Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Speedo cable leaking oil? How did you fix it?

No. Never a drop.
Yes. O-rings.
Yes. Removed speedo.
Yes. Taped threaded.
Yes. Did not fix. Still leaks.
Yes. Tried Ben's discovery and doesn't leak now.

« Last Modified by: Ben aka ubergeek on: 05/28/12 at 09:34:00 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
A potential fix for speedo cable oil leak! (Read 1967 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: A potential fix for speedo cable oil leak!
Reply #30 - 08/22/12 at 18:16:51

LouSiana searched through lots of other 'zuki cable sets and discovered the correct stock OEM Suzuki seal running under part number 34943-11030 for $2.74 plus shipping.   This ring lip seal has eluded us for years but it is now found and identified.

Part number 34943-11030 ring lip seal for $2.74

http://www.bikebandit.com/search?q=34943-11030
« Last Edit: 08/23/12 at 06:49:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

mHjxpWDuFCnzZeHCIdgOZ6w.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #31 - 08/22/12 at 19:42:17

It will be interesting to see what luck people have with the OEM seal.

Mine started leaking not long after I got the bike (I bought it used with 70 miles on it back in 2001 - see signature block for specifics on the bike).

I replaced the OEM seal with an o-ring when the bike had about 600 miles on it.  A few years back, that o-ring started to leak, so I swapped out the old o-ring for a new one.  The bike now has 12,500 miles on it....and the second o-ring is still hanging in there.

I'm guessing that a well-chosen o-ring will last longer than that OEM seal will.

Like I say, I'm lookin' forward to hearing about folks' real world experiences.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #32 - 08/22/12 at 20:10:58

"TACH CABLE OIL"

Is that the right part? I don't see an image.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 08/23/12 at 06:41:16

Digger,

Just playing the numbers game, over the years there have been 10,000's of speedo cables using that sort of seal on our model alone -- and lots of other models that use the same sort of cable set up off the transmission --  that don't leak for their owners.   Just playing the numbers "as seen" if you have a smooth surface on your inner cable it should work well for you for a lot of miles.

When these seals do leak, generally there is a reason behind it.   Wear is the simplest, and a little bit of roughness on the inner cable shaft can certainly make that happen.   So can a badly formed cable square end, which would make for an oscillation in the seal shank as the thing spins.

=========================

Cavi,

Both Ron Eyers and Bike Bandit are saying "TACH CABLE OIL" as the description of that part number.  My goodness, I have searched for this seal before and saw this "oil" being offered up many times, and I ignored it because I wanted the seal that Suzuki wouldn't sell us not some stupid heavy gear oil that I had by the quart already.   So, egg on my face too -- right along with all of the rest of us who have been seal searching before.

This "TACH CABLE OIL" is apparently some sort of Nipponese/Engrish shorthand for "Tachometer Cable Oil Seal" as the part looks like this:

« Last Edit: 08/23/12 at 08:17:35 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

mHjxpWDuFCnzZeHCIdgOZ6w_001.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #34 - 08/23/12 at 08:53:03

Hiho and thanks for your replies!

I don't think it's a matter of luck getting rid of oil marks that way.
All the proposals may work as well (O-Ring, rubber coated washer), but if the original seal doesn't work what it is for, you should not blame that ring seal.

As Oldfeller pointed out, the reason of leaking and destroying the lip of the seal may be roughness, corrosion or radial play, he called it oscillation. Which might be as well as de-centered action, maybe from unexact make.

There are many S40 or Savage's that do not leak, even if there's nothing like an O-Ring or the "Simmerring" as it is called here in Germany. My Engine in the sidecar-Savage does not and my "Solo" doesn't, too. Just like others I know of and also know, they have no seal mounted.

Others wonder and complain about remarkable amounts of oil leaking down from the cylinder head cover. Panic!! Mostly then the oil crawled up in the speedo cable and does not know where to go then with reason.
If the speedo is oil stained from the underside and one remarks oil reflow flom the speedo cable it's easy to explain.

This little a**hole  Shocked)) goes away and often got lost every second attempt to take off the fuel tank.

Maybe it's a difference in the clearing of the speedo-shaft in the engine case if it will leak or not without sealing and maybe there are differences how the oil gets out of the gear shaft bearings. The lubrication of the speedo drive shaft is more random from oil drops flying around in the case and not fed from the oil gallery.

Hope you get me right, I'm not a native speaker of the english language. So I beg your pardon!

Regards, Lou

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 08/23/12 at 09:46:05

Hey, you can struggle with our awkward language all you want, any time you want -- we are so durn good at at our English language we never even LOOKED at the picture for the "TACH CABLE OIL" that was sitting in front of us for all these years.

