Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Would you be interested in a section for trikes & sidecars?

Make it a stand alone section.  
  0 (0%)
Add it to the modification area  
  1 (100%)

Total votes: 1
« Created by: easymoney on: 02/07/24 at 14:54:42 »

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 ... 176
Send Topic Print
Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS) (Read 41189 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTION
Reply #2205 - 06/10/17 at 05:33:01

Your Dad sounds like a real piece of work.
Welcome to the Community!

I wouldn't be riding that bike at 28k miles with the sounds you're hearing from the engine. Your CCT could be about to detonate.  Sounds like that's the first order of business.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
SavageJack
YaBB Newbies

Fresno, CA.

Fresno, CA
Reply #2206 - 06/10/17 at 07:08:25

"Your Dad sounds like a real piece of work."

-He really was!

"Your CCT could be about to detonate"

I fully expected to replace the petcock and cam chain tensioner on any S40/Savage I bought. This bike popped up on Craigslist for half price because these problems began to occur, noisy crankcase and sputtering at 60. I checked it out and feel confident that these are the only major issues with the bike. If it has an earth shattering kaboom, then I'll buy another. It's a gamble, but one I'm comfortable making.

1996 Savage. My first bike. I'm learning as I go, which is code for "I'm an idiot". 28K miles. Raptor, Supertrapp, Tweety Bird yellow.
  IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #2207 - 06/27/17 at 15:31:19

New member from Calgary, Alberta, Canada! New rider, started from Vino 125cc scooter two years ago, passed my bike exam and decided to get something bigger. I've been lurking on the forum since I got my bone stock 2011 Savage s40 last fall (16500km). Picked up lot's of tips and tricks form this forum so thought proper intro is in order Grin

Did a few DIYs on the bike already: rear blinkers relocation and LED mod, all fluids were changed, upgraded to HD Softail slip-on muffler, in-line fuel filter, highway bar removal. Need to change front brake pads and tune up carb using LANCER instructions, hopefully to get rid of pop/crackles in between the gear changes  Cheesy

20170327_001834941_iOS_1.jpg

2011 Savage s40, Raptor petcock, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in filter, Jetted carb: 152(main)/52(pilot), Versy cam chain tensioner, reversed stock risers, rear turn signal relocate and LEDs.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2208 - 06/28/17 at 14:55:48

Transp0rt3r wrote on 06/27/17 at 15:31:19:
... in-line fuel filter.

Welcome!

Be cautious of the inline fuel filter. You may be aware that in some cases it can cause a vapor lock and cause poor running because of the lack of fuel getting through.  If you know this, then you've got it under control.  Our bikes have a screen in the petcock so an inline filter isn't necessary, but if you have junk in your tank or fuel up there is 'dirty' then good for you. Many members here have had no issues at all running inline filters, others will swear it is just a bad idea.  As long as you are aware you can be your own judge.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #2209 - 06/29/17 at 00:15:56

I'd always fit an in-line filter after my Savage broke down many years ago -when a speck of dirt was found to be blocking the main jet. I've since fitted filters to all my bikes as a precaution

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2210 - 06/29/17 at 01:52:35

marekbuk wrote on 06/29/17 at 00:15:56:
I'd always fit an in-line filter after my Savage broke down many years ago -when a speck of dirt was found to be blocking the main jet. I've since fitted filters to all my bikes as a precaution

Some folks have good luck with inline filters - for others they can cause running problems and create symptoms that are elusive to track down.  The problem is that most of the plastic filters have a very thick housing, and the size of the hole at the inlet/outlet of the filter is much smaller than the rubber tubing or petcock opening size.  Air bubbles can get trapped in these small openings and prevent the flow of fuel.

