Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25
Send Topic Print
here is my savage, kinda (Read 14275 times)
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: here is my savage, kinda
Reply #90 - 02/22/10 at 16:37:24

70's moto GP bike

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #91 - 02/22/10 at 18:36:39

The tank looks almost smooth enough to apply a few coats of primer, sand and call it good.  I'd be leery of sanding or grinding lead though.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #92 - 02/22/10 at 18:41:21

Truckinduc wrote on 02/22/10 at 16:30:01:
think im gonna try my hand at smoothing the rough sheetmetal with lead. Anyone ever work with it before? Gonna look up some tutorials on it.  

Tips or tricks will be greatly appreciated.

And as always I love comments and or criticism on this build.

Actually, yes I have, but it's been quite a while ago, back in school.  Out teacher said it was optional, since it's a hazardous substance, but it's good to know, and not many teach it anymore.  Plus the "lead" sticks they sell these days are pretty much lead free I believe, mostly tin and something I can't remember.  Anyway, The Eastwood Company has a lot of supplies for this stuff, I used to get their magazines all the time:
http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=lead&p=Q&ts=custom

The gist of it is: you have to prepare the surface, you can use a flux made for it, but our teacher just had us use acid-core solder, it'll stick to the metal (clean metal!) also.  Heat the surface until the solder will melt and stick to it, then smear it over the surface with steel wool until you've got your area covered.  Then heat your stick of lead until it's soft enough to smear some dabs onto your area, keeping the area warm enough for the lead to stick.  Careful not to overheat it, it'll run off, and potentially ruin your shoes, not to mention the feet inside them! Shocked  Then you'll need something to shape the lead; a wooden paddle coated with either parafin or beeswax will work, beeswax is best since it doesn't smoke, and smells good!  Just melt a little puddle of wax with your torch, and smear the paddle around in it.  This keeps the lead from sticking to the paddle.  Use the paddle to shape the lead to your liking, then let it cool off.  Use a body file (http://www.eastwood.com/file-holder-flexible-with-mill-cut-body-file.html) to fine tune it, and wet sand to finish.  A power grinder or sander is not recommended, since it throws lead dust into the air, not good! Tongue
I'm sure I've left stuff out, I haven't done it in over 15 years, but that's the basics.  It's actually pretty easy, and has the advantage of durability, and the shrinkage/expansion rate more closely matches that of the metal underneath.  Our teacher recommended it over plastic for things like door pillars, and anything with a sharp corner likely to get chipped out if using plastic filler.

My $.02! Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #93 - 02/22/10 at 18:49:06

Nope no paint boule, other than clear coat.

THANKS JOHN D!

That really helps.  My only real concern was the tinning process and getting the lead to adhere to the steel. Most of the spots are gonna be very thin, about 1/16th at most.

So acid core solder will help it bond. Cant wait to try it tomorrow.  Better finish all my welding first though, I could just see all my hard work melting off.

ill take pics

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #94 - 02/22/10 at 19:53:44

Truckinduc wrote on 02/22/10 at 18:49:06:
Nope no paint boule, other than clear coat.

THANKS JOHN D!

That really helps.  My only real concern was the tinning process and getting the lead to adhere to the steel. Most of the spots are gonna be very thin, about 1/16th at most.

So acid core solder will help it bond. Cant wait to try it tomorrow.  Better finish all my welding first though, I could just see all my hard work melting off.

ill take pics

You're welcome.  Hey, I actually gave advice!  Hope it works... Undecided

If the solder doesn't work for some reason, try the commercial stuff, although the solder should work.  We alternately used some kinda acid flux, and applied the lead stick directly to the metal after wiping the substrate with the flux.  Not sure exactly what it was, I think some kind of mild acid.  Looked like water and had a slightly sour odor to it.

If you have to weld the tank later, as long as it's not near enough the lead to heat it up much, it shouldn't hurt it.  If I remember right, there's some kinda clay-like substance you can put in a line around areas you're welding on thin sheet metal, that acts like a kind of heat sink, to keep the heat from spreading to surrounding areas quite as much.  A welding supply shop should know more about it.

