Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Magneto Rotor Puller (Read 34 times)
FullFlavorPike
Ex Member

Magneto Rotor Puller
03/07/07 at 11:04:18

I'm new to this forum, but I had great success on the Superhawk forum for my other bike, so here goes.  

I am trying to get the starter clutch pulled and broken down for a little bit of welding to some teeth.  This is on an 86 bike, btw.  I can't get the magneto rotor off, I need the puller.  The dealer says the things cost almost ninety dollars new.  Obviously, I don't want to buy one if I don't have to.  I'm thinking about fabbing one up from a very large nut, some metal pipe, and a bolt to go through the top just like on the factory unit.  Anybody used one of these before who can give me some tech specs to help with the fabrication process??

Any help on the subject is gretly appreciated.  I want to get this little beauty up and running for my girlfriend.  SHe's 5'4" and hasn't been able to ride anything yet, but we finally have a bike she can put her feet down on!

Thanks again,
Ian
Boston, MA

IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Re: Magneto Rotor Puller
Reply #1 - 03/07/07 at 11:27:25

try pit posse 38 bucks if memory serves me right.

allan.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 03/07/07 at 13:24:53

I just got into the manual and see the puller they recommend....You do have a dilemma.

I think that you might as well start fabbing one.  It'll always make a good paperweight later...better than a $90 tool, that is.

IP Logged
FullFlavorPike
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/07/07 at 21:46:07

Thanks for the lead on the cheaper puller, man.

As far as the fabbing goes, my thoughts are like so:

Start with a big nut that will thread onto the wide threaded part of the rotor.  Weld onto that a section of pipe tall enough to clear the rotor bolt.  Onto the other end of the pipe weld a smaller nut, maybe with a washer or something to help it sit plumb and level, through which a bolt can be threaded to raise the puller.  Is this how the little beast works in real life?  Does the bolt at the top of the puller just thread right through and push on the rotor bolt, thereby pulling the rotor off the crank by its very large threads?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 03/08/07 at 05:01:12

FullFlavorPike wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

Start with a big nut that will thread onto the wide threaded part of the rotor.  Weld onto that a section of pipe tall enough to clear the rotor bolt.  Onto the other end of the pipe weld a smaller nut, maybe with a washer or something to help it sit plumb and level, through which a bolt can be threaded to raise the puller.  Is this how the little beast works in real life?  Does the bolt at the top of the puller just thread right through and push on the rotor bolt, thereby pulling the rotor off the crank by its very large threads?

The manual states that you use the smaller bolt with the puller to remove the rotor.  And of course, ya gotta hold it still at the same time.

IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/09/07 at 11:22:15

FFP- Have you tried this yet?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 04/09/07 at 13:30:49

That's how it works.
Difference with the OEM puller is that the bolt at the top has LH thread, which imo is not required. Make sure you can hold the puller when you tighten the bolt.
BTW the thread pitch is 1.5 mm

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/09/07 at 13:50:51

Do you remember the rotor thread size by chance. There is a Fastenal down the road and I could pick one up there.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #8 - 04/09/07 at 14:03:36

Crusher0964 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Do you remember the rotor thread size by chance. There is a Fastenal down the road and I could pick one up there.

I did measure the INSIDE thread of the puller and that is
48.5 mm.  The OUTSIDE diameter of the threaded part on the rotor  is 49.9 mm.
Which makes 50x1.5 mm thread
(got my digital vernier out and measured)

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/09/07 at 14:17:14

Thanks, you've been a big help. Wink

IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/12/07 at 04:27:35

I know this is crude but it worked. I had to weld two bolts together to be long enough to screw into the rotor and then puller. Now the flywheel nut is another bear. I made a wrench to fit but the nut was so thin I could not get a grip on it. So I used a bigger hammer and a punch. One of them go or no times. It worked and did not tear up anything. Whew! Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 15:51:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Magneto Rotor Puller

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.