Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike won't start ... (Read 5 times)
lordsteve_666
Ex Member

Bike won't start ...
09/24/05 at 13:39:50

Hi folks,

my '96 Savage is my first bike - got it for little money from a friend and really like to ride it!

But now the bike won't start anymore, and I'd thought I'd ask the experts if it's something I can fix before I take it to the shop. (I don't know much about bikes yet, but I'm usually good at mechanical things Smiley.

So, the effect is simple: the starter works, but the bike won't start, and the compartment behind the air cleaner fills up with gasoline ...

Does that indicate that something's wrong with the carburetor? Or am I totally on the wrong track here?

Anyhelp greatly appreciated - I'd like to get my bike up and running again!

Thanks!
Stefan

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Bike won't start ...
Reply #1 - 09/24/05 at 13:57:08

is the bike on prime ,instead of on?if the lever is in the on position there is probably some dirt in the fuel float needle, holding it open,or the petc0ck might be malfunctioning,but i would check the carb,it sounds like a good thurogh clean and rebuild should fix it.[glow=red,2,300]IMO [/glow]

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 09/24/05 at 14:04:24

Has the bike been sitting for a while?

IP Logged
lordsteve_666
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/24/05 at 14:06:22

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Has the bike been sitting for a while?

Yes, not for very long, but something like 4 weeks ...

- Stefan

IP Logged
lordsteve_666
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/24/05 at 14:08:43

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
is the bike on prime ,instead of on?if the lever is in the on position there is probably some dirt in the fuel float needle, holding it open,or the petc0ck might be malfunctioning,but i would check the carb,it sounds like a good thurogh clean and rebuild should fix it.[glow=red,2,300]IMO [/glow]

Alright, that's what I thought ... are there any known pitfalls I could fall in when taking the carb apart, cleaning  and rebuilding it?

- Stefan

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #5 - 09/24/05 at 14:12:29

its pretty straight forward,theres plenty of diagrams floating around this site to refer too,u must have feeler guages that is very important ,if u have a manuel for the bike it tells u all the specs.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #6 - 09/24/05 at 15:39:19

Check the actual gas in the tank, mine wouldn't start when I got some bad gas at a BP station. The gas was full of water and debris like rust flakes. The holding tank at the gas station must have been just about empty, and had water and other crap in it. Had to drain the tank and clean out the carb.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 09/24/05 at 18:56:45

I didn't see an answer as to whether the petc0ck was left on Prime.  If so, wouldn't it have flooded and also accounted for the fuel in the breather compartment?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 09/25/05 at 08:52:02

lordsteve_666 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Hi folks,

So, the effect is simple: the starter works, but the bike won't start, and the compartment behind the air cleaner fills up with gasoline ...

Thanks!
Stefan

What compartment behind the aircleaner?  You mean the airbox?  Do you have a lot of gas back there, or do you just smell gas?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 09/25/05 at 08:53:32

lordsteve_666 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Yes, not for very long, but something like 4 weeks ...

- Stefan

That shouldn't have been too long.

I'd start by turning the petc0ck straight down and then draining the carb bowl into a glass jar to see what comes out.  See if you have water or dirt in the bowl.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #10 - 10/18/05 at 14:31:55

Something odd happened this morning...
After my (heroic) 500 mile ride, I endured 2 weeks of rain, drizzle and generally speaking miserable weather. So I commuted in my car and the bike just laid there waiting for something to happen.
Then, this morning the sky was clear so I told myself 'Let's go!', donned my riding gear and...
Wofwofwofwof sput sput chuff.
Bike wouldn't start.
Battery was good and in order, I started smelling gas, but bike wouldn't start, and there's NO WAY one can get to the spark plug in good time (on my former glory, my old Moto Guzzi, the plug's right there staring at you!)
So this evening I got my tools, the Service Manual, a jerry can and 2 hours and  few cu$$words later (and some help from a neighbor of good will) I had undone the seat, the battery, the air filter, a whole bunch of absolutely unnecessary items and finally got to the fuel tank.
I drained that and finally parked it on the ground.
Guess what? The standard plug wrench is too thick and won't fit in the spark plug hole!!!  Angry Angry Angry
So some more cu$$words and I told mysef 'Let's give it one last try...'
The darn bike [glow=red,2,300]started [/glow] !!!
What happened next proved to be quite unusual...
A good half pint of gasoline started frothing in the air filter housing ! Shocked
I have absolutely no idea whether it had already pooled there during my unsuccessful attempts to start the bike this morning and during the late afternoon, or whether it had ... poured out of the carb float tank. I learned (the hard way) that the air filter housing has a sort of 'bottomless pit' (to hide the bugs sucked inside?) and it took me a while to mop it all out.
By the way, can I pour it back in the tank or should I use it as 'revenge juice' to get even with my arch enemy villain?
My half hunch is that I had left the petc0ck in the ON or maybe PRIME position, and had flooded the carb and the fuel had dribbled into the air filter housing. Also, another hunch is that the spark plug cable had not been fitted properly and was a little loose.
Can I just reassemble and drive off? I had wanted to check the spark plug but event though I have bought a plug wrench of the correct plug size, it seems to be too fat and simply will NOT enter deep enough to engage the plug itself. ???
So now I have a bike which is in bits on the floor of my garage, and do not know wheter to disassemble it some more or refit everything (possibly in the wrong order    Embarrassed) and pretend 'it never really happened'...

I am in a bit of a predicament... Embarrassed

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 10/18/05 at 14:36:41

By the way, when I undid the left battery cover (the one that covers the ignitor module) I found a small connector hanging loose . Not knowing what it was, I checked and discovered it is intimately related to the rear position lamp: the lamp stays off, no matter what, but when prodded with a multimeter the connector reads +12V with the light switch in the 'ON' position.
OK, where am I supposed to plug it back into?
I have looked and looked, but can't find a thing... ???

Suggestions?
I believe the wire colors to be green and black/white (sorry, it's all very far away in the garage...)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 10/18/05 at 15:11:16

Well, so far as the spark plug socket goes, I believe this is the one that fits the bill though I haven't tried it myself.  It is the correct size (18mm) and appears to be long enough.

Click on the image below.  You'll have to scroll down the page to find it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
jbrough7
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/18/05 at 15:14:01

I don't know about your electrical problem but i sure can commiserate with your spark plug wrench trials.  I went through the same thing one day and it must have taken me two hours just to get AT the plug.  then i find out the wrench wouldn't even fit!!  GRRRR!  Went down to  a cheapo hardware store and bought a socket so everything worked out in the end.  come to think of it, i have to change mine again soon, i think.  Great.

If I were you, I'd get the plug out and put a new one in and throw the sucker back together again.  if you're like me and you don't do that, the bike might be spread over the garage floor for quite a while.

bonne chance!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #14 - 10/18/05 at 15:22:38

Thanks Rob, I have the one with the T-handle, excellent grip but the metal's quite thick and it jams before engaging. I'll be on the lookout for your type.

JBrough7, I really guess I AM like you, else I would have thrown everything back together before dinner, rather than postponing it all until tomorrow! Tongue

Maurizio
PS This could be the one chance to fit a power outlet to the battery so that I can recharge it with a cigarette plug.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 06:01:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike won't start ...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.