Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Would you be interested in a section for trikes & sidecars?

Make it a stand alone section.  
  0 (0%)
Add it to the modification area  
  1 (100%)

Total votes: 1
« Created by: easymoney on: 02/07/24 at 14:54:42 »

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 ... 176
Send Topic Print
Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS) (Read 41217 times)
camper2099
YaBB Newbies

Connecticut
Re: Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTION
Reply #2190 - 04/23/17 at 18:25:16

Hi there fellow savage/ls650/s40 owners.
I'm a 33 year old guy living in CT who's new to riding. I purchased my 2006 3 weeks ago and brought it home on a trailer. Before purchasing the bike, I had never even sat on a motorcycle!
I did my knowledge test and got my permit the next day. I rode the bike in a parking lot for a couple day to get used to it. I completed the MSF course 2 weeks ago and officially have my MC endorsement Cheesy
My bike has 15.5K miles on it. The adjuster is at 18mm.
I need to email/pm Verslagen to send out my adjuster for his mod, but apparently I need at least 10 posts on this forum in order to do that.

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #2191 - 05/10/17 at 12:01:54

Hello Forum,

My story is similar to the last post on this thread. I had never sat on a motorcycle prior to me purchasing my 03' Savage 5 years ago. Since then I have clocked about 45K miles on it. I have toured my home state of Oregon extensively, and I rode around Arizona for two months (with most of that time spent camping off the back of my motorcycle, sleeping in National Parks or public land). I found a way to load my Savage up with a one-man tent and sleeping pad, and since that time, I have never looked back. Last year I rode across the United States, from Portland to Baltimore. Oh, and I don't own a car - I'm a 4-season rider.

So now I'm moving onto the next leg of my motorcycle journey: FIXING MY BIKE! I have taken my bike to mechanic's in the past, but I have dreamt about fixing my own bike since I bought it. And now, after so many years, I finally live in a place where I can setup my own little workspace (before, I only rented rooms in houses, so there was no space to keep tools, parts, fluids, etc.)

Well thanks for reading my spiel. I have lots of interesting stories in that 45K miles - hopefully I can trade some with some new friends from this website soon.

I also have a dream of one day starting an organization, or even just a website, cataloging what I have learned about motorcycle traveling on the cheap. The Savage is a great bike for people who don't make much money (like me), and I have found ways to travel on a budget and see some great parts of the USA, and I want to pass that along to other people... so they don't have to be slaves to high bills associated with $30K Harley's or $120/night hotel rooms... and some people can never even get to the level of being able to afford that lifestyle (I know I can't)... so I'm committed to the idea of helping others to get away from a dreary 5-day work week that they would rather not be doing, and get out there and ride! Freedom!!!

Cheers,
Andy

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
rich8363

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boynton Beach FL
Reply #2192 - 05/10/17 at 12:44:45

Cool picture Andy

WWW   IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #2193 - 05/11/17 at 12:15:02

Thanks, Rich. I did it by myself using a Canon 50D with tripod and a timer set to take shots every 30 seconds, and then I rode around the curve as slow as I could safely go.

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
tergi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rovigo Italy
Reply #2194 - 05/13/17 at 06:00:24

New member from Italy
First of all sorry for my English
I'm Andrea, I live in Italy, near Venice and last winter i start my Savage project.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2195 - 05/13/17 at 06:23:40

Camper, Andy, Rich & Tregi...welcome ya'll !
Welcome to the friendly home for wayward Savage/S40 owners !
We are a wayward bunch for sure.
So join in the fun, the water is fine.

IP Logged
iamsofaking
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2196 - 05/18/17 at 09:40:21

New member from Reno, NV.
I've been riding since always, mostly big twins, but after putting a lot of miles on a KLR, I thought I might like another big single.  Just bought this guy for $1k down the street.  <5k miles.  
Looking forward to lots of riding and wrenching on this bad boy.  So far I have only reversed the risers to move the bar away a bit.  At 6'3', I'm a bit longer than what the designers of this bike had in mind.

51675497922__FB8A5BA3-B560-4C68-BAF5-67CA47604567_JPG.jpeg
  IP Logged
bradyGOAT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2197 - 05/19/17 at 06:35:40

Hey everyone.

As you may be able to tell from my username I'm from Boston. I bought an 05 the other day and been lurking these forums for a week in advance. You guys really know your stuff. Hopefully I can contribute!

