Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: LOUD
Reply #30 - 07/22/05 at 16:20:28

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
What does this bike reflect about the rider?
http://ratbike.org/photos/show05/00_drdeath2.jpg

That his/her @ss is seriously sore?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #31 - 07/22/05 at 16:24:06

My comment about the phone doesn't really involve using lots of excess minutes with all those important calls that people have while boring eveyone else in a check out line....Smiley

What I meant, is this....while everyone is talking about being poor, broke, not enough money, etc.  People will probably buy a cell phone that costs as much as a proper exhaust for their bike simply because it has some new bell or whistle.  Right?  Gotta have a phone that is only 199.99 with a built in camera, but when they go to customize their bike, they can't afford over $35.

And what really takes it to a higher level, is they know the phone will be obsolete in a year and since they may have to renew a contract anyway, they'll probably just buy a new one.  Much more important than a muffler that will last 15-20 years?

It's all a matter of priorities....people either have the money, can save the money, or know how to get the money, and they can afford a new exhaust without filing for bankruptcy, selling their children or pimping their spouse.  

I guess that I don't understand...

I have yet to pay for any of my cell phones.  And I only pay $10/month for three of the four phones (Cingular Family Plan.)

It is a matter of priority.  Sure, I could spend an extra $200 on a high quality chromed muffler/pipe.   Or I budget that $200 toward a school trip, or a cello for #2 daughter, or a trumpet for #3 daughter, or something else that is more important to me than a shiny bike with a shiny muffler.  

Most of us are on limited budgets, some more limited than others.   We have just so much money that we can budget toward non-necessities.  Chrome is not a necessity.  Nor is a clean bike.  Or a bike with matching paint.  Or a bike with a new saddle in lieu of duct tape.

The muffler replacement itself is not a necessity, the stock muffler works quite well.  I would like  a different sound, but I cannot justify it as a necessity and thus the muffler has to come out of the far smaller mad money pocket rather than the larger necessary expense pocket.    And it has to compete for that limited amount of money with other wants such as a new digital camera, DVD recorder, VW floorpans, etc..

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #32 - 07/22/05 at 16:29:01

Basically, it's cheap easy & fun.   As long as I don't mess anything up, I can always put my stock muffler back on... or run an open header Wink

...and probably burn up my valves...

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 07/22/05 at 17:17:20

Paladin, i wish i could have said it better, Awesome way with words and making a point. You ROCK.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #34 - 07/23/05 at 03:36:33

I've fitted a 18" glasspack to KLX and it allows me to sneak about quietly at 1/4 throttle or break windows at full throttle.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #35 - 07/23/05 at 06:09:27

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I don't understand.   What is humorous about a Rat Bike?  A Rat is a bike which does not waste money on being 'pretty'.  The rider of a Rat says he has no need to try to impress anyone.  If anything breaks it is replaced with whatever fits, is cheap, and works.

Oh I must disagree with that.  I have met a few owners of rat bikes at rallies, etc.  They most definitely have a sense of humor.  

However, I believe that you also supported my point with "whatever fits, is cheap, and works".

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 07/23/05 at 06:19:30

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
In my case, yes: http://hellrisercustoms.com/vroom1776

It does look like cr*p.  We had a yard sale and the savage was out front.  I had quite a few offers for it (people thought I'd accidentally put an extra zero on there (the sign said $20,000)) and that was with the above paint job.

mmmm... ratbike

Frankly, that is a d@mned "nice" rat.

Well, actually this one never even went to school.  More likely the product of a fine Pilsner and little wacky weed  8)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #37 - 07/23/05 at 06:32:09

Even when I was pulling in $100 an hour with my shop, I rode rat/roach bikes. My customers trailered butt jewelry.

I changed the Savage livery (color) because I was bored, NOT because it "needed" it.

As far as I'm concerned, a bike is either a tool, or a toy. My tools are crusty, even my welder, but they all work fine. Nobody asks to borrow my tools, my trucks, my bikes, or my guns  (my gold inlaid Winchester is rusty, with a cracked stock and broken sight...works fine).

It ain't easy being fat and greasy.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #38 - 07/23/05 at 06:54:04

I have yet to pay for any of my cell phones.  And I only pay $10/month for three of the four phones (Cingular Family Plan.)

