Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removable Saddle Bag Brackets (Read 9 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Removable Saddle Bag Brackets
12/25/05 at 15:42:26

Been spending the last couple days designing removable saddle bag supports out of 3/16 stainless. Here are the brackets
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/489011/
 that fit around the turn signal stems at the rear and clip into this
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/489012/
 and look like this when on the bike
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/489010/
 This way I can just drop the bags on the bike when needed which then looks like this
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/489020/
  Just thought it was a good idea and had to try it. The bags are held on with some clips tied on the tiedowns.
Merry Christmas everybody

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Removable Saddle Bag Brackets
Reply #1 - 12/25/05 at 20:32:52

Hi Ed,

Looks like a neat idea. Do you think the turn signal stem can support the weight?

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #2 - 12/25/05 at 20:38:18

Very nice! I like the fact that there is almost nothing there when the bags are off. Looks like it will work without the side rails.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Reply #3 - 12/25/05 at 22:38:34

What a wonderful idea Ed Cheesy

I was getting ready to created a set of brackets for my fathers savage, but after looking at your wonderful idea I dont have to put anymore thought into this.

Thanks so very much for sharing this wonderfully simple way to make these brackets.

A Merry Christmas to you too, Ed!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 12/26/05 at 03:18:01

Really, really nice fabrication job! Shows what a bit of imagination can accomplish!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 12/26/05 at 03:46:58

I have to whole-heartedly agree with the rest of the gang, you did an outstanding job of creating a very simple, easy to use, and very nice looking setup for the bags.

YOU GET THE BIG GOLD STAR FOR THIS ONE DUDE!! Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 12/26/05 at 12:54:58

Very cool idea, providing the turn-signal stems can support it.  It's especially nice because it doesn't extend the mounting bolts toward the tire, thus avoiding rubbing on the 140/90's.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 12/26/05 at 14:01:12

I don't think the turn signal supports will be a problem. most of the weight is supported by the bags draped across the seat. I need to put a couple hundred miles on the bike with the bags loaded up before the design gets my approval. Hot Da-mn time to plan an all day trip, one thing leads to another.  Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #8 - 12/26/05 at 21:30:47

Ed.L;
Very creative design Grin I love it; but it is little short to prevent the saddle bags from getting suck into the rim on the right side Shocked. If it was me, I would make the distance from top to bottom twice as long.(Just a suggestion for safety reason) Anyhow! Nobody will see the backets when you remove them, so it does not matter how long or short they are Smiley
SD

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #9 - 12/27/05 at 07:30:11

Yes, they seem way too short. The stock brackets are maybe three times as tall (hard to say exactly .. maybe four times)

I would make them longer.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 12/27/05 at 08:57:23

I couldn't go too much longer on the sides of the brackets, was using some leftover stainless from another project. Still have enough to make a couple "V"'s and am thinking about brazing (can't weld stainless with a torch) them on as extra support to keep the bags out of the wheels. It would make a mess if a saddle bag got pulled ito the wheel at speed. Will make the change before riding with them. Thanks for the input on the brackets and will let everyone know how they work out.

IP Logged
HDI_IA
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Torrance, CA
Reply #11 - 12/27/05 at 15:23:15

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Ed.L;
Very creative design Grin I love it; but it is little short to prevent the saddle bags from getting suck into the rim on the right side Shocked. If it was me, I would make the distance from top to bottom twice as long.(Just a suggestion for safety reason) Anyhow! Nobody will see the backets when you remove them, so it does not matter how long or short they are Smiley
SD

My father and I looked over the design and he said he wanted them a little longer as well. So sure enough that's what he did.

Part of the reason he wanted them a little lower (I think they go down about 6"s) is because my father mounts his bags under the pillion seat.

Anyway Ed my father was very, very impressed with your idea and wants me to extend his thanks to you for the wonderful idea. He is the kind of man that has always done this kind of non-conventional thing and appreciates it when others go outside the norm as well!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 12/27/05 at 16:32:46

Thanks, it shows what an overactive imagination can produce with too much caffine and a couple beers. The brackets fit the Savage credo, Keep It Simple, Single. I brazed the extra supports on the brackets, will post pictures as soon as I take them. Planning a day ride down to the Space Coast for tomorrow, maybe 100 miles round trip depending on the route.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 14:01:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removable Saddle Bag Brackets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.