Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin (Read 530 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin
Reply #30 - 03/07/11 at 08:41:46

Kel, what do you think about it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #31 - 03/07/11 at 08:42:47

Lets see.....
Here is what I got.
1961 J.C. Higgins .22 cal with Crome Bolt and Trigger

2009 Savage MRK2 .22 cal with Bull barrel and the Accutrigger and 3-7X32 with  Scope Can knock the Hair Off a gnat @ 100Yds Left handed Bolt

Unknown year Chinese SKS 7.62X39

Unknown Year Mosin-Nagat 7.62X54r (Model 1891)

Jennings .25Cal Pocket Pistol

Rexio 9 shot .22Cal Revolver

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #32 - 03/07/11 at 08:47:37

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/07/11 at 08:41:46:

Kel, what do you think about it?

.270  just an unedgimacated Guess

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 03/07/11 at 08:57:48

Which one, the little one?   I already said the smaller cartridge is carrying a 154 grain 7mm Interbond on the end of it.

270's topped out at 150 grains and they were .005" smaller diameter than the 7mm slug.

===============================

Now, how's about Reelthing's '06 ?

Me, I think it looks sorta like a short action Savage,  mebbie more of a .308 Winchester cartridge instead of a 30-06 jest from looking at it closely.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #34 - 03/07/11 at 11:06:08

OF, nice story of teaching your wife and daughter to shoot.  How old is your daughter now?  I wouldn't mess with her if she can skip pine cones. LOL

I did get to shoot my hubby's KelTec PF9 a couple of weekends ago.  We sat a red plastic cup at about 35-40 yards, I lined it up, fired once, hit the cup square, and handed it back to him.  He said 'shoot some more'.  I said no, its lined up just fine!  

I'm still debating what to do about my Savage.  The stock is a little long for me, and the recoil pad is pretty thick.  Its synthetic, so I really don't want to shave the stock down.  I'd love to find a different recoil pad, but haven't found any to fit it.  Don't want to use a slip-on.  Its made different than standard.  It slides up into the stock and clicks in.  I'll try to remember to take a pic tonight.  You might be able to help me.  Since it doesn't kick much, I'm considering shaving off the recoil pad, to give me about another inch relief.  I think I could get the OEM replacement if it ever became necessary (like if I ever decided to sell the gun, but I don't foresee that!)  Otherwise, I don't know what else to do....  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #35 - 03/07/11 at 16:30:55

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/07/11 at 08:57:48:

Which one, the little one?   I already said the smaller cartridge is carrying a 154 grain 7mm Interbond on the end of it.

270's topped out at 150 grains and they were .005" smaller diameter than the 7mm slug.

===============================

Now, how's about Reelthing's '06 ?

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i433/Reel_thing/sav3006-1.jpg

Me, I think it looks sorta like a short action Savage,  mebbie more of a .308 Winchester cartridge instead of a 30-06 jest from looking at it closely.

I'll let some body else chamber a .308 in here and pull the trigger I'm not gonna!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #36 - 03/07/11 at 16:33:31

your round a 7mm-08?

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #37 - 03/07/11 at 17:46:23

Piglet, buy a replacement pad and shave it down on a belt sander to fit.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 03/07/11 at 18:18:58

Wheeeee !!!    WE GOT A WINNER !!!

Realthing wins the little rifle contest !!!   7mm-08 it is, a Savage Stevens to be exact.   Mods include increased case cam out ability by means of a large knob longer tactical bolt handle, refinished stock with action bedding, and one stock trigger completely reworked and a very light crown job to remove pushed in burrs left over from the factory crowning cuts.

Here is the whole story behind the rifle, as posted on the "other" gun nut site.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=2735&highlight=Savage+Stevens

Now Reelthing, your rear scope mount was an eyeball fooler when seen from the other side of the gun, it made the action seem shorter when it is not.   My bad.

Grin

Now, who is gonna finish off the second rifle, since you have more than enough clues now (surely you do .... really)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 03/07/11 at 19:10:47

BabyHog, a pic of your pad and stock with the pad on and off would help.

There have been too many different stocks used on Savage rifles to make any advice "wise" until we have seen what you are really dealing with.

Next, a stray thought.   Is the stock too long or are you having to crane your neck forward because the scope doesn't go back far enough?    (you have to struggle to get forward enough to get the scope rear bell window to fill up properly)

I have faced and beaten both, but they are different animals ....

Daughter is 28 now and designs big construction cranes for a living.  

She are an engineer ....