« Last Edit: 06/29/17 at 03:09:27 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #2211 - 06/29/17 at 01:55:40

Yes I agree and of course 'quality counts' so I'd always fit a good make of filter and match the in/out bores

IP Logged
40Cal.Ace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2212 - 07/14/17 at 05:32:46

Hello everyone. My name is Travis, I live in central KY, and I just picked up a 96 Savage. It is not running. After some reading on here, I'm guessing that it had the timing chain tensioner fail and has probably done significant damage since the previous owner was driving it when it happened. This is going to be this year's winter project. There seems to be a lot of good info and people here, so I look forward to being a part of this forum. I am/was a diesel mechanic by trade, but I have moved up at work and don't turn wrenches daily anymore. I grew up in a garage owned by my grandfather, then by my uncle. So I have really been a mechanic in some shape my entire life. I do keep a project(s) around to work on, and I do work on the side for friends and family still. Also I'm married with 2 young daughters, so I stay pretty busy. We have a 4 seat rzr that we get out on every chance we get. I'll stop rambling now!  Grin

IMG_6017.PNG
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2213 - 07/14/17 at 05:56:05

Welcome to the forum, 40Cal.Ace!

There's a ton of good info here, and folks with many years/miles of experience. To start, I'd suggest going to the Home page and look through the topics listed on the right side of the page. Good luck with your restoration project!

IP Logged
maniacmedia
YaBB Newbies

My Boulevard S40
makes me a savage!

Salt Lake City
Reply #2214 - 07/19/17 at 14:00:17

It's been a minute, but I'm back on board. Picked up a pristine S40 a couple of weeks ago. A 2007 with just over 6,800 miles on it. This thing has been babied. I swear the guy I bought from was on the verge of tears when I rode away.

Picked up a pair of Viking Odin Brown Large Saddlebags which go great on the Royal Pearl Blue paint. Gotta move the tail lights to the license plate frame before mounting them though.

I'm looking to add a solo seat that'll work with the brown saddlebags. (Any suggestions are welcome.) And throwing on a louder horn this weekend. Likely do an oil change as well. Just for peace of mind.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Royal Pearl Blue
Viking Bags Large Tan Cruiser Saddlebags
WWW   IP Logged
Friedl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2215 - 07/26/17 at 10:10:04

Hello Savage riders. New member here with a 2008 S40. I'm also a new rider with a new endorsement. Anyway, hello from Ohio.

IP Logged
Jmpell
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vancouver, Canada
Reply #2216 - 07/27/17 at 22:02:39

Hey guys! New here from Vancouver Canada. Recently bought a 1986 savage with 39k KM on it. Been reading up on a lot of threads here and am now tackling the squeaky rear brake, tensioner and possibly jetting (backfires when turning the bike off). Lots to learn!

I'd upload a photo but apparently the photo from my phone is too large? Dang.

IP Logged
taff
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

cardiff,south wales
Reply #2217 - 08/21/17 at 11:58:14

hi all,being a new member i thought it would be polite to introduce myself before anything else.i live in south wales,uk.i have a few bikes,a couple that are survivors from the early 70's,most of which i have owned for a number of years.i have a 1987 ls650 savage that has been in my care for the last 6yrs or so,its actually owned by a pensioner friend of mine & i have done my best to keep it up & running for him.the bike has sentimental value to him so its his bike for life.info on these bikes has always been a little scarce & parts can be a mission to find.this forum could be a life saver for the savage & i hope that i may be able to offer any help/advice i can in return.

IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #2218 - 08/21/17 at 12:10:26

Hi Taff

I'm also a U.K. Member with a 2005 S40 and a 1987 LS650

I have amassed a lot of spares  over the years so let me know if you need anything

Mark

IP Logged
taff
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

cardiff,south wales
Reply #2219 - 08/21/17 at 13:00:18

hello mark,your reply is a sight for sore eyes,literally.i have spent countless hours online seeking advice & looking for used parts.im up to my eyes with the electrics on it at the moment.my friend recently took the bike to a local-ish repair shop ( he mistakenly thought that i was too busy to look at the bike for him so didnt tell me til after the event ),long story short,the bike had to be collected in a van as they had killed it.so,a process of elimination now but it most likely needs an ignitor.i also noticed a crack in the ign coil but i probably got a coil kicking around my workshop.i should know more tomorrow so no doubt you will be hearing from me.even if you dont have what i need,your reply has encouraged me in the knowledge that there are people out there prepared to offer help.many thanks,leighton.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 148 149 150 ... 176
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 19:07:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.