It took a German who didn't trust his English to find what the Japanese translators had hidden in plain sight for all those years ....

Lou, what does the part number 34943-11030 part description say in your German parts lists ????    Ours says it is "oil for the tach cable" which is a very poor job translating "oil seal" from Japanese into English.    Did they do any better translating it to German?

In any case, you have our thanks for finding our mysterious lost seal.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #36 - 08/23/12 at 11:12:27

Hihi thanks in advance!  Wink

Most of the parts I need I get from Netherlands, CMSL or another fellow friend, who made up one of our german Savage-forum.
There, I must confess, I got that hint to this item. (As we say here, it's not grown on my own dung heap...)

This sealing ring is used in many other bikes, that way the number seems odd compared to the "24B0xxx" numbers for the S40 or Savage. Anyway, if it does what it is made for, I don't complain!

By CMSL it is called "Oil seal" (they have their shop in english, too) but usually it is called "Simmering" here (that's Jargon, the right description would be "Shaft Sealing" = Wellendichtring).
You even may get such sealings here in some shops dealing with ball bearings and other machine parts like hydraulic assemblies and so on.
It's easier here because we have all that stuff in metric measures (and don't we both may get crazy if we ecounter things in the respectively "wrong" measure? Inch based tools and bolts and so on are here something like a challenge, maybe metric stuff is the same at your site. Sure you got the Idea!) and those things have their defined and standardized measure. Inner diameter, outer diameter, thickness. There may be other outer diameter measures for 7mm shafts for example, but they often compare with measures from ball bearings, saving machining time. I believe, that won't be new to you, hm? ;o))

Anyway: If Suzuki refuses that sealing in their part listings for the S40 and Savage, you know to beat them now!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 08/23/12 at 11:25:14

Oh, they sell it all right, now that we know it isn't a little packet of cable oil and we have a correct part number for it !!!

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #38 - 08/23/12 at 14:07:50

Oh-um... I think I get you right now. This part is listed in your 'fiches' but the name is corrupted. Aaargh! hihi
Who ever needed 'Cable Oi'l if in case the cable is oil-soaked.

That's different here: The seal is not listed, not shown.
Just looked in the Motofiches (french-german copies of spare parts) and on CMSL.
Not in the tach section, not in the engine case section and also not in the section showing the transmission parts. Lost in translation there, left out here.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #39 - 08/23/12 at 15:34:40

Yeah, I might just have to pick up a spare next time I order something else (because shipping is 3x the cost of the part, more at some sites).  I am using my original one and it's 14 years old now.  Thanks a lot for identifying this.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 08/23/12 at 16:05:54

I have lost mine twice (taking the tank off to adjust the valves mostly) and had to keep looking way way past $3 worth to find it -- I too will get a spare one as soon as I have an order for something more substantial to cover the shipping charges.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #41 - 08/24/12 at 15:10:55

Went into the stealership today and ordered it up. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

IP Logged
lacon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Knoxville, TN
Reply #42 - 08/29/12 at 10:18:52

Also stopped by my local Suzuki dealer today.  Not in stock, but no extra charge to have them order one for me.  $2.49 + tax. Will be in next week.  No rush to install as my rubber washer is holding, but wanted to have the correct seal on hand.

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #43 - 08/29/12 at 13:26:44

I have about a dozen Savage-riders in my area, so I added three seals at my last order. Most of the riders I see monthly on our regular's table.

Last weekend we had a bigger meeting 80 miles from here. It was overwhelming to see far more than 40 (!!) Savage's on one place, coming from all sides of Germany and two people even from Belgium.
Most of the bikes got a bit customized but I still do like that bike when it is all stock equipped.

Only very few had complaints about that sealing and I gave them the number which I now know by heart. As I mentioned before, I have not the slightest issue without that sealing in any way. Not a single drop of oil coming out of that port, even when I go on a ride with the speedo cable disconnected, just for testing.

But I sure know, some have remarkable leaking problems. I still wonder why...  Maybe everyone who has an issue with it should prove the bleeding hose from the cylinder head is not bent or blocked in any way. With a bent hose, blow-by gasses and rising temperatures might press out engine oil wherever it can be done.

IP Logged
dcubansavage
YaBB Newbies

I think therefore I
dont know!

Coconut Grove, Florida
Reply #44 - 08/03/13 at 10:42:22

Hey Ben I just bought the bonded sealing washer u recommend. Quick question??? Does the metal side of the washer go down against the engine or the rubber side? Tx.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 16:05:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A potential fix for speedo cable oil leak!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.