Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Adjuster check (Read 7271 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

It's not a backfire,
It's a belch of
POWER!

L.A. California
Re: Cam Chain Adjuster check
Reply #15 - 05/03/10 at 21:02:38

18k km = 11k miles

You're about have way to the point I modified my adjuster to be the 1st verslavy.  I've tried to be very balanced in my response in how to fix this issue.  I've noted the several ways to fix it and my own is posted in the marketplace for those w/o the means to fix it themselves.  What you've stated is true, replace the chain if it's stretched and replace the adjuster if it is ovaled (when the plunger is fully extended, it can wobble back and forth ovaling the housing).  But as many of us have found, the chain is not stretched beyond service limit when the plunger is fully extended.  From that is born the slavy, the extended plunger to retract the plunger and get the full life from the chain.  My contribution is to lock the plunger to the housing so that it won't disengage leaving the chain slack to cause havoc.  This is serious stuff and even though I've sold many verslavy, there's no guaranty something won't happen.  With 20k miles on the chain in an unknown condition, how long will it last?  Mine went 46k and it's still ticking.  Although it nearing the end of it's second life and I plan on changing it soon.  I fondled that chain when I changed it over till I was sure there were no stiff links indicating a flaw.  I know many do not check the chain in this manner.  A stiff link may fail sometime in the future.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

It's not a backfire,
It's a belch of
POWER!

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 08/23/11 at 12:02:55

jhnzeigler wrote on 08/23/11 at 11:32:23:
So when checking all this, can the cam tensioner be reused or if over 18mm do you need to buy a new one? can the plunger be reseccured in the body?

If caught in time, the housing will not be damaged and can be reused by putting in a new chain and guides.  When the plunger extends beyond 18mm it is no longer supported enough by the housing and will wobble ovalling out the hole in the housing.

A stock plunger is not secured to the housing and will come out if the plunger extends far enough.

IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #17 - 02/26/12 at 03:51:54

texsam wrote on 01/24/10 at 22:03:07:
i got bout 17k on mine and have yet to check the cam chain or tensioner, it still sounds quiet but i know thats alotta miles anyways how do you men "21 pins center to center" can someone please clarify how to perform that measurment?? thanx

newbie here nerver have done it but common sence  tells me to streach the chain and measure center to center from one pin to the 20 1ST pin. It should measure no more than 128.9 mm as stated in the post below by verslagen1

So, stretch out the chain like shown, and it would be good to stretch it a bit.  One end on a nail, the other with a bungee cord, weight, whatever.  count off 21 pins, measure from center to center, but left edge of the pin to left edge is the same.
127mm or 5" is brand new.
service limit is 128.9mm or 5.075"

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

It's not a backfire,
It's a belch of
POWER!

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 03/03/12 at 12:14:55

verslagen1 wrote on 06/25/08 at 20:42:34:
Some adjusters have fallen out at 7k miles.  So 5k seems like a winner.  Take a measurement and make a guess when you want to look at it again.  One fellow here went from 17mm to 23 in 60 miles.  So don't take this measurement for granted, keep your ears peeled.

One thing I would definitely recommend to check out the condition of a new to you bike is to do this inspection asap.  It will tell you how the bike was kept.  If the bike is ran with out oil, this chain and the guides are going to suffer.  And there's a possibility that the owner is selling cause of this as this maintenance is probably in the neighborhood of $750.

When the chain stretches, the plunger extends.  Put a new chain in and the old plunger is pulled back in.  New guides help too.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #19 - 12/10/13 at 20:38:07

When I was re-installing the cam tensioner I didn't have enough hands to compress the cylinder and bolt it up.  I couldn't find the zip-tie bondage set up I saw somewhere on the forum  Roll Eyes and I only had some small zip ties.  I pushed the little spring/lever catch and compressed the spring/cylinder then just stuck the pointed end of the zip tie into the space between the notched cylinder and the little catch mechanism, probably less than a quarter inch into the gap. It held long enough for me to get the tensioner bolted up and when I tugged on the zip tie it came right out.  

cam_chain_adjuster_zip.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

It's not a backfire,
It's a belch of
POWER!

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 12/10/13 at 22:04:15

1st page, 4th picture down slick.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #21 - 12/11/13 at 07:40:21

Yep, I saw that one but my small zip tie wasn't thick enough to hold the little lever in place once I got the spring compressed way down. I remembered seeing one where someone used like 3-4 zip ties and had it all laced up but I couldn't find it. Anyways, a third way to skin a cat.   Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/23/14 at 14:56:04

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Cam Chain Adjuster check

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.