Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Oil temps and usage comparison (Read 3373 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oil temps and usage comparison
Reply #15 - 08/30/10 at 17:19:27

Jest how many quarts of Klotz did you buy?   I assume you are gonna use it all up so you will be reporting total useage over the entire time span.

Hey, at the rate you bleed oil you really don't need to be making any oil changes, just an occasional purge at oil filter change time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 08/30/10 at 21:13:49

It don't bleed, it vaporates.

bought a case

I tell ya, my uphill speed has been hovering around 85 since I got this motor.  1st week I had it... wasn't meaning to... but hit 90.

while true, I am replacing the whole volume over 2 months... how do I flush out the bad sh!t?  old rotellas and such.   Grin

So who's going to give me a deal on amsoil?

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 08/31/10 at 05:13:47

From your description, you are using about a quart of oil every thousand miles. You are also reporting oil temperatures generally under 200 F; and head temperatures not a lot higher. With the oil flash point reported as being well over 300 F, I doubt the oil is evaporating or boiling off. I think the engine is burning it. Depending on your fuel mileage, that's about a quart for twenty to twenty-five gallons of gas, or call it 100:1 mixture. If a two-stroke burns a 100:1 mix, you have to watch closely to see any smoke. I've been wrong before, but that's my guess.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 08/31/10 at 07:44:25

It doesn't use any oil durring the winter.
cept for leaking, but that's hardly any.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 08/31/10 at 09:18:58

Cylinder wall losses, rings and valve seals, air borne particles exiting the crankcase pressure bypass system up in the head.

While it is true all our bikes do lose less oil in wintertime and more in the summer, it still has to take one of these exit pathways.

Hummmmm .....   for the shits and giggles of it how about replacing the metal screening in the head bypass area with a much finer mesh something (like a rolled up fabric or a felt for example) just to see if it makes any difference?   Might make it a lot worse if pressure could build up inside the crankcase -- mebbe this could be a very bad idea.

Other than that, fresh valve seals and new piston rings and a hone job on the cylinder wall?

I bet you got very little remaining cross hatch and your rings are well worn by 25,000 miles.

"Excuse for high compression 97mm piston have you" sez old Yoda.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/31/10 at 09:54:50

yes, I have new viton seals and a high compression 95mm piston waiting, cams that need regrinding and cylinders that need reboring.  All watching, waiting... sometimes the wispering is too... too... but I digress.

Way ahead of ya OF, keep meaning to stop and pick up a breather puke pot.  I do find oil in my airbox.  And if it had a cool place to condense, it may settle out and return to the case.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 08/31/10 at 10:49:06

verslagen1 wrote on 08/31/10 at 09:54:50:
yes, I have new viton seals and a high compression 95mm piston waiting, cams that need regrinding and cylinders that need reboring.  All watching, waiting... sometimes the wispering is too... too... but I digress.

Way ahead of ya OF, keep meaning to stop and pick up a breather puke pot.  I do find oil in my airbox.  And if it had a cool place to condense, it may settle out and return to the case.

How much oil do you find in your airbox? Whenever I drain the airbox, about once a month, I get about 3-4 drops diluted in water.
Also about oil consumption: I usually use about a shot glass full every 1,000 miles in summer. That's with 20W-50 oil. Recently I did a few trips with my wife at 80-90 miles an hour most of the time in 95 degree heat, and that's when it used more like 2-3 shot glasses full. But imagine how hard that motor had to work doing that. I do not ride like this most of the time. I change oil every 1,500 miles. I don't care about the cost, it makes me feel better, because of the heat that motor produces, especially in Oklahoma summers. It won't financially ruin me, but a blown motor would. Whether it's isn't necessary, doesn't matter. When I drain it after 1,500 miles it's quit dark and looks like it needs to get out. That is the same no matter what brand I used.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 08/31/10 at 11:23:12

ralfyguy wrote on 08/31/10 at 10:49:06:
How much oil do you find in your airbox? Whenever I drain the airbox, about once a month, I get about 3-4 drops diluted in water.

