Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
LOUD (Read 25 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: LOUD
Reply #15 - 07/22/05 at 10:53:16

I've got a glass pack that I will be putting on there shortly.  I also have a big thumbscrew to put in the end so I can get some back pressure.  Not so sure how loud it's gonna be.  Will keep folks posted when I get around to it..

K

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 07/22/05 at 11:08:30

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I've got a glass pack that I will be putting on there shortly.  I also have a big thumbscrew to put in the end so I can get some back pressure.  Not so sure how loud it's gonna be.  Will keep folks posted when I get around to it..

K

A glass pack and thumb screw?  Have we been shopping at Walmart again?

Look, I'm not trying to be an a$$, but I gotta say what I think.  Some of the mods that I read about in this forum are beginning to explain why almost all the Savages on eBay look like crap.  People screw them up, and when it's useless as a trade for another bike, they hope to sell them online where no one can really see them.

I know that the Savage is inexpensive and normally considered a beginner's bike, but do people really want them to look like a project in a high school shop class?

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 07/22/05 at 11:53:55

i really hate to bicker with you about this as 1) i appreciate your efforts in having this place here. 2) although i'm stubborn you do make a good point.
however this is a discussion board after all and i like to discuss things  Grin

so here goes
Quote:
I know that the Savage is inexpensive and normally considered a beginner's bike, but do people really want them to look like a project in a high school shop class?

Isn't that the point. Most people here are beginners, just like the guys in a high school shop class. We all dont have years and years of experience or loads of money. I do pretty well and make a decent living i also spend alot and i'm sure i could manage and spend more on my bike however the $150 i spend on my cellphones for me and my wife considering i dont own a home phone is definetly not going to be not paid for a month not to mention cancel fees and reinstatement fees etc  Grin or what was it eat at mickey Ds i dont see how that is going to make a difference. anyway people are experimenting because they are beginners they are trieng new things and playing around and sure they might mess it up and it might look like a high school shop project but the high school shop kids were starting out and weren't going to build the most high tech out there on the first try i'm sure some of those kids learned alot and now are some of the people who make amazing things as you mentioned earlier the OCC i'm sure when they started they did little rinky dinky things. and little half a$$ mods. i agree with you, they are half a$$ but thats the point we are learning and with experience we will be able to make or do better nicer things. Take the seat mod for example what kinda rinky dink thing was that a $7 fix for numb butt. but hey we are learning and it works great. But i guess in your opinion everyone should turn of their cellphones and eat mcdonalds and buy a $400 seat cus the $7 fix is half a$$ ?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 07/22/05 at 12:00:26

I have to say that I tried out a shorty glass pack from JCW on mine for a few weeks and it worked surprisingly well.  It's just the quality of the chrome that is lacking.  Personally, I am experimenting to get the sound I want from mine.  I may wind up eventually using the Raask for the reasons Greg outlined earlier but I am really trying to get a deeper sound and less of the brrraaap quality (if that makes sense).  So far, I am still using my MAC but will also experiment with a Sporster muffler still looking for the sound I'd like.  Maybe I won't find it.  I don't know yet.  In truth, the glass pack had the overall best sound of those I've tried so far.  But that's my goal - a deeper and richer sound... Certainly not louder; the MAC is loud enough.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #19 - 07/22/05 at 12:05:16

I don't trade my bikes -- I ride them into the ground.  My DT175 was so ratty after 12 years that I could go into the resturant and leave the key sitting in the ignition.

Some of us cannot afford to simply go out and buy what we want -- especially something like a $285 exhaust system.  But we can manage to set aside $30 for a small standard automotive glasspack muffler.  You find a tailpipe that will slide into the muffler.  You have it inserted minimally for maximum muffling.  You insert it further to block off the perforations, effectively shortening the length of the muffler, to make the exhaust louder -- it becomes tunable for loudness.  Since the motorcycle requires some back pressure for maximum low end torque you can weld a fender washer to a screw mounted inside the tailpipe to make an adjustable butterfly valve -- open for minimal back pressure, partially closed for whatever back pressure produces the best power.  The muffler is now tuneable for both peak torque and desired loudness.  As far as I know this is not available over the counter for $50.

