Send Topic Print
The Project: Phase 4 (Read 6103 times)
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: The Project: Phase 4
Reply #60 - 10/13/11 at 16:03:45

I decided to bite the bullet and get one of those light, compact lithium batteries. 210 CCA. About four pounds lighter.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #61 - 10/14/11 at 09:10:23

Had to grind down the frame stubs a bit so the seat platform would fit. I had cut them a little long just to be safe. Hurray for the angle grinder.

Guess I should get the engine covers on.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 10/14/11 at 09:48:10

MotoBuddha wrote on 10/11/11 at 12:06:27:
Spent some time with my painter buddy.  Rather than attach the ignition/idiot lights plate to the tank the standard Ryca way, we cut the three tabs off the speedo cavity and welded the plate in position. (We kept the bolts on the plate for mounting the ignition and lights.)  Then he'll bondo the seam and give it a nice taper.

will the ignition plate be flush with the rest of the tank or will it be raised, positioned on top of the lip?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #63 - 10/14/11 at 09:57:25

wheelchairstuntn wrote on 10/14/11 at 09:48:10:
MotoBuddha wrote on 10/11/11 at 12:06:27:
Spent some time with my painter buddy.  Rather than attach the ignition/idiot lights plate to the tank the standard Ryca way, we cut the three tabs off the speedo cavity and welded the plate in position. (We kept the bolts on the plate for mounting the ignition and lights.)  Then he'll bondo the seam and give it a nice taper.

will the ignition plate be flush with the rest of the tank or will it be raised, positioned on top of the lip?

It will still be raised.  We didn't want to deal with any issues that might develop if we cut down the lip on the tank.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #64 - 10/15/11 at 12:29:29

Buttoned up the clutch side after making a run to the store for a cotter pin. Had to fiddle with some other things. For example, back when I started the project I had cut off the frame protrusions where the forward controls used to mount way before Ryca sent out it's instructions for that, so I had cut mine almost flush with the frame. That meant the engine mounting bolts Ryca supplied were about a half inch too long on one and an inch too long on the other. So I cut the bolts down. I also cut the required inch off the exhaust pipe and mounted the crumb cup in the muffler. I made the hole in the muffler mounting strap larger so it would fit over the 10mm bolt. I test fitted the chain to confirm it still okay since the frame had been coated and actually assembled. I fiddled with the wiring some more. Except for the clutch cover, there's not much that looks different from the previous shot.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #65 - 10/16/11 at 02:33:55

Wicked, wicked, wicked!! What a Build!! Can't wait to see it finished!! Congrats man! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #66 - 10/16/11 at 07:40:22

B E A UTIFUL  Smiley

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #67 - 10/16/11 at 10:46:53

Like others, I was having trouble getting the air filter to fit. Then I watched the Ryca video on the matter and understood what I needed to do.  I got it on, but the filter was tilted downward a bit. After rechecking things I saw part of the frame crossmember was bent. So I straightened it and everything fit fine.

However, I don't know that I like the top of the filter touching the crossmember. Vibrations can make it do unwanted things. So I'm going to try bending the crossmember upward some more to see if I can get a little clearance.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
crackmonkey
YaBB Newbies

nothing to see here.
 keep moving

Hagerstown, MD
Reply #68 - 10/16/11 at 12:03:44

yeah i dont think i would like that touching either.  i know you already have it painted the frame but maybe cutting that piece out would be an option if you cant get good clearance from bending.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #69 - 10/16/11 at 13:46:04

Spent the afternoon dealing with the rat's nest of wiring. Or, rather, it was dealing with me. I need to figure out how to route things with the relocated parts. I thought I had most of it figured out until I realized I needed to get the carb, cables, etc. in place. I want to keep as much of the wiring as possible out of sight. I've been trying to be all zen about it, letting the bends and twists of the wires tell me where they want to go. Eh.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #70 - 10/17/11 at 09:42:31

MotoBuddha wrote on 10/16/11 at 13:46:04:
Spent the afternoon dealing with the rat's nest of wiring. Or, rather, it was dealing with me. I need to figure out how to route things with the relocated parts. I thought I had most of it figured out until I realized I needed to get the carb, cables, etc. in place. I want to keep as much of the wiring as possible out of sight. I've been trying to be all zen about it, letting the bends and twists of the wires tell me where they want to go. Eh.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/motobuddha/caabcfaa.jpg

I'm at this point as well.   PLEASE,.... save me a lot of work here (I have two bikes to do, eh?)

I have the same desires,.. I want the wiring to be the least untidy.

Once you get a clean routing worked out, please post lots of pics.  Gracias Muchissima.

Ken Slabaugh did an outstanding job on his CS-1,.. the wiring looks airworthy even.  He emailed some pics to me.  I can send them to you, or when I get some time post them here.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #71 - 10/17/11 at 09:48:08

Gyrobob wrote on 10/17/11 at 09:42:31:
MotoBuddha wrote on 10/16/11 at 13:46:04:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/motobuddha/caabcfaa.jpg

I'm at this point as well.   PLEASE,.... save me a lot of work here (I have two bikes to do, eh?)

I have the same desires,.. I want the wiring to be the least untidy.

Once you get a clean routing worked out, please post lots of pics.  Gracias Muchissima.

Ken Slabaugh did an outstanding job on his CS-1,.. the wiring looks airworthy even.  He emailed some pics to me.  I can send them to you, or when I get some time post them here.

I spent some time this morning (one of the "benefits" of being underemployed) cutting back the factory electrical tape so things would route better. Now I'm about to lengthen the ignition switch wires, after I make a run to the store for some wire.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #72 - 10/17/11 at 12:40:22

There is a way to lengthen the ignition switch wiring at http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1312137269.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #73 - 10/17/11 at 13:03:19

Yeah, I had seen that and did pretty much the same thing, soldering the connections and all that.

I panicked for a moment because I had two brown wires and hadn't marked which was which. But then I noticed they both went to the same point on the connector, so it didn't matter.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #74 - 10/17/11 at 13:07:42

Yea, I thot I made a mistake once, too,, but I was wrong..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 09:34:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Project: Phase 4

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.