I checked a week or 2 after the oil change, which I'm sure I drained at that time and got a couple of teaspoons of red stuff.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 08/31/10 at 15:21:50

I don't exactly know what's considered normal, but that sounds like quiet a bit for 2 weeks. I don't mean to sound offensive, but it looks like that motor could be a tad worn out. Does it still pull strong though?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 08/31/10 at 16:06:15

No problem, say what you will, I'm looking truth, after all, the engine has 30k miles on it.

But, don't worry about pull.  I have an uphill on my way home that has developed into my performance monitor, tweak this or that and how fast do I go up it.  It's always done about 85 at full throttle.  and I got the engine with about 10k on it.  Believe it or not, same stock plug, same stock air filter.  With the same oil, it's still doing 85 up the hill.   Grin  And same as the '96 I had before it.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #25 - 08/31/10 at 18:19:28

Hehehehe I have the same kind of "Test Track". It is US69 going north with real nice smooth concrete with concrete barrier on the median with those green vertical slates or whatever you call it on top. And lake most of the way on the right side. 20 miles like that. Other than from the air, almost impossible for cops to catch you. Even if they come from the opposite direction and they could manage to radar or laser you, they couldn't even turn around. Anyways, it's got a long 5 mile stretch that is completely flat, and a hill like yours where she barely makes it to 85, if you whip her ass real bad. Now the only problem is the wind, because here it usually does around 15-25mph from the south most days. That is where it gets really interesting. Going north with that wind in the back I once had to back off around 97mph, turning about 6,700rpm. It kept going, but I quit there, because i was afraid to blow the motor. That was on the flat stretch. Turned around and she struggled to make it to 90mph. Indicated about 88mph, and the wind pressure in the face was just nuts! Like I said, the wind is the problem. Every now and then I catch a calm day and she will do about 93mph either way, except the hill will not allow more than 85mph. That is about 20 miles one way, and after some of those test runs with the high wind at full throttle the whole time I manged to blow almost 3/4 of the tank! Shocked Shocked Shocked Cheesy And the funny thing is, that she actually feels pretty stable doing speeds like that. I can do 55+ miles a gallon if I ride relaxed and at speeds 20-30mph below that, but IF I get on it hard then she starts drinking like a horse!  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #26 - 09/03/10 at 06:30:20

I'm not completely sure whether you are running the standard crankcase breather into the standard airbox, but from your description of finding a little oil in the airbox it seems you are. In that case any oil that boils off or evaporates finds its way back into the combustion chamber and burns.

Now that you have data for Rotella 5W-40 synthetic, and at least some data for Klotz MX-4 15W-50, it might be interesting (and less expensive) to try Rotella 15W-40 conventional oil and see what happens.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 09/03/10 at 17:36:06

the bikes all stock except for the muffler and the main jet.

started our with the rotdino, not looking back.  especially not during the summer.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 09/03/10 at 17:51:08

Justin uses white jug Rotella T dino, he has the same oil consumption issues too.

I think we will all use some more oil as the mileage racks up on our Savages.

Is any dino oil significantly "better" than other dino oils?  

In a Savage, kinda doubtful at this stage of things.

Do I have to use synthetic oil?

Me, yes -- but it is a personal quirk because dino oil failed me once in a car engine and scrapped out the vehicle.  
Pissed me off large it did.

Synthetic oil can stand more heat and more abuse than dino oils can and simply keep on going, this is proven by lots of testing and long distance racing and 18 wheeler high mileage experience.

Synthetic oils can also support much longer drain intervals (if you have filtration enough to do it).

I've been running the same crank case full of RotSyn since before the first Dragon run.   I've added some, yes, because I too use oil.   But I won't change it until Christmas or thereabouts.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #29 - 09/03/10 at 21:50:58

Somehow, I suspect that oil consumption will not be greatly affected by the type of oil, conventional or synthetic, unless there is a major difference in oil evaporation at normal engine temperatures. My suggestion of trying Rotella conventional 15W-40 was more from curiosity about temperatures than consumption. It seems from Verslagen's posted data that consumption of 5W-40 and 15W-50 is about the same, but temperatures differ.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 08:00:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil temps and usage comparison

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.