Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike won't start ... (Read 5 times)
dangerdave
Ex Member

Re: Bike won't start ...
Reply #30 - 11/18/05 at 07:18:31

Is it 10-40 or 20-40?  You have listed both in your previous posts.  In either case, be prepared to change the oil several more times before you resolve this demon:  as others have noted, gas backing into the airbox also likely means gas seeping into the intake, which means gas in the oil (which, speaking from experience, is a bad thing that causes bad things....).  Hence, I would recommend changing the oil frequently so long as you continue to have problems with fuel leakage.

Even 20-40 will drain very slowly when cold, but simply give it time and let it run out as much as it will allow.  It may not completely empty the crankcase (it certainly won't, in fact, due to the temperature), but you'll drain most of the fouled oil as well as any gas that may be in suspension even with the bike cold.  Once you get it running again, change the oil again as soon as possible.

Good luck!
dr

IP Logged
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Reply #31 - 12/23/05 at 02:08:02

WOW....what a wealth of information in this thread  Smiley

I think you guys have just saved me a visit from the local fire department!

I am currently working on my Fathers '96 savage and just completed the plug/cap fix and cleaned the oil left by the old plug/cap.

Long story short...The airfilter box filled with fuel. Cleaned it, left it open and observed it filling again. This time used screw driver handle and tapped carb bowl. This time started without overflow for a bit and then started again. Ran for a bit and then started having problems once again. Looks like the floats are not doing well.

Time to rebuild carb, but checked oil level to find case completely full with both oil and gas. Scary to be sure, but sounds like this is not unknown.

Ok so I will drain and refill with clean oil and change filter. Once I have the problem completely resolved should I drain the oil, refill, run for short time and change oil/filter again in order to make sure case is clean?

I also read about the issue with the petcock diaphram....could this also be an issue or maybe a source for the float problem I'm having?

I will search for more info on the petcock diaphram, but if someone has a quick way to check it I would greatly appreciate the info.

In the meantime my thanks to everyone for the valuable information already posted here. This has been very enlightening  Smiley  Also Happy Holidays to everyone!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #32 - 12/23/05 at 08:19:24

HDI_IA wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
WOW....what a wealth of information in this thread  Smiley

I think you guys have just saved me a visit from the local fire department!

I am currently working on my Fathers '96 savage and just completed the plug/cap fix and cleaned the oil left by the old plug/cap.

Long story short...The airfilter box filled with fuel. Cleaned it, left it open and observed it filling again. This time used screw driver handle and tapped carb bowl. This time started without overflow for a bit and then started again. Ran for a bit and then started having problems once again. Looks like the floats are not doing well.

Time to rebuild carb, but checked oil level to find case completely full with both oil and gas. Scary to be sure, but sounds like this is not unknown.

First off pat your self on the back you've encountered a pretty ugly problem and are dealing with it before it can cause serious damage to the top end  Cheesy

Quote:
Ok so I will drain and refill with clean oil and change filter. Once I have the problem completely resolved should I drain the oil, refill, run for short time and change oil/filter again in order to make sure case is clean?

I sure would maybe even twice on the oil after a few minutes of running

Quote:
I also read about the issue with the petcock diaphram....could this also be an issue or maybe a source for the float problem I'm having?

I will search for more info on the petcock diaphram, but if someone has a quick way to check it I would greatly appreciate the info.

If the carb was overflowing without the bike running and the petc0ck set to on/res it would be the diaphram inaddition to the float. A good test for this side is to pull the carb drain plug and once it drains if gas continues to drip out with w/petc0ck set to on/res than the fuel side is flaky - on the vacuum side if you have any gas in the line going to the petc0ck or like I did - no jokes from the peanut gallery - I pull a vacuum on the line and got a pretty good taste of gasoline - so I replaced it - also the new one would hold suction well enough for the line to stick to your tongue.

So far as I know the diaphram is not sold seperate and the petc0ck runs about $50 from crotchrocket.com  

Quote:
In the meantime my thanks to everyone for the valuable information already posted here. This has been very enlightening  Smiley  Also Happy Holidays to everyone!

and a Merry Christmas to you!