« Last Edit: 03/07/11 at 23:20:18 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #40 - 03/07/11 at 20:22:06

So do I win the rifle?

anyway on the '06 i've only put factory rounds through it - settled on the black hills gold 168 a-max - bought a good many on sale/over stocked or some such a while back - group well

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #41 - 03/07/11 at 20:44:34

Heck no, just the joy of knowing you solved the puzzlement.

Wink

Now, impress us all again and figure out the big rifle

=============================

A-max gets kudos for target shooting and the looooonnnnnggg range boys sometimes use them to shoot game animals at amazingly long distances, knowing by the time the little hand grenades get all the way out to the deer they have slowed way down, slow enough not to be so durn explosive.  

Plus, they are shooting very heavy for the caliber very high BC bullets that don't totally evaporate anyway, the broken pieces weigh enough to dead a deer even though they aren't in the jacket any more.

Same folks used to use Sierra MatchKings to do the same duty, but they like the poly tipped A-Max for the higher BCs that they offer.   Plus the A-Max always opens up because of the poly tip, them all metal Sierra MatchKing itty bitty hollow points sometimes penciled on through without opening up when hair & skin plugged up the little hollow point solid.

==============================

In the past 5 years powders and bullets have taken a quantum leap forward.  Plus, there has been a LOT of consolidation in both industries.

Right now IMR, Winchester and Hodgon are ONE POWDER COMPANY -- that is all your American suppliers conglomerated together.   Powder is not made in the USA any more, some comes from Canada, most actually comes from Scandinavia and the old Soviet republics.

Hodgon has developed new spherical powders using the all the way through the powder grain deterrent techniques taken from Swedish powder makers.  They also CUSTOM MIX different rates of very small spherical powders to make up a dense 100% case filling compressed charge that makes a very broad even pressure curve that maxes out at just the right max pressure for the exact cartridge.

Because of this, built to fit Hodgon powder can turn a 30-06 into 300 Win Mag performance-wise.

At the same time bullets have gotten far far better.   Hornady is the main driver here -- they have begun making bonded bullets that are better performers than Nosler accubonds and they have begun making monolithic gilding metal "X" bullets that easily outperform Barnes X bullets.  You will hear about them as Interbonds and GMX bullets --- but the main point is that a 30-30 using a GMX bullet can kill an elk.   And they can sell a bonded bullet that can go to Africa and kill everything but the elephant out of a 30-06 at the old 30-06 velocities (wasn't allowed to shoot anything less than a 416 Rigby at an elephant by African laws)

Question becomes -- do you really need a magnum any more?

Long range target shooters are all using the new super BC heavy 6.5 bullets to win now, not 30 caliber and not 7mm.   Guess what, the 140 grain and 160 grain 6.5 super hunting bullets available now can kill anything on 4 feet (except elephants and that is only because of the old legal restrictions) at ridiculous distances.   The 260 Remington and the 6.5 Creedmore are taking over the long distance target shooting sports very fast now.   6 and 6.5 BR are taking over benchrest wholesale, no point in bringing a .308 to the match any more.

These same guns can kill deer at those same very long distances ....

And they don't kick your shoulder off either.   Getting your shoulder kicked is becoming passe very quickly in all the shooting sports.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Click on target rifles, then long range precision rifles and the pure open match rifles -- you no longer even see the .308 listed any more except in the military Palma match classes where it is required.

« Last Edit: 03/07/11 at 22:50:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #42 - 03/07/11 at 22:47:26

The beltless larger round just doesn't look like anything exotic to my eyes - and since the 7mm-08 is really a .308 with a 7mm neck the round is the same length so the larger round looks to be a .30-06 size round could be a tad longer just can't tell - could be a .280 rem or something

the rifle looks like a bull barrel'd savage 110 can't see if it has a accu-trig or not - doubt it if it's an older buildup.

it's a 30-06

my guess

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 03/07/11 at 23:00:48

He's winner --  2 for 2

It is a long bull barreled 30-06 that started out life as a Police SWAT rifle that couldn't sell because everyone wanted a .308 short bull barrel SWAT rifle.   Bought it brand new (unfired and 2 years discontinued) for dirt cheap.

Using modern powders and bullets and the Shooter program on an android tablet there is nothing that you can see from where ever you are that this rifle cannot drop a 165 grain Interbond into (and kill handily).

Yup, has the accutrigger and that year's accustock, has all the goodies that the Police line had to offer at that point in time.

And because it weighs so durn much it doesn't kick very much at all.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #44 - 03/07/11 at 23:05:21

Certainly is rapid devlopment is rounds for sure - some pretty high pressures - certainly blow apart older chambers - on the little side - rim fire - the .17hmr just are not being beat any longer where they are
allowed

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 09:30:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.