It is a matter of priority.  Sure, I could spend an extra $200 on a high quality chromed muffler/pipe.   Or I budget that $200 toward a school trip, or a cello for #2 daughter, or a trumpet for #3 daughter, or something else that is more important to me than a shiny bike with a shiny muffler.  

Most of us are on limited budgets, some more limited than others.   We have just so much money that we can budget toward non-necessities.  Chrome is not a necessity.  Nor is a clean bike.  Or a bike with matching paint.  Or a bike with a new saddle in lieu of duct tape.

The muffler replacement itself is not a necessity, the stock muffler works quite well.  I would like  a different sound, but I cannot justify it as a necessity and thus the muffler has to come out of the far smaller mad money pocket rather than the larger necessary expense pocket.    And it has to compete for that limited amount of money with other wants such as a new digital camera, DVD recorder, VW floorpans, etc..

Yes, and considering your age (close to mine), I am not surpirsed by your answer.  You have priorities that do not place expensive motorcycle parts at the top of the list.  They are displaced by DVD players, etc.  

On the other hand, this is where the simularity ends, as I just turned off our cell phones (Cingular sucks) and I have an inoperable DVD player that needs repair.  My opinion is gained more from a couple young adults (no longer dependents) in our family that cannot live without their first priority, a cell phone.

So, in your case, "I DON'T GET IT" applies to my Raask pipe, and I can accept that.  Especially, since your stock bike (the same as mine) is not modified in a strange, ugly and hacked manner.   That is what I don't get.

And your point was?

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #39 - 07/23/05 at 06:58:48

Paladin, some of your earlier comments echo thoughts that I've been pondering lately ... namely the whole necessities vs luxuries vs family budget dilema ...
First off, let me say that generally I am not a "materialistic" person by nature ... yes I live in the burbs and have a reasonably comfortable lower-middle class lifestyle, but I don't aspire to have all the latest widgets ... my LS650 is a toy ... one that I enjoy to be sure, but it is an expense that I do have to budget for ... it is my only real extravgence.
It seems that the burbs are the burbs no matter where they are ... too many of my neighbours are into "instant gratification" like the average 12-year old ... spending their hard-earned just for the sake of spending and accumulating more & more "stuff" ... I personally don't see the point of that lifestyle anymore ... and the cumulative affect that a "consumer driven" lifestyle is having on the planets finite natural resources is potentially disasterous ... I expressed these thoughts recently at a neighbourhood gathering where a few people were "going on" about their latest widget purchase, and the reaction I got was the same as if I had spouted some obsure passage from the Communist Manifesto ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #40 - 07/23/05 at 07:03:07

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Even when I was pulling in $100 an hour with my shop, I rode rat/roach bikes. My customers trailered butt jewelry.

I changed the Savage livery (color) because I was bored, NOT because it "needed" it.

As far as I'm concerned, a bike is either a tool, or a toy. My tools are crusty, even my welder, but they all work fine. Nobody asks to borrow my tools, my trucks, my bikes, or my guns  (my gold inlaid Winchester is rusty, with a cracked stock and broken sight...works fine).

It ain't easy being fat and greasy.
-WD

WD, that's fine too.  You have every right to be that way.  

However, considering all of those things, plus your statement that you are "Improving" my Savage since the day I got 'er,...", it has been quite apparent for a long time that you don't get it, either.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 07/23/05 at 07:26:36

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Paladin, some of your earlier comments echo thoughts that I've been pondering lately ... namely the whole necessities vs luxuries vs family budget dilema ...
First off, let me say that generally I am not a "materialistic" person by nature ... yes I live in the burbs and have a reasonably comfortable lower-middle class lifestyle, but I don't aspire to have all the latest widgets ... my LS650 is a toy ... one that I enjoy to be sure, but it is an expense that I do have to budget for ... it is my only real extravgence.
It seems that the burbs are the burbs no matter where they are ... too many of my neighbours are into "instant gratification" like the average 12-year old ... spending their hard-earned just for the sake of spending and accumulating more & more "stuff" ... I personally don't see the point of that lifestyle anymore ... and the cumulative affect that a "consumer driven" lifestyle is having on the planets finite natural resources is potentially disasterous ... I expressed these thoughts recently at a neighbourhood gathering where a few people were "going on" about their latest widget purchase, and the reaction I got was the same as if I had spouted some obsure passage from the Communist Manifesto ...

