Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin (Read 530 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin
Reply #15 - 03/04/11 at 21:15:55

Weatherby magnums always had a belt on the case, and you will note none of these modern large cartridges are belted.   Headspacing off a belt doesn't work near as accurately as headspacing off the front shoulder of the case (and using cases that are neck sized only after being fired in your own gun's chamber so they are a custom snug fit).

But then you are likely gonna need a longer stronger bolt camming action to cam the case out after firing it once again on a moderately hot round ....

=================

My first pistol was a cap and ball Remington Italian copy.   Still got it as a matter of fact.    It was a blast to shoot at night (threw a cone of sparking smoke filled nasty that would night blind you it was so bright and showy).   You could actually see the cylinder flash out past the barrel cylinder junction ....   your hand was plumb buried in fire for an instant there buddy.

=================

No, all I've actually said so far in response to direct questions is that it isn't a belted magnum and the small one is tipped with a 154 grain 7mm bullet and fits into a standard sized rifle.   Given that you should be able to figure out what the short one is and then use that to project a reasonable guess as to the bigger one.

Then again, few our age are real gun nuts any more -- although it seems to be a lot more popular among young people than you might think.   They grew up with shoot'um up video games and when they hit 14-16 they started buying airsoft replicas and then they YouTube themselves doing head shots on deer and silly stuff like that when they hit 18 and can buy a real rifle and go hunting.

Gun culture seems to be doing fine -- there are far more guns, types of guns, pistols, etc now than there ever have been.  

And it does seem to ring true the same ones also ride dirt bikes & mountain bikes when young, too.    Guess what they become ....  us

Women support pistol use quite a bit now (the great equalizer) and the largest indoor range and gun store in Raleigh NC is owned and run by a woman and has women only concealed carry classes where she teaches women how to (and when it is permitted to) pop the bastard instead of letting him rape you.

Go girls, go !!

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 03/04/11 at 21:55:27

A friend had  45-70 rifle. He told me I could see the bullet as it flew away, IF Id stand behind him & shut my eyes till I heard the gun fire. ( We were in the road, in front of the car, at night, with the headlights on) He shot it & I opened my eyes & I could see that .45" lead turd lumbering away, That was fun..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 03/05/11 at 00:24:21

I have a 300 savage that was made in the 50's, and 2 Stayer Manlicher 30-06 sniper rifles with floating barrels and dual triggers and gas powered scopes. The 300 Savage is just as good  a gun and still my favorite to shoot. Hardly kicks at all and you can drive nails at 150 yds.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 03/05/11 at 02:12:40

I too own a couple of Steyr rifles, but they are the M95s from before they got conglomerated in with Mannlicher.   Not nearly as pretty as your guns.

Once diabetes kicked in good my left eye became noticeably better than my right, so I chose to accommodated the change with this rifle since I had to build the scope mount using a stock shotgun mount as a metal plus blank.

Turned out pretty good ...  peek through the scope left eyed, work the straight pull action right handed.

Cartridge is an old black power era case with LOTS & LOTS of modern capacity and it fires a mildly resized .338 bullet (resized down to .334" for my gun).  Recoil can be as much as you care to withstand accordingly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #19 - 03/05/11 at 07:56:49

Gun culture is doing ok but the hunting culture is'nt so hot. Last time i looked only 3 or 4 states even met or exceded replacement rates for new hunters.
In other words not enough young people were takeing up the sport to replace the older hunters who have left the sport through age, death ect.

In the last few years though more women have began to take up the sport, which makes up for some of the young males who don't due to video games ect. MO had about the best replacement rate but it was only 1.6. Most states were less then equal running .6 to .8 or so.

#1 sport for women was bow hunting followed by spring turkey(shotgun) then firearms deer hunting.
Each sex has advantages the other dosent have to an extent.
Males generaly do better in the more physical areas of the sport for one. Females generaly have more patiance then the males of the species.

One small note to the females looking to take up hunting or shooting. Find someone to teach you. Husbands, brothers and boyfriends make the WORST teachers. Less patiance then a stranger or instructor.
This has been proven over and over in studies.

Competetitive shooting has seen more women take up the sport in the last 10 years or so as well. Used to be primarily a male dominated sport. You used to NEVER see a women compete and if she did it was in a female only class years ago.
Now days some of them gals will SMOKE your arse if your not real carefull in competetitive shooting. Some of them are pretty good hunters as well. Wink

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 03/05/11 at 08:52:58

Pilot testing shows that women have better hand/eye coordination than men.

Historically, women pilots have better service records than men pilots in the same craft and runs.

If you play a girl in a computer shooter game that she likes, she'll wax your butt.

Given a rifle or pistol that fits her (and I mean both stock length, drop, weight and recoil) you had better watch out.

I have taught 2 women to shoot.   My wife listened and did exactly what she was told and hit dead center on her first shot -- didn't like a pistol's recoil so she stopped after 3 dead center shots.  She felt satisfied she could do it as it wasn't that hard.   She was right.

My daughter as an 8-9 year old was given a .357 in a cross body draw holster with some very low level 38 special level reloads and she liked to play a walking game called "shoot the pine cone".  I'd toss a random pine cone from behind her and she'd make it roll around some for a quick 6 shots.   She got cocky and would sometimes take one while it was still in the air when the bouncing on the ground stuff got too tame.   She was a good reflex shooter.

She currently owns a .40 S&W Glock that she likes because it shoots well for her.

God help the whacked out druggie that tries to mess with her family -- a pine cone is a lot smaller than his head is and she understands what constitutes a good shoot too.   She also has 13 rounds instead of six, so his buddies can have some too.

Women should NOT be helpless or dependent on sometimes absent men to protect them.  Women are much more situation-ally aware than men are generally speaking -- they can move to avoid most nasty messes but they do need to be willing and able to take care of the messes that still keep coming at them after they try to avoid them.

