Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
cam chain tensioner mod works (Read 1017 times)
trooper3
Ex Member

Re: cam chain tensioner mod works
Reply #30 - 05/06/07 at 05:11:29

Thanks for the replies, I haven't taken the cover off yet, but probably will next week when we get rain. The weather here (NE Ohio) has been so nice and I wanted to take the opportunity to let my sister "learn" how to ride a bike again, mostly parking lots. So far, so good, no increase in the random ticking but is sure hasn't gone away. After today the bike will probably get mothballed until the clutch cover gasket shows up. I should have ordered a tensioner too since if it is about to fall out there is a good chance that the bore is worn so bad I wouldn't want to use it again. I just couldn't stomache paying the money for the tensioner until I had the cover off. If the tensioner is about to pop out I am planning on doing the mod listed here since I have a MIG/torches and full access to a machine shop. I was also going to get a hardness reading on the tensioner prior to welding or modding it but I don't see a problem with using a MIG on the hole end, it should keep most of the heat away from the cylinder/piston side (which may be hardened for wear). I will keep people posted. The collective info on this site is better than any manula I've ever had!
Rick

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 05/06/07 at 06:23:09

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Yes mine clattered like a loose valve on an old chev 6 cyl. Checked the valves and adjstment was OK so looked futher. Found the spring loaded tensioner about ready to pop apart. Alum housing was worn badly out of round. At the time I thought it might have been because I like to run my more long stroke thumper like. Been keeping the R's up in 4 th and 5th since. Max

Another one...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 05/06/07 at 09:56:26

Remember the posts earlier. people ordered the "tensioner" ecpecting the spring loaded part & got the rear guide, whic touches & does tension the chain. The Tensioner Adjuster is the spring loaded part. IF I remember correctly, make sure you know what you are prdering or risk disappointment.

IP Logged
Peter-the-blacksmith
YaBB Newbies

Choppers for life !

Finland
Reply #33 - 05/13/07 at 08:06:13

Verslagen1, would you mind if I put up your picture of the re-built camtensioner on the Savage Club Finland site ?
www.savageclub.org

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 05/13/07 at 10:47:23

I don't mind at all.  Please credit me though.

After reading both manuals, and this forums threads 10 times, tightening every bolt four times, scraping, and polishing, I finaly got it back together.  And went for my first ride this morning.  My 1st major wrenching in 20 someodd years.  And she purrs again! dam I'm happy.  So happy I nearly plowed into the back of a van with no brake lights.  Now that I'm sober again, I can get back to business.

After I put a 1000 miles on her, I'll open her up and check the state of the tensioner.

If anyone would like one of these made up for them, I will open a store in the marketplace.  I have access to certified welders and a mill.  The option will be new or rebuilt parts.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
trooper3
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 05/13/07 at 14:14:25

Well I opened my sister's bike clutch cover to diagnose the intermittent ticking (she parking lot crashed and won't be riding for awhile). Low and behold, I am (or she is) a member of the imfamous cam chain tensioner club. The ratchet was out of the last serration, c0cked sideways and ready to let loose soon. I tried pushing on the tensioner to get it to come out completely, it moved about .10" but still wouldn't let loose, so I'm not sure how many miles were left on her.

So, versalgen1, how much for the mod, either if I send you my parts or if you purchase new ones? How long to get the parts? I am toying with the idea of doing it myself but I don't have a ton of time because of my son's graduation.
Please let me know what you charge and expected turnaround time (if I send you mine, the bore is worn some). I am taking the parts in to work to get a hardess measurement on the tensioner rod and also to get the spring rate of the spring. I am curious as to how much it is and how much it drops as the tensioner adjusts out. If I get time I will try to post pictures. I wish I would have recorded audio of the intermittent sound that it made because it wasn't there 500 miles or so ago. Thanks.
Rick C.

IP Logged
trooper3
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 05/13/07 at 15:29:00

This is what was making that intermittent ticking sound, like there was a little piece of metal getting flipped around inside the clutch cover (if I was lucky). The tensioner rod was close to coming out of the body on my sister's 1987 (supposedly has around 8000 miles, doubt that!)

Whole Cover

Close up of tensioner, ratchet is off of last serration in rod, out of travel

Chain is within about 10mm of touching itself

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 05/13/07 at 19:34:55

I put mine (erstaz hers) back together with the plunger mod welded on the end...5/8" center to center. The timing chain itself was on the low side of max stretch. I also replaced the rear guide because it was quite worn.

I tried putting a 'bow' in the rear guide, but it sprang back to the original shape, and I was afraid if I tried bending any more that it would kink.

With the new ADJUSTER, and modified plunger, it sticks out of the housing 6MM.

The engine now idles at such a low RPM, that I can darn near count every firing stroke of the piston, but I have turned it up to about 600, but it will not die.

The valvetrain is quiet as a church mouse, and the bike has more power than I thought it would. I even let the previous owner ride it today, because I did not have a clue on how the bike was supposed to run...the previous owner want's the bike back, and want's me to work on the 3 other bikes that they own.

Wife sez NO on both counts....LOL

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 05/13/07 at 19:38:53

...and BTW, Mr trooper, from the looks of your pics, if you get the extension welded on what you have now, all you would need is a clutch cover gasket.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 05/13/07 at 20:16:34

I don't beleave you should completely ignore the SSM and just weld the tab on.  Even though my own measurements show my chain only had .01" stretch, others have claimed the max .07".  

