Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin (Read 530 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin
03/04/11 at 10:12:10

Here are two new Savages that aren't motorcycles along with what fuels both of them and what fuels me (the coffee).

Everything gunnish is honest and to scale, and I won't fess about the other details until after you guess what the guns and calibers are.

This is the perspective shot that offers the delusions .....

============================

And here are the straight on shots showing same plane alignment of everything and the original Savage bolt handles which were replaced by the longer, much bigger knobbed stainless steel tactical bolt handles which aid in removal of stuck cases (try levering at a stuck case while laying horizontal on your belly in a timed event -- it ain't all that easy to do).

And here is the over sized orange cat playing with the rounds and checking out the coffee cup to see if the cream content is to his liking or not ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin
Reply #1 - 03/04/11 at 10:45:11

Oh my!  One of them a 270??

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 03/04/11 at 10:48:17

Close, the smaller one is a 154 grain 7mm ...

The cat is half main coon and I swear he is still growing as his rear end and rear feet seem to lead the parade and his front end and head catches up later on.   I can still barely span his head with my hand to scratch his head, but that won't be true too much longer.

He still hasn't gotten his ear tufts yet, so he isn't fully mature by normal coon breed characteristics.   His daddy may have been a tiger, who knows?   We picked him up as a cute little bitty kitty from a neighbor whose female coon had gotten out for a romp.

My chair isn't small (nor am I) but he's about outgrown it.

This is a cat that smart dogs don't f**k around with ....  they run up on him barking but reconsider when they get close and realize he's about as big as they are and he isn't even reacting to them.    Then he'll lazily stretch full length and flex his claws and arch his back and they decide to leave about then.   I've never seen him hisss and his yowl is something else (especially if he is inside).

Heck, his claws are now over an inch long and his fangs are over 3/4" long (last time I checked, anyway).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 03/04/11 at 11:04:23

Ok, taller one looks too tall to be 30-06.... so come on, tell me...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 03/04/11 at 11:23:30

It's not a belted magnum, does that help you any?

.... and the "coffee cup" is really a soup mug laying next to a tablespoon

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 03/04/11 at 11:38:15

Doesn't help.  I was looking at the spoon, but I'm really just not good with ammo.  I've tried to understand all the different units to measure them, but there are just too many for me.  I could recognize a few of the normal sizes, but the off-the-wall stuff is just foreign to me.  Why can't there just be a simple standard, like shoe sizes or something?  Too many manufacturers, I guess.  

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 03/04/11 at 11:43:49

Did you shoot that cat to see if the guns work Sad

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 03/04/11 at 11:52:53

No, I'm currently rubbing the cat just to see if my fingers work.

(his rumble purr seems to be working OK)

Yep, gun stuff is strange.  The older stuff used to all be US/British inch based but all of the new stuff is always metric designated.   Plus, a lot of EC countries have a law that says a person cannot own a military weapon (and that includes a military designated cartridge) so the stuff from Lapua for example is always strangely designated on purpose so they can sell it all over the world.  

They will take a 338 bullet and stick it into a 416 Rigby case just to have something that nobody can lay claim to, then the military will pick up on it as being better ballistically than a 300 Winchester Magnum and then they start using it, then Lapua has to change something because the old round is now a military caliber.

Then you got them crazy wildcatters, who like to take large cases like the Remington Ultra Mag family and neck them up and down jest for the fun of it.

So, to play in the game requires a HEAVY 29" long bull barreled rifle just to get the rifle's weight up high enough so you can stand to shoot it.  

And the tactical based game has to be played at a 5,000 yard range at a minimum if you are playing at mixed range long distance tactical, where they don't show you the wind flags until your next shot pops up and you have to laser it, dope your scope and 4 wind flags and shoot it all inside 3 minutes.

I am not a competitor (Fort Bragg has lots of real military professionals that do that part of the shooting game) but I am fascinated by the development of the long range stuff since that has all happened in the last 10 years or so and I like to go to the public shoots and watch them work it all out and send it inside 3 minutes.

