Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Okay, popped the case & looked at the cam chain (Read 538 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Okay, popped the case & looked at the cam
Reply #105 - 03/09/07 at 11:39:38

So, say ya stick a new chain on, what's the distance between the chain headed up & the chain headed down? I would want to line the chain up so the peaks on the inside of the links are opposite each other & measure the closest point. On my chain it was close to 1/2 ". It has just over 14,000 miles on it.

IP Logged
Aeres
Ex Member

Reply #106 - 03/09/07 at 12:12:01

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
So, say ya stick a new chain on, what's the distance between the chain headed up & the chain headed down? I would want to line the chain up so the peaks on the inside of the links are opposite each other & measure the closest point. On my chain it was close to 1/2 ". It has just over 14,000 miles on it.

That's a really good question.  I wish I had made that measurement before the case got buttoned up.  One thing I did notice was that the closest points from the upside to the downside is now moved up into the cylinder case towards the middle of the tensioner guide.  My impression is that there is now more distance between the two sides now since that gap has moved away from the smaller sprocket to the bigger one.

I am also not using a new chain but a good used one that measured out at about 128.0 mm for 20 links as per SSM method.  This chain will have to distort to the point of severe timing errors before the tensioner gets towards its limits.  So hopefully this will mitigate any potential catastrophic engine failure even if there is lots of chain "stretch".

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #107 - 03/09/07 at 12:33:03

And you don't think that the pressure of the cam chain will cause the rear guide to straighten back out as the engine is running?

You have both the pressure of the chain and the non-reversing movement of the tensioner involved here.  If the guide flexes back toward its original shape the tensioner will click into a new ratchet position and stay there.  I would guess that when that happens the curve cannot return.

I hope that it is a quick fix that works, but I still believe the chain will always try to follow the path in this illustration.

IP Logged
Aeres
Ex Member

Reply #108 - 03/09/07 at 13:52:53

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
And you don't think that the pressure of the cam chain will cause the rear guide to straighten back out as the engine is running?

You have both the pressure of the chain and the non-reversing movement of the tensioner involved here.  If the guide flexes back toward its original shape the tensioner will click into a new ratchet position and stay there.  I would guess that when that happens the curve cannot return.

I hope that it is a quick fix that works, but I still believe the chain will always try to follow the path in this illustration.

Thanks for that Greg.  I gave that some thought as well.  My belief (hope?) is that since this is the slack side of the chain, the dominant force on that side is from the tensioner.  It was a lot easier for me to compress the plunger into the tensioner body than to bend the tensioner guide (its a pretty stiff piece of steel in there) so I really think the guide will hold its new shape.  But even if it fires up and runs fine now, like I think it will, I won't know for a while whether this will solve the problem for the long run.  But I am optimistic...

And even if it somehow returns to its original shape, I am likely no worse off than when I started.  

But now that I think of it, back where I started isn't very good.

IP Logged
Aeres
Ex Member

Reply #109 - 03/09/07 at 16:19:32

Well it fired right up and all seems well!  Chain noise is gone and it runs smooth.

Now its time to tune...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #110 - 03/09/07 at 16:58:23

I wonder If we could drill and tap a hole to align with the center of the guide.
With that we could use a bolt with a spring to support this guide.  
And maybe dial in some adjustment from the outside.

Those with them open... what do you think?

Grin Grin Grin Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #111 - 03/09/07 at 17:13:45

I would be reluctant to drill & tap a hole in that casting. I wonder about a different mount for the cam chain tensioner. If it had an offset post instead of straight, seems a bit more of the plunger could be inside it, allowing for more extension before the hole started getting oblonged or risk falling apart. As long as the post was stopped so that the pressure from the tensioner was tightening it sould hold I would think. Since every set of threads can't be the same, the male end would need a set of some sort. I don't know how much faith I would have in a jam nut in a hot oily place with vibration applied.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #112 - 03/09/07 at 22:32:53

Well my new chain is on order and I'll delve into it once it comes.
I was thinking the same, offsetting the mounting for the tensioner so it could be made longer.
But I think adding some support or stiffener to the guide will stabilize the guide and solve the mystery of why the chain measures good but the tensioner sticks out 18mm.
My third idea is to replace the tensioner and guide with an idler pulley.  Kind of what you find on a ten speed bike.
Until it comes... I live vicariously.  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #113 - 03/10/07 at 07:23:30

Aeres wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Thanks for that Greg.  I gave that some thought as well.  My belief (hope?) is that since this is the slack side of the chain, the dominant force on that side is from the tensioner.  It was a lot easier for me to compress the plunger into the tensioner body than to bend the tensioner guide (its a pretty stiff piece of steel in there) so I really think the guide will hold its new shape.  But even if it fires up and runs fine now, like I think it will, I won't know for a while whether this will solve the problem for the long run.  But I am optimistic...