At 8k miles you are probably ok, just be forewarned.  

Other items to consider:
Any leaks?  good time to get at them is now.
Condition of tensioner guide?  with the adjuster off,
  look at the wear of the plastic.  any cracks?  If looks
  like any part will come off, it's time to replace.

good luck   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #40 - 05/14/07 at 00:44:46

K1200LTryder wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:

The engine now idles at such a low RPM, that I can darn near count every firing stroke of the piston, but I have turned it up to about 600, but it will not die.

Better raise the idle to Suzuki specs. 1100-1200 RPM.
Gives the head the oil it's needed.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
trooper3
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 05/14/07 at 03:24:44

Thanks for all the advice, being an engineer I am going to investigate this further. I have noticed no cracks in the guides but I have to look again when I have more time.  So far I have no oil leaks from the dreaded plug so I am good to go there. I've been through most everything on the bike so far and the 8,000 miles seems reasonable, original brake pads and shoes (now replaced),  stock carburetor (now rebuilt with 2/3 space and bigger pilot jet) .... the only thing that seems out of wack mileage-wise is this cam chain tensioner thing. It amazes me that if the mileage is correct that this design can wear that fast. Something doesn't make sense, chains do not stretch( ie yield, if they were loaded that high we'd all be in trouble), they wear as do all the other components of the drive; gears, bearings etc. I wonder how thermal expansion between the crank and cam change the centerline distance the chain operates at and if things look a lot worse cold than hot (although my ticking noise was intermittent more often when hot). Like I said, I have to think about this more, now I've got to get to work. Thanks again for everybodies help.
Rick C.

IP Logged
trooper3
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 05/14/07 at 15:49:32

OK, I took some measurements at work just for informational purposes on my used cam tension adjuster. I measured the hardness of the eye end of the piston/rod using a Rockwell Hardness tester (C scale) and measured the spring rate as the tensioner extends on our spring force deflection machine.

The piston/body is hardened steel, between HRc 53-55. I can't really tell if it is case hardened or thru hardened, it would have to be sectioned up (read that destroyed) and I would have to run a microindentation or microhardness test a radially points  through the part using Vickers or Knoop tests to see how the hardness varies.

For reference purposes, a Grade 8 bolt  typically has a hardness in the range of HRc 33-37. The piston/body is significantly harder and stronger than a Grade 8 bolt.

I measured the spring rate of the compression  spring on our rate measuring machine. My spring had a rate of @ 3.9 lbf/in. I also measured the force to just hold the piston from ratcheting to the next position at both extreme assembled positions (ie. highest and lowest forces). With the piston all the way into the bore it took @ 6.8 lbf to hold it from ratcheting to the first position outward, whereas with the piston about to come out of the bore, on the last serration, it took @ 3.3 lbf to hold it in.

Like I said, being an engineer I am curious why this set-up seems to cause problems in engines with what I think is minimal mileage. No one seems to have good data on how much the tensioner sticks out when the engine has little or no miles. It would be better to have data with some break-in miles because I am sure the initial wear-in is considerable as things seat together.  Looking at a freshly built engine with new cam chain parts would most likely be a lot different than looking at one with 500-1000 break-in miles on it. Just put a new chain on a bike, set the chain slack and run it for a few hundred miles and then check it again. I bet you have to adjust it tighter (I have done this so many times in my kids and my years of street and dirt bike riding that I would like to forget it). After the initial adjustment and wear-in period things tend to "quiet down" and the adjustment period is much, much longer.

One other thought I had was how much the thermal expansion/growth of the aluminum parts between the crankshaft centerline and cam centerline at temperature tightens the chain. We only have the ability of looking at the tensioner assembly in the  cold state when I believe it would be at its loosest. Does running hot cause the chain  to be overtightened and accelerate its wear(since the ratchet is one-way ( probably pops to the next notch when cold and maybe is then overtight when hot)?  Just thinking out loud.

Hope someone eventually figures this out.

Rick C. (whose sister is the newest member of the cam chain club and I get the lucky job of being her mechanic)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 05/14/07 at 16:48:41

Most likely, the material is 1050 (or something like it) and case hardened.  I used this material and had similar readings.  And the load requirements of this part don't warrant a more expensive mat'l IMO.

If there's extra wear on the tensioner guide then I would think that would be evidence of running hot taking up all the slack and causing an over tight condition.  Mine did have this type of wear.  At full extension of the adjuster, this might even what causes the plunger to become c0cked and oval out the hole.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #44 - 06/02/07 at 18:09:13

Slavy/Verschlagen Nice  Smiley mod. I was thinking from the other end and trying to avoid welding, heat-treating/hardening.  Out of 4130  bar steel (or square steel) machine a small (diameter of plungerhousing)  Y shaped tuningfork. Drill holes (2) in open end and bolt  onto plungerhousing making sure that open end fits tight against plungerhousing. Drill the other hole with desired bore-spacing and mount to existing dowel/stud using original circlip. This all is best made with milling- machine and drill-press. I've got a drawing. No need for me to make one now since I do not have a S40 yet!! My friend tell me I'm grazy to buy a machine with a build in handgrenade whose pin gets pulled by time. But I like thumpers and don't mind tinkering. Still riding my bulletproof 650 GLi Silverwing bought new in '83.
Keep smiling

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 09:17:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cam chain tensioner mod works

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.