Kit
Reply #23 - 06/17/13 at 17:43:12

LANCER wrote on 06/09/12 at 08:02:10:
arteacher wrote on 06/02/12 at 10:10:44:
What performance improvements can be expected with this kit, including the UFO?

The round slide is noticeably more responsive and will flow more fuel/air ... as much as you would ever want for this engine.  Potential for power increases is substantial.  How much power depends on what you do to other parts, but this carb is more than capable of handling anything you may ever desire to do.

Would this carb be up to feeding a turbocharged 650 application?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Performance Carburetor Kit
Reply #24 - 06/18/13 at 02:46:12

savagebob wrote on 06/17/13 at 17:43:12:
LANCER wrote on 06/09/12 at 08:02:10:
arteacher wrote on 06/02/12 at 10:10:44:
What performance improvements can be expected with this kit, including the UFO?

The round slide is noticeably more responsive and will flow more fuel/air ... as much as you would ever want for this engine.  Potential for power increases is substantial.  How much power depends on what you do to other parts, but this carb is more than capable of handling anything you may ever desire to do.

Would this carb be up to feeding a turbocharged 650 application?

I don't know the answer for that, not knowing how much a turborcharged engine would require, but I suspect that it might.
The LS650 engine, when mod'd with carb, cam, larger bore & hi-comp piston, better exhaust, etc. only needs a main jet in the 170-200 range.  Available main jets go up to 720.
Pilot jets used on this engine range from 12.5-20, with sizes up to 120 available.
So there is a lot of room for growth.
With a turbo or supercharged engine the air flow would be greatly increased, which would really improve fuel pickup due to the greater vacuum created by the faster moving air.  I don't know if the fuel or air requirements would be limited by this carb or not...it would be interesting.  I assume it would be necessary to set the carb up while on a dyno to make sure you had the correct jetting/tuning.  
If you  build an engine with a turbo/s-charger I would be happy to help with the carb needed for it.  Send me a PM and we can talk about what would be the best choice for your engine.  If the 36mm VM is not adequate then there are certainly other choices; we can find what will work for it.  There is the 38mm and after that the 44mm.  Ever seen a 44 ?  It's a BIG HONKING CARB !

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 06/18/13 at 04:45:47

I am going to stick my nose in this.......I got a few opinions about the turbocharger set up.

Stay with the stock piston.....you want the low compresssion to give room for the turbo to work. If you go with a Wiseco you will have too much initial compression....combine that with a  Turbo and you won't be able to buy fuel that will work....unless you switch to alcohol.
Use a VM36 or VM38 carb.  Unless you are racing and running wide open most the time.....you need the ability to have a good idle and good mixture control at riding speeds.  At normal riding speeds you will not be moving enough air through a larger carb to have it meter accurately.
Don't get too big of a cam....stock or Stage 1 is probably fine.  You don't want a big duration as you will just be pumping unburned fuel out the exhaust.  You are also unlikely to make the engine safely turn much faster.....so you are looking to get more power in the existing 6,500 rpm and under.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/18/13 at 16:27:33

I've turbocharged a few motors before (never a bike though) and thought it would be fun to see what happens with a savage.  

Usually I stick with the stock cam which is usually best.

I would expect it would turn the 650 into the equivalent of a 1100cc in terms of air/fuel.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 06/24/13 at 05:38:20

Dave wrote on 06/18/13 at 04:45:47:
I am going to stick my nose in this.......I got a few opinions about the turbocharger set up.

Stay with the stock piston.....you want the low compresssion to give room for the turbo to work. If you go with a Wiseco you will have too much initial compression....combine that with a  Turbo and you won't be able to buy fuel that will work....unless you switch to alcohol.
Use a VM36 or VM38 carb.  Unless you are racing and running wide open most the time.....you need the ability to have a good idle and good mixture control at riding speeds.  At normal riding speeds you will not be moving enough air through a larger carb to have it meter accurately.
Don't get too big of a cam....stock or Stage 1 is probably fine.  You don't want a big duration as you will just be pumping unburned fuel out the exhaust.  You are also unlikely to make the engine safely turn much faster.....so you are looking to get more power in the existing 6,500 rpm and under.

Dave, a question I had was whether the higher pressures of the boosted incoming air would tend to push the slide back up when wanting to let off the throttle.  Is gravity and the lite spring pressure enough to overcome the air pressure ?
I assume a heavier spring could be used of course if needed to counter-act the air pressure.
A butterfly valve type carb would not have the issue, but they are less efficient having the butter valve in the carb throat.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 06/24/13 at 10:25:23

LANCER wrote on 06/24/13 at 05:38:20:

Dave, a question I had was whether the higher pressures of the boosted incoming air would tend to push the slide back up when wanting to let off the throttle.  Is gravity and the lite spring pressure enough to overcome the air pressure ?
I assume a heavier spring could be used of course if needed to counter-act the air pressure.
A butterfly valve type carb would not have the issue, but they are less efficient having the butter valve in the carb throat.

The turbo would have to go between the intake port and the carb....so that it is still pulling air through the carb and not pushing it.  The boost would not occur until after the air was pulled through the carb, and the only thing the carb would sense was a greater amount of air being pulled through.  It would not work to pressurise the intake of the carb with a turbo - as there would no longer be a vacuum through the venturi to pull the fuel out of the float bowl, the vented float bowl would be pressurized....the Constant Veloctiy carb would really be screwed up!

I have seen one carb setup on a factory modified Pontiac Trans Am, (Macho T/A) where they built a box around the carb and pressurized not only intake of the carb - but the entire carb so that everything sensed the increased air pressure.  This might be a problem with the Savage as the gravity fuel flow might be affected, and you could potentially collapse the floats with enough boost.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 06/24/13 at 11:14:59

Dave wrote on 06/24/13 at 10:25:23:
LANCER wrote on 06/24/13 at 05:38:20:

The turbo would have to go between the intake port and the carb....so that it is still pulling air through the carb and not pushing it.  The boost would not occur until after the air was pulled through the carb, and the only thing the carb would sense was a greater amount of air being pulled through.  It would not work to pressurise the intake of the carb with a turbo - as there would no longer be a vacuum through the venturi to pull the fuel out of the float bowl, the vented float bowl would be pressurized....the Constant Veloctiy carb would really be screwed up!

I have seen one carb setup on a factory modified Pontiac Trans Am, (Macho T/A) where they built a box around the carb and pressurized not only intake of the carb - but the entire carb so that everything sensed the increased air pressure.  This might be a problem with the Savage as the gravity fuel flow might be affected, and you could potentially collapse the floats with enough boost.

Ahh, so there's no issue with the carb.  Good to know; thanks for the info Dave.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 13:21:11

General CategoryThe Marketplace › Performance Carburetor Kit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.