Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin (Read 530 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin
Reply #45 - 03/07/11 at 23:16:00

Hodgon swears the superperformance stuff adheres to SAAMI maximum chamber pressures for each cartridge, the stuff works by keeping the pressure up at maximum a lot longer than powders used to be able to do.   No sharp pressure peaks, a broad hump instead.

You use all of the barrel length much more efficiently with the new powders, so longer barrels give you even greater speeds than they used to.

This has been verified by folks with pressure transducer rigs on their Ohler 35 chronographs.   It is real and it really works.

What amazes me is the new superperformance powders don't react to hot weather like IMR powders used to do.  

It really is new and better.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #46 - 03/07/11 at 23:23:33

interesting list of rifles for savage this year - wonder if walmart can/will still order all for cheap!

you know the 6.5 all seem a bit exotic to me - rather interesting the .243 is being made - but I guess nothing anymore exotic than
these little .17hmr cci tnt exploding rounds

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #47 - 03/08/11 at 07:15:39

Walmart still sells guns in some states, but they no longer do in mine.

Shame that -- but change is everything.

Savage Stevens are still sold, but they are not the low end Savage any more, the Savage Axis is the low end gun.   It gets good reviews, BTW.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #48 - 03/09/11 at 05:46:21

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/07/11 at 19:10:47:

BabyHog, a pic of your pad and stock with the pad on and off would help.

There have been too many different stocks used on Savage rifles to make any advice "wise" until we have seen what you are really dealing with.

Next, a stray thought.   Is the stock too long or are you having to crane your neck forward because the scope doesn't go back far enough?    (you have to struggle to get forward enough to get the scope rear bell window to fill up properly)

I have faced and beaten both, but they are different animals ....

Daughter is 28 now and designs big construction cranes for a living.  

She are an engineer ....

Ok, here's my Savage Edge .223.  (Which I think they are now calling the Axis, not sure what they changed, or if they changed anything)  I'm extremely happy with it, being my first rifle.  

In answer to your questions, I do have trouble getting close enough to the scope.  We tried several different mounts/rings, etc, tried a couple different scopes (I love the current one, so changing it is not an option) and we can't adjust it back any further.  There might be another ring setup that would work, but that will just cost me more money....  I haven't shot without the pad, but I seem to get better positioning without it, which is why I figure I'll just trim it down.  Just scared to make that first cut...  All tips and suggestions are welcomed...  "Just do it!"  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 03/09/11 at 07:20:30

Savage Edge only had one action length and that was enough for a full length cartridge.   I bet you don't have to stroke the action all the way back for a .223, now do you?   Point being, it's a long action type action.  It is like my bigger rifle as far as putting a scope on it goes.

This is the back view of 2 rifles with the butt plate set up equal.  The two stock's length and drop are the same -- but the scopes are not.

You will notice below that both scopes are backed up all the way that they can go with the front ring hitting the front bell (I have neck and shoulder problems and I need an "upright" head position as I cannot "get down into the scope" any more at all.

How do my scopes manage to work and get back far enough for me to use?   The big scope is a foot and a half long (gives lots of reach back and you notice that I use it all -- with keeping 3.5 inches of eye relief at max magnification as I don't like scope brow bruises or cuts when using the high magnifications (been there, done that -- it hurts and it really messes up a set of glasses).  

It also has a rubber lip on the eye bell as somebody got whacked by it and they changed the eye bell to make it more brow whacking friendly.

The little scope on the little gun has extended eye relief (nearly six inches worth, with 4 inches remaining at highest magnification).   It is a cheap Simmons scope and I have two of them so one can be getting fixed for $10 while the other one does rifle duty.   Not the best scope in the world, but it has independently focusable front and end bells which my poor old eyes require.   You can buy these long eye relief Simmons cheapie scopes for less than $50 on the internet.

Me, I'd change the scope again to a long eye relief model -- or I would look for a Weaver mount that would let you move the front ring back over the action some.   I hate the way that "hanging out over the action" stuff looks though, so I'd go the bigger scope route (or an extended eye relief scope if you wanted the scope to be all short and neat looking).

Shotgun scopes as a class all have extended eye relief and they tend to be small and neat looking scopes.   Lots of longer main rifle scopes have very long eye relief (all the Simmons scopes do).

As you have learned from taking it apart, your first thought of shortening the stock turns into a bit of kerfluffle as the tapered plastic and rubber parts all fit together at the stock length and nowhere else.  

You can cut the plastic stock and epoxy a normal butt plate on to the gun, or cut all the stuff off your existing plate, sand the inside flat and epoxy that on to the cut off stock (after trimming the OD profile back to fit the cut off stock).  Lotsa lotsa work, that.

You could buy (or swap for) a youth stock, which is available for your gun.   Bet it doesn't feel right for your adult body -- go to a gun store and try one out for feel as it costs nothing and answers your question on youth stocks for you right quick like.

Good luck with your choices, but remember your problem isn't the stock -- it is really the scope and mount position.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #50 - 03/09/11 at 07:32:39

Well, thanks.  I wish I had taken a pic with the scope on.  It has variable-intensity red or green lighted reticle.  I don't think I'd find a scope I like any better, so I may do some more searching for different mounts.  Maybe I'll try shooting it without the pad (temporarily attach a thinner one in its place) and see if that helps before chopping into the original pad.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 03/09/11 at 07:38:55

Go to the gun store and measure and try out a youth stock.   If it works good for you, you know how much to saw off the plastic stock on your gun.

A belt sander could reduce the tapered inner part on your existing butt plate to fit the reduced taper on the cut off stock.

Then the butt plate would overhang the cut off stock a little bit, but it would look consistent and "on purpose" since it would be all even looking.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #52 - 03/09/11 at 09:05:22

I'm not cutting the stock.  Just the recoil pad.  I think that extra inch will do it....  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 14:36:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.