« Last Edit: 03/05/11 at 10:27:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 03/05/11 at 10:57:34

I like watchin th women play pro level pool. They can Shoot some danged 9 ball..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 03/05/11 at 23:06:38

Yeah, I like that brunette girl from Vegas -- she totally distracts all men she plays against every time she leans across the table to make a shot.

Beautiful smart women who can play pool really well -- what's not to like?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 03/06/11 at 03:06:55

gettin beat?

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #24 - 03/06/11 at 09:20:23

Ive seen some studies said women had better eye hand coordination and some that did'nt.
In 'General' a larger percentage of women have better eye hand coordination then most men. Its not a blanket rule. Theres a lot of men just as good or better then most women.
One easy test is the old pegboard speed test. Set em down at a table with a pegboard and time em as they stick pegs in the board in order. Most women will beat most men but not all. Runs about 8-2 on average.

I shot competitively for many years, mostly long range big bore pistol wiht some big bore rifle and small bore as well.
Taught hunter safety and firearms instruction for over 15 years as well for a state agency. Id whole lot rather teach a woman then a man....they LISTEN! Kids are a lot of fun as well.
Taught at some women in the outdoors events for the NWTF for a few years as well. Those were fun.
Many women had never held a gun let alone shot one but they picked up the basics pretty fast. Same way with archery.

Outdoor cooking and fly fishing were popular but black powder shooting really got a crowd usualy. Clay bird shooting was always real popular as well. Once they got over their fear of recoil and the BOOM they took to shooting like pigs to mud.
But for gods sake dont EVER bring a 6 foot rat snake into a pavillion unannounced wrapped around your arm. Grin
When they first see it its like haveing a bunch of deer caught in the headlights, heads raised,big eyes and ready to bolt...lol
When your the only guy among 20 women you also learn what a soup bone in a dog pound feels like...rofl I miss those days. Grin

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #25 - 03/06/11 at 13:56:17

here's a couple mo savages - a .17hmr and a '06

keep waiting to burn out the factory barrel on the '06 so I can
replace it - but it still hits under a moa if I'll do my part after a 1k
rounds or so and of course the 17hmr shoots the eyeballs out of a fly
in the right hands

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 03/07/11 at 00:56:37

Now there are a couple of Savages that are typical of the breed.

They shoot good from stock and they have been tweeked some by the owner to make them even better.

Choate stock on the '06?   (That third leg in the back kinda gives it away)

What sort of hand loads do you use in the '06?  

============================

Speaking of bullets, Hornady built some OEM cannalured Interbonds for an OEM that apparently rejected the shipments -- Hornady then eventually sold the custom cannalured stuff to Midsouth who put them out as "nameless blems" for half the normal price.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/blem_bullets.asp

You click on the picture of the bullets to go to the page that lists the bullets still remaining on sale.

Now these half price blems are on sale for the next 2 weeks  -- check it out and buy a few bags of a very durn good hunting bullet at a very good price.

Both of my rounds are tipped with some of these blem Interbond bullets.

(this is a hint, BabyHog)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #27 - 03/07/11 at 02:10:37

Speaking of bullets....
Most folks know polishing the chamber and crowning the muzzle helps accuracy.
What a lot don't know or relize is the variance in weights of even good match grade bullets.
Most will vary +/- 2 1/2 grains or more. This dosent bother most folks hunting but long range shooting it can cause problems, especialy when you work in the variances in brass, powder and primer burn rates.

Trick many of us used to do is weigh each and every bullet and try to stay within +/- 1 grain. Even buying match kings and buying all our bullets from the same lot.
Did the same on brass, powder and primers.
Different powder and primers from the same manufacturer will vary burn rates slightly with each different lot number. Buy bulk from the same lot number.
Same with primers. Different brands will vary more.
Brass wise we always bought from the same manfacturing facility by checking the headstamp markings. Wall Thickness will vary slightly from each brass facility changeing internal pressure a bit.
Federal for example used to have 3 different brass manufactureing facilities that manufactured all their brass.
Keep in mind military brass is thicker then civilian brass as well. Enough so to need to drop your powder weights by 2-3 grains anyway.
Or risk head seperation or split cases.
Tie em all together and you wont notice much at a 100 yards but 200 and beyond you will, especialy with any kind of a crosswind.

Some even used a micrometer to check seating depth on each and every bullet to the thousandth of an inch.
I usualy eyeballed em good and checked about 1 in 5 myself.
Them lil cheap fiber board nail files work real well to touch up them bullet points after seating.
One other lil trick was leave off the smokes, caffinated pop and coffee/tea for at least 15 minutes before going on the shooting line.
Nicotine from the smokes will make your nerves have tiny lil misfires, twitchs. Caffine is almost as bad.

Any of you guys/gals shooting a .204?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 03/07/11 at 02:55:06

Not me, I tended to use a 6.5 or now-a-days a 7mm for shooting at them little varmint types.

Went prairie dogging once when I lived in Wichita Kansas and they got after me for "not doing it right".

I was shooting a 6.5x55 Swede and I was using 120 grain hunting bullets that I had already loaded, so to try to get the red mist and the flying pop up to show properly I was aiming low and sending the round through part of the lip of the hill to get the bullet all fully expanded before hitting the rodent's lower half, blowing him up out of the hill like a ballistic missile launch (a huge blast of dust, with the rodent top half departing vertically, very visibly arching out over the dog town trailing dust after it).

I was "ruining the dogtown" and I wasn't asked back again ....

« Last Edit: 03/07/11 at 19:05:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 03/07/11 at 06:03:03

That was funny, ,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 14:57:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Two new Savages for BabyHog and Justin

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.