Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
cam chain tensioner mod works (Read 1017 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: cam chain tensioner mod works
Reply #15 - 04/21/07 at 03:14:27

When I looked at the chain, the old one, measured it out & calculated the percentage of total allowable stretch I was at, I calculated the chain life to be 20 to 21,000 miles.I was just shy of 15,000 miles when I pulled it & was at 5.1( if I remember,maybe 5.2 inches If need be I can measure again)  That may be a bit different riding styles, I ride like my hair is on fire more often than not. If a fellow rode off easy from the stops & didnt wind it out before changing gears & didnt spend much time at 65 & up, then I would expect to get 30 or so out of it. maybe more. Peg draggin, hot rodding types get less. That'd be me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 04/21/07 at 08:00:29

I do get concerned with the numbers that are some time quoted for the chain stretch.

The SSM says the limit is 128.9mm (5.07") from center to center.  

Now every machinist knows how to measure c2c without guessing where the center of the pin (or hole) maybe.  And it's easy for them as they usually (at least now of days) have a digital caliper.  With these wonderful measuring sticks to measure c2c place the jaws over one pin and reset it to zero.  Then every measurement made will subtract one diameter.  So if you measure from the outside of one pin to the outside of another, you automatically get the c2c measurement.

For those of you that don't have a digital, add the diameter of one pin to the requirement.

128.9mm(5.07") + 2.95mm(.116") = 131.85mm(5.191")

BTW no need to count the number of pins, just start with 5" and go to the next longer pin.  If that doesn't work then I sure do want to see your chain  Shocked  as it's likely to be the most stretched chain ever seen.

And I think it's been said that a new chain is 5" long, so if you measure less than that, try again.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 04/21/07 at 09:14:01

Now when the chain is stretched some on the drive side it acts to retard the cam lobe motion and retard the opening and shutting of the valves somewhat, right?

So, running your cam chain to maximum chain stretch/mileage life would be "safe" to do but it would cost you a bit of power and efficency out at the tag end of the "stretch" period, right?

Anybody formed a guess at the degrees of retardation you might get at maximum chain stretch?

Oldfeller

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 04/21/07 at 10:16:18

With .07" chain stretch you'll get almost 7° cam timing retard.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 04/29/07 at 22:17:46

Got my new mod'ed tensioner assembly in the bike.

This is using the worn stock guides and chain.
Plunger projection is 5.6 mm
The new hole is 5/8" from the original one.
The pin and slot travel limiter has 1/2" of travel.
Available space between up and down chain is about 1/2"

The mod is not simple, but most reliable IMO.
The only part I'm worried about is the stop pin.

When the plunger is again projected out 19mm, the plunger will stop.  Hopefully just before the chain begins to rub on itself.  So slightly less travel or less space between the holes in the tab would be beneficial.

« Last Edit: 12/04/10 at 16:10:12 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #20 - 04/30/07 at 09:35:36

Is that the tensioner I sent you? You made a groove in it.

Looks nice and simple your mod. Congrats, hope you sell plenty of them.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 04/30/07 at 11:45:23

Thanks Kro,

Yes, That one is from you.  If that is typical of the parts we are throwing away, I'll have a lot of parts to rework.

I did catch mine before any real damage occured, only slight deformation of the end.  Will be very easy to clean up.  And steveh sent me a set that I would have no problem using either.

After putting in the travel limiting slot and pin, the plunger will not put a strain the end of the housing.

I didn't plan to mass market these, but I can take a hint.

I will refine the dimensions of the slot to prevent the chain from coming in contact with itself in the next lot of parts.

slavy/verslagen mod...
slagen mod...
slaverslagen mod...
verslagen/slavy mod...
verslavy mod...
verslagavy mod...
oh hell...   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 04/30/07 at 11:55:00

That is one hella nice mod there Verslagen.

Me thinks you should contact Suzuki and sell it to them...

Better get a patent first !!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 04/30/07 at 13:46:19

Being an engineer with patents already... there's no drive to get another.