The Savages I see on E-Bay are mostly stock with a few with an engineered for the bike aftermarket accessories.

While some people may consider the Savage a "beginner's bike" knowledgable people realize that the Savage is an excelent choice for an experienced rider who does not have a need to try to impress others.

High School Shop Classes do extremely GOOD work as they are graded on it.  My eldest had her car repaired by a shop class and they did an excelent job.

The nice thing about the Savage, and motorcycles in general, is that you can still have a bike that reflects YOU.   You can have a rich man's toy, or someone's sole means of reliable transportation.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 07/22/05 at 12:28:44

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
High School Shop Classes do extremely GOOD work as they are graded on it.  My eldest had her car repaired by a shop class and they did an excelent job.

Maybe my popularity is in a downward spiral today, but I've had moments of diminished popularity before and I eventually managed to kiss my way back up.  However, I'm not puckering yet...

I suppose that I was being slightly unfair with this comparison.  What I meant to say was an Unsupervised High School Shop class.  Sorry.  You are right, and my comparison with Bill Cosby's "Bullet in the Furnace" routine is inappropriate.  If they are being graded and they really do care then the students will most likely be more inclined towards a job well done.  

What's the real difference?  The students are listening to someone else before they pick up a hammer and start beating on something.  And if it involves money, then dear old mom and dad at home are doing the funding....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 07/22/05 at 12:38:25

So what we are saying is that all this experimentation, tinkering, and modifying of our Savages by beginning riders is kinda like buying a Hyundai and hanging fringe and dingle balls around the windows when what we really want is window tinting?

So, there really IS a reason that most used Savages for sale look like crap.  Got it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 07/22/05 at 12:46:58

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
The nice thing about the Savage, and motorcycles in general, is that you can still have a bike that reflects YOU.  

I almost missed this....

If that is what you really want to say about the Savage, then considering some of the "mods" I'm reading about....well, what does that mean?

What does this bike reflect about the rider?  Definitely a sense of humor....Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 07/22/05 at 13:09:27

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
i really hate to bicker with you about this as 1) i appreciate your efforts in having this place here. 2) although i'm stubborn you do make a good point.
however this is a discussion board after all and i like to discuss things  Grin

so here goes

Isn't that the point. Most people here are beginners, just like the guys in a high school shop class. We all dont have years and years of experience or loads of money. I do pretty well and make a decent living i also spend alot and i'm sure i could manage and spend more on my bike however the $150 i spend on my cellphones for me and my wife considering i dont own a home phone is definetly not going to be not paid for a month not to mention cancel fees and reinstatement fees etc  Grin or what was it eat at mickey Ds i dont see how that is going to make a difference. anyway people are experimenting because they are beginners they are trieng new things and playing around and sure they might mess it up and it might look like a high school shop project but the high school shop kids were starting out and weren't going to build the most high tech out there on the first try i'm sure some of those kids learned alot and now are some of the people who make amazing things as you mentioned earlier the OCC i'm sure when they started they did little rinky dinky things. and little half a$$ mods. i agree with you, they are half a$$ but thats the point we are learning and with experience we will be able to make or do better nicer things. Take the seat mod for example what kinda rinky dink thing was that a $7 fix for numb butt. but hey we are learning and it works great. But i guess in your opinion everyone should turn of their cellphones and eat mcdonalds and buy a $400 seat cus the $7 fix is half a$$ ?

My comment about the phone doesn't really involve using lots of excess minutes with all those important calls that people have while boring eveyone else in a check out line....Smiley

What I meant, is this....while everyone is talking about being poor, broke, not enough money, etc.  People will probably buy a cell phone that costs as much as a proper exhaust for their bike simply because it has some new bell or whistle.  Right?  Gotta have a phone that is only 199.99 with a built in camera, but when they go to customize their bike, they can't afford over $35.

