Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LED turn signals require different flasher module (Read 1173 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: LED turn signal Information (moved from RSD)
Reply #15 - 12/29/09 at 11:39:16

Cool.  I got the flat-plugged one too but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll hook it up with LED signals all around, hopefully this week.  Smiley

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #16 - 01/01/10 at 10:45:10

It not only wires up, but it fits in the rubber holder!  Cheesy

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #17 - 01/07/10 at 11:27:21

WooHoo! I got my flasher  Cheesy  It looks really well made, too.   The electronics are potted into the housing with epoxy.. it looks completely submersible.  I can't wait to hook it up, and may throw up a couple of photos too.  Now where'd all my time for screwing around with motorbikes go?  Undecided

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #18 - 01/07/10 at 17:47:28

Ok here's the $8.95 flasher along with two of the LED signals I plan to run with it.  The other two signals are idenical.  You can see how the flasher is fully encased.. beyond weatherproof.

The label says it's good for anywhere from 0.05 to 10 amps.  Since there are no 60-watt turn signals, it should work for any combination of LED and incandescent signals.  

I got only a few minutes into the disassembly and wiring before I came down with a severe case of butt-freeze-itis.  But for the Savage, the rest should be just as Oldnewguy describes.  For my DRZ There will be some cutting and splicing to do.  But the principle is the same.. pass +12V through the flasher to the handlebar switch, which sends it to either the left or right signals.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #19 - 01/08/10 at 10:15:06

Boule’tard wrote on 01/07/10 at 12:36:42:
Cool.  Come 5:00 I'm on it like a fat kid on cake.  You turn down babyhog when she wants pics, you're missing out.   Wink

Kiss  Kiss  Kiss  Thank ya!  Just don't go freezin off that pretty little butt of yours!

I want new signals, but haven't decided on any in particular.  Anybody have any suggestions??  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #20 - 01/08/10 at 11:04:10

See?  I got kissies from babyhog  Cheesy  

But back to technical.. the signals I got are called "MOTO LED Flasher Type 602" by DRC Hardware.  They also come in clear and orange lenses.

There are a few more styles to browse on the wheelingcyclesupply site, but most are the dualsport variety..

« Last Edit: 07/11/14 at 09:57:20 by verslagen1 »  

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #21 - 01/15/10 at 07:52:11

The part number for that unit at superbrightleds is LF1-S-FLAT for $8.95. Sorry about the pics babyhog, but my head was just not working that day.  Cool

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #22 - 01/15/10 at 10:06:12

Thanks, Oldnewguy.  If I'm lucky, I might get around to relocating my signals under the license plate, but I probably won't get around to converting to LED anyway.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #23 - 04/06/10 at 20:43:42

Where does this plug into?  where to the rear turn signal plug in?  sorry i am super newb to electronics and bikes.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #24 - 04/07/10 at 04:11:56

Sitting the bike the turn signal module is about at your right knee or a little forward. It is square, black and in a rubber holder. This is a direct replacement for thr OEM unit. Put a little tape on the connector, it fits a little loose. I am not sure, but you may have to pull the tank to get to it. I don't remember.  Smiley

IP Logged
HoustonBussa
YaBB Newbies

If it ain't fun I
ain't doing it
-SYCKK Life

SW Houston
Re: LED turn signals require different flasher mod
Reply #25 - 07/09/14 at 06:12:59

I hate to be a dead thread resurrecter, but just FYI, to fix this issue with a stock flasher unit, you have to put in a resistor that runs parallel with the LED flasher. This is to simulate the resistance given by a regular bulb. (i.e. why your flasher flash faster when a bulb is out).  50W 60 ohm. But I've done this on cars and it's currently done on my Hayabusa. You will want to get a ceramic encased one or an audio quality (http://www.amazon.com/Resistors-Signal-License-Warning-Cancellor/dp/B004EDF8HY for example) one which is ceramic encased and then has a heat sink on top of that.  The flasher AND the resistor are both tied to the positive and negative lead of power source wires. Now THAT said and done, there is no power save benefit given as it will draw as much as a light bulb. But unless you go LED all the way around (front and rear) and go to a low impedance flashing unit, then you're probably more doing it for the look.  Not that a flasher should really be a solution for electrical power consumption issues.  

|-----LED----|
|                  |
|--Resistor--|
|                  |
(+)              (-)

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 01:41:41

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › LED turn signals require different flasher module

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.