Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plexifairing 3 From National Cycle (Read 640 times)
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Plexifairing 3 From National Cycle
03/08/08 at 15:51:57

I've recently installed a Plexifairing 3 on my 98 stock LS650. The instructions from National Cycle are very general, and don't tell how to get the thing to fit. I imagine with all the bike models out there, comprehensive instructions for every bike would be the size of a telephone book. The instructions are for a "dealership". Being a Savage owner/operator/wrencher, I had to look this word up. Dealership? I don't need no dealership, I've got SuzukiSavage.com!

Prior to installing this sheild, I searched the Internet for some photos of real bikes with the sheild installed - there are a few, but they are all installed incorrectly; but that's my opinion.

My machine is a 1998 Stock with a buckhorn bar. Savage owners have to purchase "bag 077" for mounting the stays to our 1 inch bar. National Cycle sells it directly - it's about $20 delivered as of this writing.

Here's the machine with "max sheilds up":

Note the angle of the shield is  not parallel to the rake - I think this is correct, but there are postings out there that insist the angles match. YMMV.

« Last Edit: 03/08/08 at 21:44:32 by 1st2know »  

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Plexifairing 3 From National Cycle
Reply #1 - 03/08/08 at 15:57:37

The angle I chose here is important on the Savage, as if you choose the paralell angle, the skirt of the Plexifairing 3 will be in front of the turn signals. This may not be a problem, but it didn't look right for me, so I put the skirt behind the blinkers:

« Last Edit: 03/08/08 at 21:15:36 by 1st2know »  

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 03/08/08 at 16:07:12

In the instructions, they do tell you the correct order in which to install, but the placement of the stays is where it gets tricky. I installed the stays incorrectly several times, "so you dont have to" Smiley  Here  is where I think the lower skirt stays should go:

About an inch and a half above the lower tree. The stay itself, an "L" shaped rod that connects to the sheild and then to the bracket, will point forward and outward. You can use the blinkers themselves as a reference point to make sure the skirts are fitted evenly. You may have to flip the bracket around a few times to get that L shaped rod to line up, but it's easy and only takes a minute to get it right.

« Last Edit: 03/08/08 at 21:16:18 by 1st2know »  

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #3 - 03/08/08 at 16:22:33

Upper Placement:

Ok, this is where most of my head scratchin time went, and this is what I settled on:

Remember, the patient here has buckhorns. The brackets from "bag 077" are round, but these bars are cold bent and not exactly round. This is the highest position I could get them to fit. You S40 owners with yer fancy risers and flatbar will probably have an easier time with this.

You may have to loosen the banjo bolt on the master cylinder to get the thing to fit.  

Don't give up - these brackets will clamp down. I didn't use the sticky tape that comes with  the brackets. The tape prevents the brackets from turning on the bar under normal use. I'll keep the tape handy in case the instructions are right Smiley

Of course, both brackets should be at the same height - mine are real close to the same height:

View from "inside" the vehicle.

« Last Edit: 03/08/08 at 21:19:10 by 1st2know »  

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 03/08/08 at 16:37:46

To get the right wind protection for my hands & face, I mounted the shield about an inch higher than spec.

It is most obvious in this photo:

The edge liner is about an inch above the headlight. I think it would be ok resting on the headlight liner, but I moved it up an inch to be safe, and it places the "wings" right in front of my handgrips.

The opening for the fork should fit on the fork member, and it fits perfectly. This is another good test for symetry.

« Last Edit: 03/08/08 at 22:08:26 by 1st2know »  

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 03/08/08 at 16:41:31

The best test for fitting is the U-Turn test. With the skirt, there is a risk that the skirt can come in contact with the tank. Standing over the bike, turn the bar all the way to the left, then to the right to check your clearence. There should be almost an inch of clearence between the skirt and the tank:

Another trickier, but important test, check to make sure the skirt does not bump your knees when your turning. This could result in comprimised low speed handling (U-turns,  parking). I did a few figure eights and had more than enough room to spare. YMMV.

« Last Edit: 03/08/08 at 22:10:58 by 1st2know »  

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 03/08/08 at 16:52:53

Finally, remember that the Plexifaring 3 is a big a$$ed sheild. I had to change the way I mounted the machine cuz I kept bumping my forehead on the top of the sheild. Not a deal killer, but something to think about.

I'm 5'11 and I cannot see over the shield while driving. I now have to remember to keep some wipes with me to keep the shield clean, because I have to look thru it to see the idiot turning right on red in to my right of way!

As far as the value of the shield, I can say this: It keeps me warm; I can now hear better - (I now have to fix the speedo rattle problem because it's very obvious now Smiley.

I read a biker's review where he warned Plexifairing users to watch their speed: Without all the wind noise and buffeting, you can't really sense your speed as well. I discovered this on my first test ride when I saw a cop ahead of me and wondered why he was going so slow in the 30mph zone. I looked down, and realized that I was doing 70 and he was going about 45. Crap - emeregency braking-too-avoid-a-ticket procedure Smiley

I would guess that this procedure would be either 1/2 or 1 billable hour at the stealership.  It took me about 1 1/2 hours, but that included de-installing the first fubar attempt and doing right the 2nd time.
Good luck, and let me know if you need more pics or advise.

« Last Edit: 03/08/08 at 22:00:33 by 1st2know »  

IP Logged
Prophet_10

TANSTAAFL

Dekalb, IL
Reply #7 - 04/11/08 at 10:18:05

1st2know wrote on 03/08/08 at 16:22:33:
Remember, the patient here has buckhorns. The brackets from "bag 077" are round, but these bars are cold bent and not exactly round. This is the highest position I could get them to fit. You S40 owners with yer fancy risers and flatbar will probably have an easier time with this.

You may have to loosen the banjo bolt on the master cylinder to get the thing to fit.  

Keep in mind "bag 077" will not be easier on an S40.  I may be possible to stuff it in if you move the master cylinder, but even then I am not sure.  For reference here is a link to a recent thread I started about those pivot mounts:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1205338797

« Last Edit: 07/13/12 at 12:21:09 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 06/13/08 at 12:01:38

I installed the Plexifairing 3 on my S40. It ended up being somewhat less elegant than the Plexifairing 3 I installed on my old Suzuki Tempter. Two problems arose. First, the upper mounts could only be installed in one spot, as the windshield top support interfered with the brake master cylinder. It might have been possible to rotate the brake master cylinder, but that changes the angle of the brake lever and I didn't want to do that. Second, if the fairing was installed as recommended behind the turn signals, there was interference with the tank at full lock. I installed it in front of the turn signals (reluctantly and under wifely goading). It works well enough, but ends up several inches above the headlight shell instead of resting near it. My fairing (just as on the Tempter) was too tall, and I cut an inch or so off the top of it. That cut also helped the optics, as the Plexifairing 3 is slightly "bent" at the top.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
deejaymo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/19/14 at 18:07:24

Hi,i didn't realize how old this post was,but it was extremely helpful ! The instructions that came with the windshield were terrible.  I wasn't happy with the installation on my 2003 Savage when i found your detailed pictures.   There really is no way to install the windshield in front of the turn signals without making serious contact and therefore,you can't keep the desired angle of the front fork.   I have to put some miles on the bike and tweak the windshield here and there,but it certainly keeps the wind off your chest and head.   Thank you again,
      Mark

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 23:03:41

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Plexifairing 3 From National Cycle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.