Send Topic Print
Future Cafe help!!!!! (Read 282 times)
Mospagats
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Future Cafe help!!!!!
07/28/16 at 11:25:56

Hey there friends, newb here. My name is Mo and I've had my savage for a few months now and I love it. However I do have a dream of it being a personalized Cafe, something I can put together or fabricate myself. I know that I could take the Ryca route but again, I want something a little more personal. But I need help getting started. Soooooooo my questions are:

What tanks are a good fit with minor fabrication?

Best way to install rearsets?

What non-wired wheels are the best fit?  18\19in preferred

Can I switch rear brake to disk?

And any other advice for this newb would be awesome.  Thanks everyone and cheers!!!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Future Cafe help!!!!!
Reply #1 - 07/28/16 at 11:37:01

You can find the Bike Builds thread at the top of this RSD page.  Members have used several different tanks in their builds, including the stock tank.

The rearset mounts is tough to make if you don't have cutting and welding and drilling tools.

Changing the rear drum brake to a disc is a major undertaking.  Most likely it is the "if you have to ask...you most likely don't have the skills needed to make the conversion" kind of thing.  Making a hub/disc/caliper/pressure cylinder/pedal arrangement is very involved, and even then you are going to have a bit of a challenge getting the pedal pressure/brake force workable.  The rear hub may not look the way you want - but it works very well.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Mospagats
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/28/16 at 11:47:29

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I did take a look through the builds and got a couple of ideas but they were also a bit older so I wanted to see if I could get any other/more current ideas.

I have access to everything I need for fabrication as well so that's not something I'm too worried about.

I also figured that the brake conversion might be a pain, but nothing  afraid to take on. While I might not be knowledgeable to start, it doesn't take much for me to learn and I try to be as mechanically inclined as possible.  But the main reason for me asking is because I wanted to switch the wheels out to a nice 5 spoke or something similar, and if I ended up with a wheel from a bike that was disk to begin with then I would like to keep it that way for sure.

I appreciate the help so far though and look forward to learning the ins and outs of the cafe conversion process. Any and all help and advice is super welcome.

Cheers

IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/28/16 at 12:17:16

I know in my 83 Scamp truck it was about braking ratio front to rear.  You don't want the rear locking up at minimal pressure.

IP Logged
Mospagats
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/28/16 at 12:22:23

Ah I see. Well it is more of an optional thing that I might want to do so I'll do some more research on the brake situation.

However any other sound Cafe build advice is more than welcome. Any recommendations or things to keep an eye out for to make the build itself as streamlined as possible.  Thanks a lot, I really am finding more out as I go so I appreciate everything.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/28/16 at 12:44:40

Do you WANT the disk brake just because it's sexier or to point to and say
I did that
And both are reason enough for some,
Or, are you unhappy with the stock rear brake?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/28/16 at 12:48:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/28/16 at 12:44:40:
Do you WANT the disk brake just because it's sexier or to point to and say
I did that
And both are reason enough for some,
Or, are you unhappy with the stock rear brake?

Mospagats wrote on 07/28/16 at 11:47:29:
But the main reason for me asking is because I wanted to switch the wheels out to a nice 5 spoke or something similar, and if I ended up with a wheel from a bike that was disk to begin with then I would like to keep it that way for sure.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/28/16 at 13:07:56

If he lands a Prepackaged disk, sure, but I wasn't sure if he was determined to go with a disk, if the wheel is drum. I wouldn't have a clue how to swap a wheel from drum to disk.

Having equipment available is great. Having the imagination and ability to make it happen? I've done some pretty tricky stuff, I don't want any of that. Good luck, I will be following your progress and helping if I can.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/28/16 at 13:15:43

In the tech section index you'll find a link to cast wheel conversion.

as far as rear disc goes, I'd love to but too much trouble.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/28/16 at 13:47:06

Is this your first bike....and your only one?

How long have you been riding?

You should be riding your bike and planning/scheming/gathering stuff before you tear the bike apart.  Nothing worse than tearing a bike apart for a long project - only to find out that it takes all riding season to get the project done.  The transformation can occur over the winter, and you won't watch others ride by as yours is sitting in the garage.  (When I did mine the winter project extended into the spring - it sure was hard to keep my concentration as I heard others ride by on those nice springs days).

IP Logged
Mospagats
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/28/16 at 13:50:25

This is all great input guys!!

To answer justin_o_guy2 though, as Dave pointed out if I find a wheel with disc then that would probably be the reason to use disc but I do also 1) love disc brakes and the way they look 2) am always up for any mechanical challenge so it would give me pride to say that I converted the hard way, but again it's the hard way and 3) because of my experience with cars and brakes I've always had an easier time with changing disk pads over shoes.

It seems that unless the disk is on the wheel then it would be a hard time converting it so I may just find one that I like.

Overall in the very long run, it doesn't matter, so I guess it becomes more aesthetic than anything.

IP Logged
Mospagats
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/28/16 at 13:52:49

Thanks Dave, no matter what I plan on riding as is until the off-season for that very reason. It is my first bike and project but I've been riding for a couple years via my friends bikes and whatnot. I definitely don't want to watch others enjoy their time while my bike is inoperable.

Dave wrote on 07/28/16 at 13:47:06:
Is this your first bike....and your only one?

How long have you been riding?

You should be riding your bike and planning/scheming/gathering stuff before you tear the bike apart.  Nothing worse than tearing a bike apart for a long project - only to find out that it takes all riding season to get the project done.  The transformation can occur over the winter, and you won't watch others ride by as yours is sitting in the garage.  (When I did mine the winter project extended into the spring - it sure was hard to keep my concentration as I heard others ride by on those nice springs days).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/28/16 at 18:17:27

You will most likely wear out the front disc pads a time or two.....you will never wear out the rear shoes, as they seem to last forever.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 07/28/16 at 18:46:58

And aside from pulling the wheel ,a three year old could change rear shoes on this bike.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #14 - 07/30/16 at 03:55:02

Here is the seat/tank combo I am using.
Got them on Ebay.
Nothing 'Just bolts on!"
Wink

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:35:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Future Cafe help!!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.