Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Savage Scrambler Build (Read 3997 times)
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Re: Savage Scrambler Build
Reply #30 - 04/12/11 at 21:24:16

Well guys, I finally got the scrambler build to a point that I needed to get some welding done.  As I mentioned earlier in this post, I have no welder...or welding skills.  That needs to change in the future.
Yesterday I dropped the bike off at a local bike shop that specializes in choppers, but typically works on anything.  They have a pretty good rep in town, and seemed a little excited almost about my slightly out of the ordinary project, so I let them do work.  It looks like they are going to do 4 things for me.
1.  fab top tubes and mounting points for the front of the tank, rear of tank and same for the seat.
2.  Lengthen the swingarm 2"
3.  fab a stainless steel highpipe (example pic below) after I bring them an Emgo shorty reverse cone muffler 17"(ordered and on its way)
4.  move my forward pegs and controls to mids after I bring in some take offs from something (any suggestions here?) for them to work with.
I'm a bargain hunter at heart so I was a little set back by how much this would cost, but that's what I get for not having these skills or tools and that's what they get for having them.  Plus I don't want this to be shoddy work.

Anyone care to take a guess at what all of this work will cost?

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #31 - 04/13/11 at 05:03:43

You might be able get some mid foot peg arms from the scrapped frame of an old "standard" bike or dirt bike.

A small complication is the kickstand, which currently folds up right where the left peg would go. So while you're hacking up that scrapped frame, you might as well grab the kickstand assembly.

Or you can contact Ryca about their kickstand relocation piece. But they won't be selling individual parts from their kit until after they get all the complete kit orders filled.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #32 - 04/13/11 at 05:09:27

mpnoffi wrote on 03/29/11 at 18:30:02:
I'll probably need to lengthen the swingarm about 1-2" to clear this tire and still be able to adjust the chain.

Or you can notch the crossbar.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #33 - 04/14/11 at 17:12:28

Poop.  I havent though about the kickstand.  Should be pretty easy/cheap to figure out.  I ended up buying dirt bke pegs from a Honda XL125.  The shop I have the bike at now will weld them on with a shifter...not sure how to manage the rear brake though.  Hopefully getting "creative" wont equal getting expensive.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #34 - 04/15/11 at 04:12:04

A brake pedal from any standard bike with a drum brake should work -- the kind that's connected to the brake arm by a rod instead of a cable. Then you just need to find a rod that's long enough, or adjust the length of whatever you find.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #35 - 05/06/11 at 20:25:34

Here are some updated pics from today after I picked the 650 up from the fab shop.  The tank and seat are just loosley mounted, not finish mounted but you can get the idea now...

Lots left to do but at least now, I can see it start to take shape.  I'll keep you guys in the loop as I get closer to finishing!

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 05/06/11 at 20:45:06

looks awesome

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #37 - 05/07/11 at 07:27:29

What kind of bike did you start with again?  Wink  One hell of a transformation!

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #38 - 05/07/11 at 19:30:27

I love it!  Very cool.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #39 - 05/07/11 at 20:27:15

Love that pipe!

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #40 - 05/07/11 at 21:11:40

Thanks guys!  I'm getting pretty stoked about this thing too.  I'll probably end up riding the pee pee out of this thing for the rest of the summer, then make it look like something over the winter...we'll see.  I'm having a blast with it. Next up is giving the bike a good once over to make sure that everything has been snugged down good and tight.  Then I need to take care of a few things on the motor like the verslavy mod, adjust valves, plug leak, jetting for the new pipe and filter pod etc...
After I build a battery box similar to the Casey's on the Ryca, mount some oval shapped number plates on the sides and add a tail light/license plate mount I'll be ready to ride for the summer!

IP Logged
mpnoffi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis
Reply #41 - 05/07/11 at 21:27:16

On another note... I still have to figure out the whole mid control thing.  I have a set of pegs and mounting brackets, but I need to find a shifter that will clear the stator cover (DR 650 maybe?) and a way to make a rear brake set up.  Any thoughts?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 05/07/11 at 22:31:14

Here's were I'd place it...
There's a rear motor mount bolt, exchange that for one of the long front ones.  And mount the foot peg plate between that and the muffler bracket mount with the other long bolt.

The '86 savage had a different set up.  It used a plate like the right side.  Buy one of those.  Now you got a plate for the left side that just enough back that you can use the same linkage arrangement.

Of course you'll need to space it out from the front like what's currently up front.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #43 - 05/08/11 at 07:25:22

What are you thinking about for a heat shield? Seems like your thigh would get rather toasty.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #44 - 05/08/11 at 14:20:37

How familiar are you with the Tipton/Shelby line at Hwy 14? My 98 LS650 barhopper is parked right next to a 1963 Honda CL72 that has been both a Scrambler and a cafe racer in previous lives... I'm on Deadfall Rd, right on the county line. Can't miss it, C60 bucket truck in the front yard, 49 Dodge truck in my driveway.

Welders, forges, tons of donor metal here. You're welcome to come by any weekend except the night of Friday May 20th. Just PM me ahead of time.

CL frame is uncut if you need some factory Scrambler references.

Cold PBR (best beer for working on bikes, you pee more than you get sloshed) in the fridge.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 05:48:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Scrambler Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.