Ah Perry, somehow I managed to rattle your cage too Smiley  

My point is not about having to purchase every little widgit or technical goodie that hits the market.  To be like the Jones' and have the biggest, baddest and best, first.  I don't even have some of the fancy expensive saddle bags and bike accessories that even some of my critics possess.  

On the contrary, here I sit in a rented apartment because I have had some rough and stressful times...due, in large part, to my own mistakes and folly.  On the contrary, I do not have a lot of money, have to budget my resources and therefore have to have priorities too.

My point, concerning my lifelong love for motorcycles, the subject of this forum, and making modifications to both, is that if you are going to do anything to the Savage, then why not do it right?  

To be cliche, what I don't get is the "Just Do It" attitude.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #42 - 07/23/05 at 09:49:35

Yes, and considering your age (close to mine), I am not surpirsed by your answer.  You have priorities that do not place expensive motorcycle parts at the top of the list.  They are displaced by DVD players, etc.  

On the other hand, this is where the simularity ends, as I just turned off our cell phones (Cingular sucks) and I have an inoperable DVD player that needs repair.  My opinion is gained more from a couple young adults (no longer dependents) in our family that cannot live without their first priority, a cell phone.

Not DVD player, recorder.  For the computers.   And not for me, but for the family.  While we're about the same age, I did not marry and start my family until I was 40.  I have two teenage daughters still living in the house and a wife who recently turned 40.  When spending the mad money on non-essentials I can buy stuff for me alone or I can buy stuff that the whole family will use and enjoy.

The Cell Phones are a necessity.   Teenage girls and their parents, in ."Los Angeles especially, should be able to reach each other anytime anywhere.
Quote:
So, in your case, "I DON'T GET IT" applies to my Raask pipe, and I can accept that.  Especially, since your stock bike (the same as mine) is not modified in a strange, ugly and hacked manner.   That is what I don't get.

And your point was?

This is the part that irks me.  You pass judgement upon other people's tastes by calling what they do "strange, ugly and hacked"  Strange, maybe.  Hacked, maybe.  But not ugly.  Ugly is a matter of taste.  By calling other peoples' choices ugly you are disrespecting them.

My point is that what people are doing to their Savages is not ugly.  Not everyone shares your tastes in what is considered to be beautiful.  I personally think that a naturally evolved Rat bike is one of the most beautiful vehicles existant.  Eventually my Savage will evolve into a beautiful rat.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #43 - 07/23/05 at 10:04:08

Not DVD player, recorder.  For the computers.   And not for me, but for the family.  While we're about the same age, I did not marry and start my family until I was 40.  I have two teenage daughters still living in the house and a wife who recently turned 40.  When spending the mad money on non-essentials I can buy stuff for me alone or I can buy stuff that the whole family will use and enjoy.

The Cell Phones are a necessity.   Teenage girls and their parents, in ."Los Angeles especially, should be able to reach each other anytime anywhere.
This is the part that irks me.  You pass judgement upon other people's tastes by calling what they do "strange, ugly and hacked"  Strange, maybe.  Hacked, maybe.  But not ugly.  Ugly is a matter of taste.  By calling other peoples' choices ugly you are disrespecting them.

My point is that what people are doing to their Savages is not ugly.  Not everyone shares your tastes in what is considered to be beautiful.  I personally think that a naturally evolved Rat bike is one of the most beautiful vehicles existant.  Eventually my Savage will evolve into a beautiful rat.

Of course, but maybe you misunderstood my point...

I'm not really so critical of all the mods, I see.  I do think that a cute little bunny rabbit to replace my stock Savage logo will be an absolute must in the future.  My only hesitation is to whether it is compatible with the Color Rite clearcoat  Roll Eyes

BTW - to me, toilet paper is a necessity, and considering those chatting on a cell phone in the check out line....they got the phone on the wrong end.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #44 - 07/23/05 at 10:10:28

....My point, concerning my lifelong love for motorcycles, the subject of this forum, and making modifications to both, is that if you are going to do anything to the Savage, then why not do it right?  ....

They are doing it RIGHT!  Right for them.  If you sent me a Raask for free I would NOT put it on my bike.  It is not at all right for me.  I want mellow, not loud and raspy.

lcs151 is looking for loud and cheap.   A straight pipe with a inserted baffle will work.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 14:21:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LOUD

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.