Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Speedo cable leaking oil? How did you fix it?

No. Never a drop.
Yes. O-rings.
Yes. Removed speedo.
Yes. Taped threaded.
Yes. Did not fix. Still leaks.
Yes. Tried Ben's discovery and doesn't leak now.

« Last Modified by: Ben aka ubergeek on: 05/28/12 at 09:34:00 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
A potential fix for speedo cable oil leak! (Read 1967 times)
Ben aka ubergeek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
A potential fix for speedo cable oil leak!
05/13/12 at 17:33:14

Ok so here goes...

Last year I had my '87 Savage get a new gasket set and piston rings.  However, even after allowing time for break in and re-torquing engine bolts periodically, I noticed an oil leak.  Wouldn't you know it. The speedometer cable was the culprit.  So after a quick look on this wonderful resource known as suzukisavage.com, I promptly put on an o-ring of adequate size and composition as described by so many others here.  This seemed to fix the problem, at least temporarily.

I ride about 120 miles a day, round trip to work and back home.  Eventually the dang o-rings gave out.  So i replaced them. One and then another and another.  The whole time I have been on a mission to find the OEM seal.  This is not possible, it seems, without ordering a whole new speedometer cable.  Well, I decided, if that was the case, that I would order one of the RYCA speedo cables and setup a mini speedo.  After some correspondence with RYCA, however, I was told that there speedo cable does not include a seal.  Puzzling, I thought.

Not one to be easily put off track, I decided to give my local hardware stores a try.  After some quick searches here, I located an image of the OEM seal.

Armed with this image and a plastic spacer (that I had modified to be the size that was required), I headed off to hunt.

After a long day of browsing I came home with quite a few hopefuls.

Total cost for everything was less that $5.

One item in particular stood out from the rest.  A Bonded Sealing Washer 1/4" radius.  

This little guy has a conical galvanized metal washer that is bonded to and NEOPRENE seal.  The seal's inner diameter is just slightly less than the metal washer's.  

I unscrewed the speedo cable. Then removed inner cabling and slid the washer down the whole thing metal side down.  This allowed the metal to go around the larger diamter of the part that inserts into the transmission. and also allowed the neoprene seal to snug against the inner speedo cabling.  It fits perfectly (pics to come in the next few days.

So now I am running it this way.  After a few days I will inspect the seal to check for wear and tear.  I know that EPDM is not ideal for being in contact with oil.  However if this works, I have alread located a neoprene or butyl seal with a stainless washer substrate.  The cost for 100 of these is about $15.  I hope to eliminate all future speedo oil leaks with this endeavor.  Any ideas or feedback would be welcome.

BTW for anyone who wants to try this.  You can pick up the same one I have at Home Depot.  Check the pic for the part number, but its in the hardware aisle.

« Last Edit: 07/11/12 at 11:30:08 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

87 Savage, Dyna Muffler
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Permanent fix for speedo cable oil leak!
Reply #1 - 05/14/12 at 06:47:45

Wow, cant wait on the results.

IP Logged
Sarge
YaBB Newbies
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 05/14/12 at 09:03:17

SmileySomeone else on this forum suggested using some yellow teflon tape (oil resistant) on the threads in addition to the o ring seal.  I tried it 3 years ago and no leaks since.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 05/14/12 at 18:19:17

I just deleted the cable. End of leak. As in, not a drop out that hole without a cable in it. Cable acts as a wick.

Haven't run a speedometer on the bike for about 6 years. No tickets, speeding or equipment violation.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 05/14/12 at 20:18:58

WD wrote on 05/14/12 at 18:19:17:
I just deleted the cable. End of leak. As in, not a drop out that hole without a cable in it. Cable acts as a wick.

Haven't run a speedometer on the bike for about 6 years. No tickets, speeding or equipment violation.

WD, there are several mods that we can recommend to help you get tickets for speeding, loud pipe, and many others. Just ask. We're here for you.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Ben aka ubergeek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #5 - 05/19/12 at 21:08:27

Update:

I've ridden about 600 miles since I put the bonded washer on. No leaks at all. I will be posting a few more pictures soon (hopefully). As soon as I get the time. I also just finished my dyna muffler change. OMG. I cannot believe how much of a difference it makes.

87 Savage, Dyna Muffler
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 05/22/12 at 14:50:04

I know several folks have just used a nitrile o-ring with good results.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ben aka ubergeek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #7 - 05/23/12 at 18:07:23

Savage_Rob wrote on 05/22/12 at 14:50:04:
I know several folks have just used a nitrile o-ring with good results.

I have heard the same and have tried those as well.  But it is not a permanent fix.  I was going through o-rings about once a month.  I have access to a wide variety of o-rings of different composition.  None of them lasted very long.  What I am trying to accomplish is a replacement for the oem oil seal.  I have actually located the exact seal.  However I would have to order $150 worth of seals in order to acquire one.  This bonded washer is working so good though.  After a few more weeks of running and some examination under magnification, I am just about ready to rewrite this topic and request it be made a sticky in the technical section.  I am surprised every time I get off the bike and there is not oil leaking down my engine.  I really think that this may be a better solution than the o-rings.  And with this items availability, anyone who has an LS650 should be able to pick one up.

87 Savage, Dyna Muffler
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 05/24/12 at 07:56:07

I like the idea of the bonded washer, as long as the rubber is something like nitrile, which is petroleum resistant.  A lot of other types will break down too quickly.  I'm interested to see how well it works for you.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
jay313
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/24/12 at 11:51:41

WD wrote on 05/14/12 at 18:19:17:

I'm also deleting the speedo. What did you plug or cover the hole with? Anything?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 05/24/12 at 14:53:53

I'm pretty sure WD doesn't use the stock tank.

Ben aka ubergeek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #11 - 05/25/12 at 09:16:28

Not sure about wd or tank? Maybe posted in wrong thread.

However I made a tiny discovery today. The seal is neoprene, not epdm like I had thought. I was trying to find a replacement for the epdm and low and behold google search hit on a neoprene bonded sealing washer. It was the exact part # that I had grabbed. I'm not sure how oil resistant neoprene is, but I think it might explain why there had been no breakdown of the seal so far.

I plan on taking the pictures this weekend. I have Monday off so I should be able to get them done.

I wonder how many people have had this oil leak problem...

87 Savage, Dyna Muffler
  IP Logged
Ben aka ubergeek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #12 - 05/25/12 at 09:23:36

Does your speedo cable leak oil?

87 Savage, Dyna Muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 05/25/12 at 09:40:35

Ben aka ubergeek wrote on 05/25/12 at 09:16:28:
I'm not sure how oil resistant neoprene

neoprene is ok for oil.

WWW   IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #14 - 05/25/12 at 12:14:47

Ben, you need a new category in the voting "leaked, using Ben's discovery, doesn't leak now".  That's what I did and that's what happened.  Thanks for the search and discovery Ben.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 05:42:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A potential fix for speedo cable oil leak!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.