Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fell over (Read 4 times)
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Fell over
12/24/05 at 17:22:43

Not me...just the bike...in my driveway while I was in the garage getting my helmet on.  I just got it back from the dealer the other day after a way-to-expensive service.  They adjusted the idle so low that it needs a lot of time to warm up even on warm mornings.  It was about 49 degrees F this morning when I pulled it into the (slightly inclined) driveway and started it up.  As I walked away to put on my helmet I heard it begin to stall out.  As I turned around I saw it vibrate itself just enough to lose the stand and fall left.  Broke the handgrip on the end, scraped the mirror chrome but that's about it.  I think I'll be resetting that idle a bit higher on Monday...

Had to happen someday...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Fell over
Reply #1 - 12/24/05 at 19:30:25

That's a shame.  At least the bar end cap shouldn't be expensive.

Are you using the choke?  That usuallly keeps my '97 idling fast enough that it will not stall.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 12/24/05 at 20:00:48

That was my first thought also, are you using the choke?
The '05 S40 has three positions. Full to start. when it starts to chug, click it in one. When it starts to chug again, click it in to the off position. Another 4 or so minutes and she should be good to go. Takes a good 10 minutes overall for her to warm up good enough to ride.
I also make sure my bike is facing uphill so as not to roll forward and collapse the side stand. Live and learn.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #3 - 12/24/05 at 22:08:57

I generally just start the bike on the first notch and ride it for  a bit.  After a few miles, I'll close the choke.

Should I warm the engine for ten minutes before I ride the bike?

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
SavagePielk
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/25/05 at 02:08:04

no, as far as I know the best way to make sure your bike lasts a lifetime, just start it seconds before you ride off and just don't make it work too much the first 5-or-so miles. Warming the bike up before you ride off will let your engine get too warm and damage it in time. It may sound silly but it's the way it is.

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 12/25/05 at 04:31:53

If i start it up and take off, it spurts and sputters like crazy. Also from what I was taught in motorcycle riding school, the bike needs time to warm up and make sure the oil is distributed to every nook and cranny of the engine. Failure to do so will cause premature engine wear. But then again, I live in the great white north, and our temps are a little cooler.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #6 - 12/25/05 at 04:57:44

u must warm up your bike before riding off,i wont hurt anythig the engine is made too get hot Roll Eyes when the engine gots hot the metal gows making all the tolerances a lot tighter(which is a good thing)...like on my dads 1200 sportster u have to let a warm up there is even a screw u turn by the throttle gring to keep the idle up,it wont run if its cold,but when its hot holy sh!t she'll purr.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 12/25/05 at 07:17:32

You guys are touching a never-ending discussion topic. This was one of the most discussed car-questions. I am sure nobody will be able to give a proof to back-up his statement.
Anyway - just my opinion- if You use the chocke, start the bike and take it easy for about 2-3 miles / the first 3-5 min/  it will be the same or better than leaving the bike idling for 5-7 min. If You will jump in the heavy traffic and there is no way to ride below 3500 RPM- better let the bike warm-up. The truth is that the oil WILL fill up all the cavities and passages imidiately, BUT there are 2 very important moments
1. Thick oil doesn't flow good thru the oil filter, so in the begining the oil will go thru the by-pass valve if You rev the engine, and You will have an unfiltered oil lubricating the motor.
2. The oil is pumped under pressure from the oil sump, but it has to go back to the sump by gravity, wich means, that if the oil is like a honey, You WILL have a moment when the oil is going to be somewhere in the head and on the way back to the bottom but the level in the case will be below the MIN level unless You are way above the MAX level in normal conditions.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 12/25/05 at 11:49:10

I've always let the bike warm up as I'm putting on the helmet, gloves and any other cold weather gear needed. Usually keep it on half choke till it runs a bit rough then open the choke up the rest of the way. Guess it all depends on the bike and how it is jetted.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #9 - 12/25/05 at 19:38:26

SavagePielk wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
no, as far as I know the best way to make sure your bike lasts a lifetime, just start it seconds before you ride off and just don't make it work too much the first 5-or-so miles. Warming the bike up before you ride off will let your engine get too warm and damage it in time. It may sound silly but it's the way it is.

The SAVAGE owners manual says...

"ALLOW THE ENGINE OIL TO CIRCULATE BEFORE RIDING. Allow enough idling time after warm or cold engine start up before revving the engine or placing the transmission in gear.  This allows time for the lubricating oil to reach all critical engine componets."

But the manual gives no aproximate time for this to happen.  I've heard that the Savage has a particular problem  in this regard because of how far the oil needs to travel.

I've decided that I will wait 2 minutes for this to happen. This is usually not a problem when first starting out since getting dressed usually takes up most of that time.  However, at a gas station it's a bit inconvienient.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #10 - 12/25/05 at 22:39:13

necropsy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
That was my first thought also, are you using the choke?.....I also make sure my bike is facing uphill so as not to roll forward and collapse the side stand. Live and learn.

Yea - I had the choke all open, I played with the idle speed today and got it back to "normal" (pre-dealership work)  Grin Also will never park the bike on that surface of my driveway again Embarrassed Angry

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 07:55:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fell over

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.