Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LED turn signals require different flasher module (Read 1173 times)
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
LED turn signals require different flasher module
01/24/07 at 09:59:20

I installed LED turn signals on my bike. Since the LED lights don't pull as much, the bike thinks a light is out and is giving me the fast blink when I use the turn signals. I know I can install a load equalizer in the mix, to fix this, if need be.

My question is, Is it OK if I just leave it? The fast blink doesn't bother me, but I don't want to burn up a flasher unit or something. Just wondering if anyone has and info on this

Edited the title upon moving thread to Tech Ref forum.

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 13:01:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
WWW   IP Logged
xvrider
Ex Member

Re: LED turn signal question
Reply #1 - 01/24/07 at 12:04:01

Here's a thread about that very issue (only its on a Yamaha XJ site)  I would imagine the Suzuki's work in a similar fashion.

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=210/highlight=flasher.html

IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #2 - 01/24/07 at 12:48:51

Thanks Rob. I read through that whole thread. There was some helpful info, but not a lot of info that applied to me. But, I did find a link there that helped a lot:

http://www.customdynamics.com

I think I'll be fine. If I want to get the turn signals to flash normally, I'll either need to get a load equalizer, or replace my flasher relay with an LED flasher relay

WWW   IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #3 - 01/25/07 at 17:14:38

Come on now, Thumperclone! after getting these on and seeing them, they're here to stay (hopefully)!

@ Jim_R: I don't know much about the resistors, but will look into it.  These turn signals are not LED's that plug into the existing turn signal using the same current, They're aftermarket LED signals. They take less current to run them than the Stock filament signals. I'll look into it though, thanks

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/25/07 at 21:02:02

Okay, I am confuse. I see"It's blinkin fast, like I have a light out" I see answers to the problem including, "add resistors"
& I expect you mean in series. Now, here's my problem. If a light is out the resistance is infinite. Flasher no flashee. When I add a pigtail to the pickup & plug a trailer in, the signals blinbk too fast, Why? INcreased current thru the flasher unit, heating the bi-metal strip, causing it to "Click" quicker. So, Why do LED lights cause it to flash faster? Seems to me it should flas very slow if at all, because the current thru the flasher unis is greatly decreased & the resistors should be in parallel with the led lights to increase current thru the flasher unit to make it flash. BUT< I cant see it so I just dunno..

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 01/25/07 at 21:22:26

When we used bimetallic flashers that depended on currnt flow to heat the metal point arm and caus eht circui to go open, the extra bulbs made it falsh fast. The new systems work on electronics and are made so that a bulb out (less resistance) will make the flasher faster to notify the driver who never otherwise would know. Different flasher for different times. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #6 - 01/26/07 at 03:55:31

The faster blinking rate is caused by the lesser load on the blinker. Remember that if a bulb is blown your blinkers blink FASTER.

There are 2 solutions for this problem:

1) Replace the blinker unit with one thats load-    
   independant

2) Put a resistor in the wire( in series) going to the LED
   blinkers

The OEM blinker unit is designed for 2x21Watt bulbs per side. Now you have 21Watt up front and maybe 2 Watts at the rear. A 3.9 ohm, 20 watt resistor with heatsink will bring the blinking rate back to normal.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 01/26/07 at 04:15:16

interesting thread...here is why I wouldn't waste my time with the resistors in series.  

1. the leds are designed to run at 12v.  If you put a resistor in series you now split the 12v between the led and the resistor so your led will now be running on less voltage and most likely will either not fire or will be very dim.
2. when you say it senses less load it must be sensing less current not less resistance.  the two have an inverse relationship.  If it senses less current which would make sense since LEDs have a very high impedance (resistance) and run on low current then it senses current (this would match having a bulb out).  If you add a resistor in series you would be increasing the resistance of the leg of the circuit, reducing the voltage to the led as mentioned above, AND FURTHER DECREASING the current through that leg of the circuit taking you in the wrong direction.

To go the resistor route you would have to add a resistor in paralle but you need to do this carefully...and before you do it ask yourself why.  If you added the lights cause they look cool go for it.  If you added the lights to cut the current load on your charging system then this won't help.

What you would have to do is size the resistor based on the wattage of the original light and the new led's.  you need to raise the wattage (and hence current Watts = V*I=R*I*I) to match that of the original light.  
You will add a resistor in paralle that will take all of the current that the original light took minus the little bit the led's are taking.  Then combined they both take the same total current and the led still gets 12v potential.

It sounds complicated but really isn't.  If you really want to pursue it.....??.....give me the wattage of the stock bulb and the new led's and we should be able to get you something that should work.  If you don't have the wattage of the new leds look for the current draw..I can directly calculate the wattage.  I am guessing they would avertise in wattage though.

Regards and good luck!

Smokin blue

WWW   IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #8 - 01/26/07 at 05:06:17

I agree Smokin Blue. I think the resistor might not be the right route for me. I'm thinking that if I do anything, I will get a set of these load equalizers:
http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm

Also, I am running these same turn signals up front too

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #9 - 01/26/07 at 06:23:39

Load equalizers are just resistors, which you put in series .

"They get hot"as quoted from the site.

Best is to get an electronic blinker unit ( Radio Shack?)

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #10 - 01/26/07 at 06:59:43

Thanks Kropatchek, I did not know they were the same. they LED Flasher is here and only $20: http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm#Standard_DOT_Flasher

WWW   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Re: LED turn signal Information (moved from RSD)
Reply #11 - 12/24/09 at 08:37:40

I know that this is a pretty old thread, but www.superbrightleds.com has a small square flasher unit for $8.95 plus $5.00 S&H. Says it will work for LEDS and regular.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 12/25/09 at 08:04:19

Awesome.  I was about to buy a $20 one for my DRZ.  Thanks for the tip.  I will report back on how it works.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #13 - 12/25/09 at 11:50:33

Glad to help. Mine shipped the 24th. Hope to have it by Weds. I figure that was easier than the resistor thing.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #14 - 12/29/09 at 10:35:45

Got the flasher unit. Works like a champ and would you believe that the flat one I bought plugs right into the harness plug. Just need  a little tape to keep it tight.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 10:17:54

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › LED turn signals require different flasher module

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.