I would be tickled to have me a good repeatable 600 yard rifle that could pick a deer off the far edge of a central NC soybean field with complete certainty.   That used to be a fantasy to me, but is now becoming a routine commercial reality.

Give you a clue, in the Android Marketplace is the $9.99 app called SHOOTER that most of the shooters are using on their cell phones and tablets to make doping the scope a "laser it and punch it in" type calculation.  Estimating the wind angles and speeds is the biggest unknown and hardest part of it any more ....

« Last Edit: 03/04/11 at 12:53:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/04/11 at 13:04:51

I've got two of these - same look, cats I mean! Rocky + Ricky!   Wink

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 03/04/11 at 13:14:11

Ok, but you still didn't tell me what the 2 guns in the picture are, dagnabit!!

Have you watched any of the History Channel show called "Top Shot"?  I told my husband he could beat any of those guys.  But I'd hate to have him gone from me long enough to try out for the show.  I like watching the show thought.  I was never interested in guns at all before meeting my current husband 8 years ago, so I'm learning slowly.  But it is all interesting to me.  And I agree the long range stuff is totally amazing!  

(I have a Windows Phone 7, and hubby has an iPhone.  Looked for Shooter app, but don't see it right away.  iPhone probably has it.)

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 03/04/11 at 13:28:09

The two guns on the table are dual pillar bedded Savage rifles that started out stock and got modified some over a period of several years.  

The smaller one (normal sized actually) is intended to be sling carried on walking hunts and the larger one has a sling so it can be toted over to a fixed vantage point where it and I will stay stationary until something walks out into a field and becomes binocular visible.  

(durned if I want to carry it any further than I have to -- it's heavier than a 20 pound orange cat).

Here is an example of just such a shot .....            (BTW, these boys are much better than I will ever be)

Android market, app is called SHOOTER -- here is the link for review and sources for a side load.

http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/

Question:
   Should arrogant Washington politicians mebbe moderate their arrogance in public in light of what you just watched?  

If they become objectionable enough to warrant individual pruning action, would 1) anybody even know where the shot came from and 2) since these rifles all started out as stock Savage and Remington long action rifles and all the bits and pieces are available from many internet sources could the stuff even be traced (assuming there was anything left of the bullet after going through the politician and blasting itself into dust against the concrete wall behind him).

Like I said, I'm not that good, but this stuff is becoming a friggin' televised sport now and lots of folks are pursuing it ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #11 - 03/04/11 at 13:45:12

you could at least put a doily under the coffee cup,or do you like rings on the table. I guess if you ask nicely we could all chip in and buy you a new chair for the cat,that ones a bit threadbare.
I won't mention the wet tea spoon.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 03/04/11 at 14:01:11

Cats are hard on chairs, it is true.   Doilies don't exist in my world, sorry.

When the edge on the table gets frayed (yep, it happens over time) you rotate the table to put the worn edge against the wall.

When I sew the repair patch on to the chair I'll post a pic of what it looks like -- unless the hydraulic lift on the chair goes out first that is in which case I'll trash it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 03/04/11 at 19:31:39

Thats one HUGE Cat,

I like gns, but Im not even almost fluent in them. The few I know, I know, most guns Ive never seen. Youve got a couple of fine ones there, but I would never be able to identify them. PIglet got a lot closer than I would have.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #14 - 03/04/11 at 19:55:16

Hey OF, have you ever played around with good ol black powder in a muzzle loader? I got a chance to blow some smoke out of a .54 caliber Hawkins last weekend. What a blast making tooth picks out of 2x4's at 50 yards. For long guns I have a Sedley Springfield 30-06 which was my dad's and a Remington BDL left handed 30-06 which I bought new back in the early '80s. You still haven't said what that big gun is, maybe a 300 Weatherby Mag?

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 08:57:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.