And even if it somehow returns to its original shape, I am likely no worse off than when I started.  

But now that I think of it, back where I started isn't very good.

Well, as long as you've considered all the options, what can I say?

We all take calculated guesses from time to time...just as I'm doing in the other topic.  I suppose the thing to do will be to put a few thousand on it an open it up for inspection before it would have failed anyway.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #114 - 03/10/07 at 07:26:30

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I wonder If we could drill and tap a hole to align with the center of the guide.
With that we could use a bolt with a spring to support this guide.  
And maybe dial in some adjustment from the outside.

Those with them open... what do you think?

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Maybe it's me, but could you sketch out that thought?  My imagination isn't fully awake yet Tongue

IP Logged
Aeres
Ex Member

Reply #115 - 03/10/07 at 11:27:15

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Well, as long as you've considered all the options, what can I say?

We all take calculated guesses from time to time...just as I'm doing in the other topic.  I suppose the thing to do will be to put a few thousand on it an open it up for inspection before it would have failed anyway.

Thanks Greg.  Given that I had to put that guide on my knee and really put some force on it (75-100 lbs?) to bend it tells me its not going to go any where.  So from where I sit today I am about 99% sure I have this problem licked for my engine.  The shape is now more like other chain guides I have seen for other engines.  In its original shape, the chain doesn't come in contact with the guide except at the bottom 'knee', which seems to me an unusual design.  And I think that it is a flaw.

However, my curiosity may get the better of me.  I'm considering opening it up again just to see how the tensioner ratchet settled in after having run the engine for a bit.  I can try to take some measurements of the separation between the up and down sides of the chain as was previously suggested.  This will tell me if there were any quick changes from the config where I left it.

For me, the thought of drilling and tapping the case to add another component to this timing system is really unnecessary.  I recommend trying this bent guide technique, and only if that fails, then consider something more radical.

If I decide to open it up I'll take a pic of the tensioner with the used chain and post it.  And I'll let you know what I find.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #116 - 03/10/07 at 11:43:22

Aeres wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Thanks Greg.  Given that I had to put that guide on my knee and really put some force on it (75-100 lbs?) to bend it tells me its not going to go any where.  So from where I sit today I am about 99% sure I have this problem licked for my engine.  The shape is now more like other chain guides I have seen for other engines.  In its original shape, the chain doesn't come in contact with the guide except at the bottom 'knee', which seems to me an unusual design.  And I think that it is a flaw.

However, my curiosity may get the better of me.  I'm considering opening it up again just to see how the tensioner ratchet settled in after having run the engine for a bit.  I can try to take some measurements of the separation between the up and down sides of the chain as was previously suggested.  This will tell me if there were any quick changes from the config where I left it.

For me, the thought of drilling and tapping the case to add another component to this timing system is really unnecessary.  I recommend trying this bent guide technique, and only if that fails, then consider something more radical.

If I decide to open it up I'll take a pic of the tensioner with the used chain and post it.  And I'll let you know what I find.

I'll have to take a closer look at the guide this afternoon, too.

IP Logged
Aeres
Ex Member

Reply #117 - 03/10/07 at 14:41:09

So I couldn't resist looking at it after it ran a bit.  As you can see in the pic below, the tensioner has settled in to a good position, even though the chain is a used one and a bit stretched but still well within wear limits (has about 17k miles on it).

The measurement now is exactly 12.0mm from the plunger shoulder to the face of the tensioner body.  The space between the two chains is in the neighborhood of 18mm or about 0.7 inches.

In the photo below I am comparing the old plunger with the new one to illustrate how much of the plunger is still inside.  It looks like over half the rack is still available to the ratchet.  

This plunger won't come out unless the chain lets go completely.

So this is great from my perspective.  I feel confident this will last so I will button it up and run it for several thousand miles and check it again.

I'll keep you posted...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #118 - 03/10/07 at 15:24:21

Thanks, I am exactly in a place to benefit from your work. I sure appreciate this forum & the folks who lead the way..
I hope I am able to contribute to the cause by finding a way to do something on this bike easier & cheaper that is the norm.. Most likely won't,, I'll be reading, fixin & ridin,, hopefully, not in that order.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #119 - 03/10/07 at 20:11:21

So far so good then.  I did notice that my guide still has a small curve to it.  Maybe you found a good quick fix.

Put a couple thousand on it and check again?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 07:28:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Okay, popped the case & looked at the cam chain

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.