And what really takes it to a higher level, is they know the phone will be obsolete in a year and since they may have to renew a contract anyway, they'll probably just buy a new one.  Much more important than a muffler that will last 15-20 years?

It's all a matter of priorities....people either have the money, can save the money, or know how to get the money, and they can afford a new exhaust without filing for bankruptcy, selling their children or pimping their spouse.  

I guess that I don't understand...

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 07/22/05 at 13:32:30

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I have to say that I tried out a shorty glass pack from JCW on mine for a few weeks and it worked surprisingly well.  It's just the quality of the chrome that is lacking.  Personally, I am experimenting to get the sound I want from mine.  I may wind up eventually using the Raask for the reasons Greg outlined earlier but I am really trying to get a deeper sound and less of the brrraaap quality (if that makes sense).  So far, I am still using my MAC but will also experiment with a Sporster muffler still looking for the sound I'd like.  Maybe I won't find it.  I don't know yet.  In truth, the glass pack had the overall best sound of those I've tried so far.  But that's my goal - a deeper and richer sound... Certainly not louder; the MAC is loud enough.

Maybe it is my hearing but I thought your Mac sounded very much like the Trapp.  In truth, I like the sound of the Trapp and Mac better than my Raask...for the reason you mentioned.  They have a really nice thumper tone.  It is the performance and "fit and finsih" of the Raask that is unsurpassed by any of them.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 07/22/05 at 13:40:20

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Maybe it is my hearing but I thought your Mac sounded very much like the Trapp.  In truth, I like the sound of the Trapp and Mac better than my Raask...for the reason you mentioned.  They have a really nice thumper tone.  It is the performance and "fit and finsih" of the Raask that is unsurpassed by any of them.

I have to agree on all counts.  I envy the quality and performance of the Raask and prefer the sound of the MAC.  However, I still don't have the sound I want.  Maybe I never will.  If I exhaust (pun intended) all reasonable resources in the quest, I'll likely defer to the quality and performance of the Raask.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 07/22/05 at 13:51:49

I have to agree on all counts.  I envy the quality and performance of the Raask and prefer the sound of the MAC.  However, I still don't have the sound I want.  Maybe I never will.  If I exhaust (pun intended) all reasonable resources in the quest, I'll likely defer to the quality and performance of the Raask.

You know....the engine has the same displacement, same intake and exhaust, the same valves, and the same cam timing.  There are probably only so many variations possible for getting different sound.

How about making it ultra quiet without the pops and backfires and with tons of performance too?  That would be different.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #27 - 07/22/05 at 15:42:24

I almost missed this....

If that is what you really want to say about the Savage, then considering some of the "mods" I'm reading about....well, what does that mean?

What does this bike reflect about the rider?  Definitely a sense of humor....Smiley
http://ratbike.org/photos/show05/00_drdeath2.jpg
I don't understand.   What is humorous about a Rat Bike?  A Rat is a bike which does not waste money on being 'pretty'.  The rider of a Rat says he has no need to try to impress anyone.  If anything breaks it is replaced with whatever fits, is cheap, and works.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #28 - 07/22/05 at 15:53:02

The sound I want I had on my '67 Spitfire.  The mufflers needed replacing so I took it to the local muffler shop and had a 36" glasspack replace the muffler and a 12" glasspack replace the resonator.  48" of straight thru muffler on a 1300cc 4-cylinder mill.  The sound was low in pitch, low in volume, very very mellow.    I figure a 36" glasspack on the Savage will be quite quiet.  With the option of sliding a trombone in to reduce that to 12" or so if I wish to join Harleys on a group ride.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #29 - 07/22/05 at 16:18:05

In my case, yes: http://hellrisercustoms.com/vroom1776

It does look like cr*p.  We had a yard sale and the savage was out front.  I had quite a few offers for it (people thought I'd accidentally put an extra zero on there (the sign said $20,000)) and that was with the above paint job.

mmmm... ratbike

Frankly, that is a d@mned "nice" rat.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 14:32:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LOUD

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.