Besides, my dad once tried to sell his patented idea to the manufacturer.  They declined.  He went into production and sold a few.  It showed up in the product line the next year and he was out of business.  Not that it was a big business.  They had a poor product (at a reasonable price) before and now that they are thieves, I'll never go their way again.  He did sell all his stock and the original equipment.   Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
trooper3
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/30/07 at 17:36:32

I'm new here , but not to bikes, been riding for 35+ years, mostly sport bikes and dirt bikes. I bought a used 87 Savage for my sister to ride for $500 and have been using this site to rebuild it over the last month, scrounging various parts etc. It has been great fun because the Savage is so simple, did all normal maintenance stuff, valves, plug, air/oil filter, brakes etc and the bike is running real well. It has about 8000 miles on the odometer but not sure if that is correct. I've put about 300 miles on it debugging and adjusting the carb, bedding brakes etc and was about to let my sister have it for this weekend when I noticed a random metallic ticking/clicking coming from what appears to be the righthand cylinder/clutch cover.  I've adjusted the cam chain tension on old 4 stroke dirt bikes when they made that "loose"  noise but I never heard anything like this. Doesn't sound to me like a loose cam chain, only seems to happen at lower rpms with little or no load on the motor and is very random and discontinous. Is more prevelant when the bike is hot.  It almost sounds like someone left something in the clutch side cover and it gets picked up every now and then and whipped around. Could this be the infamous cam adjuster flipping back and forth, about to pop out? The guy before me said he did the clutch and had part receipts but who knows? It does look as if the gasket has been off before so maybe he was in there and left a "souvenir". I just ordered a clutch side gasket from RonAyers and plan on pulling it apart but my sister is chomping at the bit to ride it and the weather in Ohio is about to break. I just wondered if anyone could tell me if this could be the cam chain tensioner noise when it is almost ready to fall out. I'm a mechanical engineer myself and like the mod you guys have come up with and will probably go this route (ie. weld another piece on the adjuster and drill a new hole)  if it needs it. I just hate to have to tear it apart right before she gets to finally ride it (she had a Rebel before!) but if that tensioner drops out...well, I guess I would have a lot of good, non-engine Savage parts for sale on the Marketplace. I only have about $650 in the whole bike and it is a blast to ride, maybe even thinking of getting one for myself in my "old age"! Thanks for the help and this board is great... sorry for the long post, just got excited from the last ride, dragging the Savage pegs all over the neighborhood.
Rick C.
1998 VTR1000
1997 KTM300exc
1993 KLX650
1987 LS650F Savage (for the sister, maybe)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 04/30/07 at 19:19:26

If the tensioner came apart, I think you hear a lot more noise then a tinkle.  The gasket for the clutch cover is tall on the bottom and stuff could get caught in there, maybe get washed out from time to time.  But anything floating around in there is trouble waiting to happen.

As far as the gasket goes, you may be able to take it and reuse it.  When I took mine off, it came off clean and I may have been able to reuse it, although I had no intensions of doing so.  Others have made the same comment.

Welcome to the board   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
trooper3
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 05/01/07 at 02:33:20

Yes, I was thinking the same, but wasn't sure if there was a unique sound to an "about to fail" cam tensioner. Like I said the chain sounds ok to me, not loose, but that doesn't mean the adjuster isn't  at  the end of its travel and about to fall out. I ordered the gasket as a precautionary measure since I am probably taking the cover off this weekend. Being a planner I am planning for the worse. The best could be a non-hardened piece of ? that was left in there, hopfully not a broken clutch spring. Had those on dirt bikes. Thanks.
Rick C.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 05/01/07 at 09:10:28

Yes, best thing is to open her up.

The cam chain guides are spring steel with a plastic overmold for friction.  We've seen posts where the plastic sheds.

On mine, the tensioner was almost ready to let go.  I don't recall hearing a tick-tick, but my hair was standing up so I must have heard something.  Once the plunger get to end of travel, it gets c0cked.  Maybe it can flop up and down.  The primary drive gear is very close.  Maybe that's the tick-tick.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 05/05/07 at 15:32:30

New rear guide, plunger projection is now 4.5mm

There was a little wear on the radius part and it was apparent that the chain wasn't riding in the groove.

Back to the wrench I go   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #29 - 05/05/07 at 16:00:54

Yes mine clattered like a loose valve on an old chev 6 cyl. Checked the valves and adjstment was OK so looked futher. Found the spring loaded tensioner about ready to pop apart. Alum housing was worn badly out of round. At the time I thought it might have been because I like to run my more long stroke thumper like. Been keeping the R's up in 4 th and 5th since. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 18:09:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cam chain tensioner mod works

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.