Edit: Well whadayaknow?  Eastwood has it too! http://www.eastwood.com/coldshield-thermal-paste.html

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #95 - 02/23/10 at 02:55:55

Old Citroens (GS and 2CV) had them too, brakes on the tranny. Hope this pictures shows up:

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #96 - 02/25/10 at 17:05:18

Made a threaded female adapter at school.  Not as easy as it looks, internal threads can be a pregnant dog.

shaped the tank how I wanted it, and tacked it in.

I oversized the threads slightly to account for the shrinkage due to welding. It slill was a little tight afterward, but a little tap magic and its all good.

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #97 - 02/25/10 at 17:06:03

got my front sprocket.  apparently ive got something mixed up. the 520 sprocket i ordered doesnt fit what i thought was a 520 chain. Its also narrower than my ducati rear sprocket.

Can anyone mic their 520 sprocket with so i can compare?

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #98 - 02/25/10 at 17:06:53

not that you havent seen this view before

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #99 - 02/26/10 at 03:57:14

Truckinduc wrote on 02/25/10 at 17:06:03:
got my front sprocket.  apparently ive got something mixed up. the 520 sprocket i ordered doesnt fit what i thought was a 520 chain. Its also narrower than my ducati rear sprocket.

Yo Truck!  I am running 520 sprockets and they mic out at .230" thick.  My old 530's off my GSXR are .430.  If your Duc sprocket is in between then it is probably for a 525 chain.

Best resource I have found for sprocket info is to use the catalog and then the cross refernce resources on www.jtsprockets.com

Hey when you get a chance take a look at the build I am working on at http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1257039622/0  then take a look at my previous 2 bikes at http://street-unique.home.att.net/  I think you will like Bad Attitude

Keep up the great build!

« Last Edit: 02/26/10 at 05:50:04 by smokin_blue »  
WWW   IP Logged
miker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas, USA
Reply #100 - 02/27/10 at 06:41:02

prsavage wrote on 02/11/10 at 10:03:47:
I vote for leaving the seat bottom open, more interesting to see the skeleton of it.  I love the soft tail swingarm mod, you are a very talented builder/fabricator.

I agree- boxing it in hides your skills- which are worth showing.
This is how choppers are built- by hand in your shop, not by writing a 30K check to some guys with a bunch of sponsers. Fine work!

None of us know as much as all of us!
  IP Logged
miker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texas, USA
Reply #101 - 02/27/10 at 07:00:57

bill67 wrote on 02/22/10 at 12:31:39:
  Truck all your work looks really good,But I don't think that brake is going to work very good.

I'm going to have to disagree on this one. I have seen several brakes set up this way- even from the factory. The brake is stopping a bike that weighs in at <400 lbs. even though it apparently may be going very fast.

None of us know as much as all of us!
  IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #102 - 02/28/10 at 18:31:36

rear tank mount done

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #103 - 02/28/10 at 18:38:37

smokin_blue wrote on 02/26/10 at 03:57:14:
Truckinduc wrote on 02/25/10 at 17:06:03:

Yo Truck!  I am running 520 sprockets and they mic out at .230" thick.  My old 530's off my GSXR are .430.  If your Duc sprocket is in between then it is probably for a 525 chain.

Best resource I have found for sprocket info is to use the catalog and then the cross refernce resources on www.jtsprockets.com

Hey when you get a chance take a look at the build I am working on at http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1257039622/0  then take a look at my previous 2 bikes at http://street-unique.home.att.net/  I think you will like Bad Attitude

Keep up the great build!

Yep mine is a 525 it is .282"

Really cool Smokin Blue.   My dad and I are building a Cafe out of a Savage motor also. Ill see If I can find some pictures of it.

Im also really into street fighters, just finished building a honda, and ill eventually finish my Ducati.

IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #104 - 03/01/10 at 16:07:02

steering damper is all mounted up. Gonna cut out a gusset for it tomorrow.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:58:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › here is my savage, kinda

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.