Go Celtics!!!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2198 - 05/21/17 at 04:47:43

Andy RN wrote on 05/11/17 at 12:15:02:
I rode around the curve as slow as I could safely go.

Oooooh.....that sounds horrible! Wink

I prefer to ride around the curve as fast as I can safely go! Roll Eyes

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2199 - 05/21/17 at 06:17:18

Cool, several new members recently.  And another international member.  Welcome all!

Be sure to update your signature with your model year and any pertinent info like whether you have changed to the Raptor already.  Helps the rest of the forum troubleshoot any future issues.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
BCrides
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2200 - 05/29/17 at 18:19:57

Hey everybody

New member here from BC, Canada. I've been a member on here for a few months short of a year now so I figured introductions might be in order.

My name is Cody and I picked up an '86 Savage last fall to learn to ride on this summer. It already has plenty of DIY fixes and aftermarket parts so I'm still working through what has been done already and what needs fixing.

She runs and drives for the most part, just not all that reliable at the moment. New Cam chain tensioner to get her roadworthy. The rest can be done as I go along. Wink

IP Logged
fortysixand2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2201 - 05/31/17 at 00:10:10

Hello, new member here from Sweden.

Just picked up a bone stock, never touched 1991 LS650 for cheap.
Plan to make an everyday, practical and reliable little bobber for just commuting to work and hopping around town on. It has to look alright too so a new pipe, pod filter and bars are going on, It needs a bit of a fender chop and taking some junk off. Needs relocation of the license plate and tail light and some better looking indicators. I have taken the carb out for a rejet. I hear a fork brace is a good thing and Im lowering the front a little.

Now the part that worries me a little.
Have been reading a lot of posts on here already and Im getting the impression my motor should have blown up already since its got 32000kms on it and Im pretty sure nobody has touched either the cam chain tensioner, that pre-96 (4 speed) starter gear Im reading about or that head plug.  Shocked

Are the risks a little exaggerated or what?
Have the previous (only 2!) owners been really lucky the engine has not blown up?

I was planning on riding it this summer without having to do anything to the engine but that sounds kind of risky after reading here...

I already own three other Suzukis.
*A big bore Bandit1200 with pipe, headwork. flatslides, some suspension work and all the usual mods, makes 155-160 hp at the wheel.
*A naked cafe/fighter hybrid TL1000R also with loads of mods, still stock engine internals though.
*A 1981 GSX750E that is still waiting for attention, will be a cafe build eventually.

stable.JPG
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2202 - 05/31/17 at 00:53:37

If you are used to motorcycle maintenance there are threads here about checking the tensioner. I hope you enjoy your bike.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2203 - 05/31/17 at 07:09:15

fortysixand2 wrote on 05/31/17 at 00:10:10:
Now the part that worries me a little.
Have been reading a lot of posts on here already and Im getting the impression my motor should have blown up already since its got 32000kms on it and Im pretty sure nobody has touched either the cam chain tensioner, that pre-96 (4 speed) starter gear Im reading about or that head plug.  Shocked

32000kms is only 20000miles, so not to bad, but time for a check.  Which is probably why you got it... PO didn't want to get into it.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageJack
YaBB Newbies

Fresno, CA.

Fresno, CA
Reply #2204 - 06/09/17 at 15:32:30

Hello everyone.

My father always told me that I don't know sh-, and probably never will. So now that we've established that I'm no braniac, here's my situation.
I just got into motorcycles and bought the best bike ever, a beat up 1996 Savage with a myriad of issues, in Tweety Bird yellow. I figured I was due for my midlife crisis or whatever and I couldn't wait to blow $800 on what's sure to be a headache.

Anyways, riding is fun and fixing stuff is fun, so that's why I'm here. I've been lurking for a bit and I must say that I like it here, so I signed up to stick around and have you tease me. I have some really stupid ideas about what I want to mod on this bike and I can't wait for your groans and eye-rolls when you see had bad it's going to turn out.

Known issues with mine as of right now;
Petcock, cam tensioner, lumpy seat, leaky forks, tappy-flappy sound from the top end, busted rear indicator, oxidization and rust, yellow paint, and a stubborn nut connecting the bars to the pegs.

1996 Savage. My first bike. I'm learning as I go, which is code for "I'm an idiot". 28K miles. Raptor, Supertrapp, Tweety Bird yellow.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 ... 176
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 20:26:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Introduce Yourself (NOT THE PLACE FOR QUESTIONS)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.