Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Adjuster check (Read 10863 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cam Chain Adjuster check
Reply #15 - 05/03/10 at 21:02:38

18k km = 11k miles

You're about have way to the point I modified my adjuster to be the 1st verslavy.  I've tried to be very balanced in my response in how to fix this issue.  I've noted the several ways to fix it and my own is posted in the marketplace for those w/o the means to fix it themselves.  What you've stated is true, replace the chain if it's stretched and replace the adjuster if it is ovaled (when the plunger is fully extended, it can wobble back and forth ovaling the housing).  But as many of us have found, the chain is not stretched beyond service limit when the plunger is fully extended.  From that is born the slavy, the extended plunger to retract the plunger and get the full life from the chain.  My contribution is to lock the plunger to the housing so that it won't disengage leaving the chain slack to cause havoc.  This is serious stuff and even though I've sold many verslavy, there's no guaranty something won't happen.  With 20k miles on the chain in an unknown condition, how long will it last?  Mine went 46k and it's still ticking.  Although it nearing the end of it's second life and I plan on changing it soon.  I fondled that chain when I changed it over till I was sure there were no stiff links indicating a flaw.  I know many do not check the chain in this manner.  A stiff link may fail sometime in the future.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 08/23/11 at 12:02:55

jhnzeigler wrote on 08/23/11 at 11:32:23:
So when checking all this, can the cam tensioner be reused or if over 18mm do you need to buy a new one? can the plunger be reseccured in the body?

If caught in time, the housing will not be damaged and can be reused by putting in a new chain and guides.  When the plunger extends beyond 18mm it is no longer supported enough by the housing and will wobble ovalling out the hole in the housing.

A stock plunger is not secured to the housing and will come out if the plunger extends far enough.

WWW   IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #17 - 02/26/12 at 03:51:54

texsam wrote on 01/24/10 at 22:03:07:
i got bout 17k on mine and have yet to check the cam chain or tensioner, it still sounds quiet but i know thats alotta miles anyways how do you men "21 pins center to center" can someone please clarify how to perform that measurment?? thanx

newbie here nerver have done it but common sence  tells me to streach the chain and measure center to center from one pin to the 20 1ST pin. It should measure no more than 128.9 mm as stated in the post below by verslagen1

So, stretch out the chain like shown, and it would be good to stretch it a bit.  One end on a nail, the other with a bungee cord, weight, whatever.  count off 21 pins, measure from center to center, but left edge of the pin to left edge is the same.
127mm or 5" is brand new.
service limit is 128.9mm or 5.075"

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 03/03/12 at 12:14:55

verslagen1 wrote on 06/25/08 at 20:42:34:
Some adjusters have fallen out at 7k miles.  So 5k seems like a winner.  Take a measurement and make a guess when you want to look at it again.  One fellow here went from 17mm to 23 in 60 miles.  So don't take this measurement for granted, keep your ears peeled.

One thing I would definitely recommend to check out the condition of a new to you bike is to do this inspection asap.  It will tell you how the bike was kept.  If the bike is ran with out oil, this chain and the guides are going to suffer.  And there's a possibility that the owner is selling cause of this as this maintenance is probably in the neighborhood of $750.

When the chain stretches, the plunger extends.  Put a new chain in and the old plunger is pulled back in.  New guides help too.

WWW   IP Logged
Waterdude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/03/15 at 17:43:16

I recently pulled the clutch cover and found just what I suspected. My chain tensioner was protruding 20.26mm. When I put a caliper to 6 links I came up with 38.18mm and doing the math I discovered that my chain was stretched beyond the wear limit (That's using the 21 link at 128.9mm). I was bummed because I thought my chain and guides would need to be replaced with only 14,000 miles. Then I got my Clymers from e-bay and found out it is actually 20 links so my chain is right where it needs to be. It's off to get my verslavy mod and put it back together for probably another 10,000 miles. Can't wait to get riding as the KY weather is great. Your Suzuki Brother, Waterdude

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 05/20/15 at 11:47:25

Quote:
When I put a caliper to 6 links I came up with 38.18mm and doing the math I discovered that my chain was stretched beyond the wear limit (That's using the 21 link at 128.9mm)

6 links = 38.18

38.18 x 20/6 = 127.27

127.27-125=2.27 vs. 3.9 max

14,000 x 3.9/2.27=24,000

Yes, I would guess you have 10,000 more miles, but the second half will wear faster unless you've changed your habits of short rides.