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #33 - 12/24/05 at 00:49:21

mpescatori,

If you have a small vacuum pump and a gauge, you could just pull a vacuum on the diaphram and see if it leaks down.

Another idea is tto find an apporpriately sized piece of clear tubing to attach between the petcock and the manifold for testing. Then you could monitor see if any gas is being sucked into the manifold from a leaky petcock diaphram.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Reply #34 - 12/24/05 at 04:40:24

Reelthing thanks for the information Smiley

Well I am a bit farther ahead now. Thank goodness my Father's savage has a tank that is easily removed cause I have had it off half a dozen times already in the last day Shocked

I really believe we were very lucky as when I emptied the oil I found that there was nearly 5 quarts of liquid in there. If I would have lit a match I would have been up in flames Shocked

Anyway the carb was removed, boiled and rebuilt....It was very dirty inside with lots of grit and other stuff in it. Now it looks brand new Cheesy I also finally got to see that it has a 155 jet inside.

Once I got everything done and back I was able to prime the carb and then get it started in the 'on' position. Started right up and ran fine without pouring fuel into the air box again (had the cover off and the filter out to observe).

But I still have one problem and that is if I switch over to 'reserve' it starts up with the fuel leakage again. Undecided

At this point I am thinking I need to test the petcock. I just read Steve530's response about using a vacuum pump and gauge to test this. I have a mityvac pump that has the dial gauge on it so when I get back up (it's after 4:30am here right now) I will give it a try and see how that goes.

I know some people might get discouraged doing these kind of things, but since my Mothers passing last year this has given my Father and I some serious time to bond, so sometimes problems can turn into blessings Cheesy

Anyway once again I want to thank both you Reelthing and Steve530 for the information and idea's.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #35 - 12/24/05 at 16:20:31

HDI_IA wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I know some people might get discouraged doing these kind of things, but since my Mothers passing last year this has given my Father and I some serious time to bond, so sometimes problems can turn into blessings Cheesy

You will never regret the time you have spent doing this with your Father.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Reply #36 - 12/25/05 at 02:20:57

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
You will never regret the time you have spent doing this with your Father.

Thanks very much for the kind words. I am very much enjoying this time making his favorite ride happy again Grin

Well once again thanks for the advice on using a vacuum pump on the petcock. Sure enough the petcock is fine and I just had a little bit more tinkering to do with the carb and all is well now! Grin

I have changed the oil twice and will ride it for a bit before I do the final oil change to get it back on schedule. I still have some adjustments to go with the carb, but other then that it is looking good!

The oil plug/cap mod appears to be holding well. The new supertrapp pipe I put on for him sounds wonderful and is performing very well. The superbrace I put on the front appears to have brought a ton of stability to the front end and the Metzler ME880's I put on it a short while back grip the ground like I expected them to do.

I still need to drain the forks and refill with fresh fork oil. We will ride it for a bit and see if he wants to go with the Progressive shocks. And I will remount his saddle bags in the next couple days once I have the brackets made.

If I keep going he will have most of the same mod's that I performed on my Intruder vs800.  Shocked Grin

Now it's time to ride my friends...so once again thanks to both you, Steve530, and to you Reelthing for your assistance (and thanks to all those others that have posted information in the past, but is being used in the present Wink ). Thanks so very much and Merry Christmas to ALL! 8)

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #37 - 12/26/05 at 04:20:49

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Just read on the Tech Section about oil change, and cphilip says:
''The main thing I would add it that you SHOULD NOT use a viscosity thats too low because of the wet clutches. They will slip on you. Nothing less than 15W. Nothing labeled "energy saving". The cork and metal plate clutch with springs system was designed way back in the days when they used only 30W non detergent oils. And they do not like very slippery oils by design.  

So no matter what oil you chose, remember you are also lubricating your clutch and it works on a basic viscosity need around 30. So for instance 15W-40 is an acceptable compromise and works. But, for instance 5W-30 is not within that compromise window. And your clutch will slip and act up
''

Which means, 20-40 oil OK?

Maurizio

How are you progressing with your Savage?  You were hard at work on it and then just dropped of line.  Is it going now?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 05:44:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike won't start ...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.