WWW   IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 11/01/18 at 22:48:55

Man, what a bummer!!! Did the verslagen head plug and verslavy install, and adjusted my valves. I was on my way to wrapping things up, filled her up with oil and started moving to other minor service items, when low and behold I noticed a good oil leak coming out of the clutch cover! I have all the bolts in the proper places, washers and all. I installed a brand new gasket from the dealer, which seemed lighter and a bit thinner. I torqued the bolts first at 95in lbs when I wrapped up the job originally. After I noticed the leak, I went up to 100, still leaked, then moved to 105, still leaking. I drained the oil out and will have to take her apart again. All the bolts turn perfectly and grab perfectly. I am thinking of using the original gasket, which I luckily saved in a plastic bag. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate the suggestions. Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 11/02/18 at 08:40:26

I'd look to where it was leaking exactly.

WWW   IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 11/02/18 at 10:38:33

Hi Verslagen, it is leaking underneath the case . Most around the inspection window and middle bolt. I read some threads about putting gasket sealer. I am tempted to do the same with my remaining suzuki bond. Do you think I should use new or old gasket?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 11/02/18 at 12:08:36

HighME32 wrote on 11/02/18 at 10:38:33:
Hi Verslagen, it is leaking underneath the case . Most around the inspection window and middle bolt. I read some threads about putting gasket sealer. I am tempted to do the same with my remaining suzuki bond. Do you think I should use new or old gasket?

I don't use gasket sealer, so I can't comment on that.
I do wipe the gasket with oil on 1 side before installing, as I like to be able to remove the cover and still re-use the gasket.
And I don't have a problem with leakage.
If you're leaking on the rear side, it maybe the pass thru for the neutral wire.

WWW   IP Logged
crazymactech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 11/02/18 at 17:45:18

Verslagen, when you talk about your mod and refer to hole 1 and hole 2, which is which?  Is "1" on the left or is "1" on the right?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 11/02/18 at 18:45:31

crazymactech wrote on 11/02/18 at 17:45:18:
Verslagen, when you talk about your mod and refer to hole 1 and hole 2, which is which?  Is "1" on the left or is "1" on the right?

Hole 1 is the original hole.

WWW   IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 11/04/18 at 18:49:01

I figured out the clutch cover leak. The new gasket folded a bit a the bottom and was not sitting properly. I replaced it with the original gasket, which was in great shape, and no more leaks.

IP Logged
Spamcan
YaBB Newbies

Burdened with a
restless mind !

Reply #28 - 03/28/19 at 12:42:02

2006 LS650. 15k miles. Yesterday I replaced my original cam chain tensioner assy with Versy's modded one. (I bought the bike used last October and the forum's cam chain tensioner discussions made me real nervous!) Used hole #2. Had to replace the gasket. First photo is the original. No sign of previous meddling. Second photo is versy's. That little circlip holding in the tensioner is quite small. I had to find a set of pliers to get between the hooks. Most I looked at were too large or too far apart. Luckily I found an American-made set by "Lang Tools" at O'reilly. $20 but well worth the price. Didn't use any sealer on the new gasket. Seems OK.

Old_Tensioner.jpg

USAF Ret E7. Instrumentation and Flight Controls. QC Activity Team Chief. Field Training Instructor, Type IIA PMEL. C-47, C-54, C-121, C-130, T-33, T-37, T-38, F-5, A-37, F-101, F-105, F-16. Loved it!
  IP Logged
Spamcan
YaBB Newbies

Burdened with a
restless mind !

Reply #29 - 03/28/19 at 12:45:34

Couldn't get it to post the second photo.... here it is... the new tensioner installed.

New_Tensioner.jpg

USAF Ret E7. Instrumentation and Flight Controls. QC Activity Team Chief. Field Training Instructor, Type IIA PMEL. C-47, C-54, C-121, C-130, T-33, T-37, T-38, F-5, A-37, F-101, F-105, F-16. Loved it!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 04:43:11

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Cam Chain Adjuster check

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.