Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Ideas for Next Group Ride (Read 5 times)
Karen627
Ex Member

Re: Ideas for Next Group Ride
Reply #15 - 07/14/05 at 01:24:24

Deb, if the Tail of the Dragon ride happens, I don't think it's that far from you.  It's a stretch of US 129 at the TN/NC state line -- might be about an hour and a half away from Knoxville, if even that far...?

Of course, not far from the TotD is the Cherohala Skyway, if anyone's interested in doing that along with/instead of the TotD?  That looks like a really pretty ride.

IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #16 - 07/14/05 at 09:37:32

Karen,

I am no expert either. I am a little intimidated about the Tail as well, but I heard it was a BLAST from my brother (he rides a 2004 Suz Volusia). I would love ANY ride ANYWHERE. Maybe we could meet up one day and ride. Just let me know.

--Mark

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 07/14/05 at 16:05:04

Karen627 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Lancer, you're only about an hour away from my aunt.  She's in Batesburg-Leesville.  

All right, ya know what?  I'm starting to think that I'm always going to be intimidated by the Tail of the Dragon -- that is, until I actually ride it for myself.  So I may very well take a whack at it, if the GA/SC group ride comes together and that's where folks want to go.  

One last question about the TotD -- am I guaranteed to scrape the footpegs on those curves, or do I have to take the curves pretty hard to do that?  (I've only done it once so far, in a really tight u-turn -- by accident.  Roll Eyes )

I'd probably want to make it an overnight thing at least, in case I find I'm not up for riding all those miles in one day (to the Dragon, riding the Dragon, and then back home from aforementioned Dragon).  This is because I'm a newbie and a wuss.  Roll Eyes

Hmm.  Labor Day is September 5th.  So how about the following weekend?   Maybe around Saturday the 10th?  (Can't do Labor Day weekend at all -- that's my wedding anniversary.  Hubby'd be miserable.)

I like the idea of the week after Labor day.
Let's see if we can get some traction on this with the others in the area.  With this being within riding range of parts of 3 states it should be a lot of fun.

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 07/14/05 at 17:28:38

I know there are a couple of us in Alabama...I'm near Birmingham, and I know Slopoke lives down near Montgomery.  There must be others in the area too.  I could see us meeting the GA folks, but it'd HAVE to be an overnight for me to make the TotD ride.   There are a few folks up in TN too, though not sure where.  How about a meeting in Chattanooga?  I'm looking for a relatively central location where several of us could all meet.  What say you?

Tom

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 07/14/05 at 19:45:11

gandalph40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I know there are a couple of us in Alabama...I'm near Birmingham, and I know Slopoke lives down near Montgomery.  There must be others in the area too.  I could see us meeting the GA folks, but it'd HAVE to be an overnight for me to make the TotD ride.   There are a few folks up in TN too, though not sure where.  How about a meeting in Chattanooga?  I'm looking for a relatively central location where several of us could all meet.  What say you?

Tom

Hmm.  If everyone near there does attend, we'll have people from Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee.  So we'll be coming from all directions surrounding the TotD.  Perhaps the most central location is near the TotD itself?  I'd also be making it an overnight trip (I might make a weekend out of it, in fact).  Perhaps once we each know where we're staying, we can figure out a meeting place from there?  

And what are everyone's thoughts on TotD/Cherohala Skyway loop?  The Cherohala's not far from there -- it's 36 miles long, over a mountain -- beautiful scenery, with places to pull over for pictures, etc.  

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_loop.html

If you guys want to do the loop, perhaps Robbinsville, NC might be a good place to meet?  (I'm being a safety geek here -- since we haven't ridden together before, I'm thinking it's easier to ride together if we get pretty close to the destination on our own first, at our own respective paces.)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 07/15/05 at 08:17:37

marke2571 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Great idea. I'm in the southeast, and I know that other people in Georgia have Savages, 'cause I've seem 'em. Are they members??? Anybody here from GA?

If so, I would love to do the Dragon's Tail (300+ curves in 11 miles) on the Savage or anywhere in the middle Georgia area would be great too.

--Mark

The Tail of the Dragon is a great ride...we did it 2 years ago.  However, if I could offer a word of advice, don't choose a day that is a major holiday.  On days like that it is a mad house....check this picture.

This is Deals Gap which is on the NC side of the Tail.  As you can see it is packed.  On Memorial Day everyone with a sports car or a sport bike will be there, and trust me, no matter how well you ride, you will be too slow for them.  Someone will be riding up your butt constantly...or passing you in your lane...or in blind curves.  It is a total mad house with sport bikes actually teasing the cops into chasing them.  Why?  Because it is 11 miles with no side roads or intersections, and the only time your bike is vertical is between left and right turns....just what Mr. Joe Rocket wants  Tongue

When we rode it, I happened to notice that my normal speed was a mere 35 mph through most curves and I was often dragging my pegs Smiley  However, the sport bikes were dragging their knees at nearly twice that speed and passing us.  It was like finding ourselves in the middle of a super bike race.  Here is where a lot of the bikes end up too.....so pick an off weekend and have fun.

IP Logged
gandalph40
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 07/15/05 at 09:04:56

I'd say that those that are closest to TotD should pick a day that they want to ride it (heeding Greg's advice) and announce a date.  Then those of us that are near enough to attend will arrange to show up.

Tom

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 07/15/05 at 09:10:14

Hey Sluggo, Max, WD and Chris!  How about a ride to Mt. Rainier on Labor Day weekend?  

I'm thinking about a meet and greet on Sunday around 12:00.  We'll make a weekend out of it.  Ride up on Sat.  Meet on Sunday.  Ride back on Monday....

How about the Sunrise area?  This is where you can find us.

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 07/15/05 at 10:09:08

Okay -- so far, it seems it's Mark (who came up with the Dragon idea -- look what you started! Wink ), Lancer, me and Gandalph riding (or at least attempting to ride) the Tail of the Dragon.  Smiley

Deb, if you'd be up for it, you might actually be closest to the Dragon -- one end of it is in eastern Tennessee, the other end in western North Carolina.  

Lancer, I know you said the week after Labor Day worked for you.  How's Saturday, September 10th sound to everyone (including anyone else who wants to join in)?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 07/15/05 at 12:22:05

Let's do hold the 10th of Sep as the tentative date and see how this starts to gel.  If a problem begins to develope (like another hurricane perhaps) then we can fine tune it down the road a bit.
I don't know about the rest of you but I am feeling ready to go already.

IP Logged
Karen627
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 07/15/05 at 12:45:52

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I don't know about the rest of you but I am feeling ready to go already.

If I told you how much time I've spent on the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway websites in the past couple of days...  Roll Eyes  Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #26 - 07/15/05 at 15:03:10

Since we're talking twisty roads I'll match by taking a ride on the Angles Crest Highway.  Will meet with anyone who wishes to join me at a coffee shop in the morning in La Canada.

WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #27 - 07/15/05 at 20:36:56

Angel Crest highway looks cools. But it depends on what day we going to this. Is there crazy rocket-riders on that day too? Okay, I heard that on every Sunday, lots of want-to-be racer hotdogging on these twisty roads Shocked

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #28 - 07/16/05 at 06:40:30

It will be a Saturday and any idiots exceeding the speed limits on their imitation race bikes only impress me as to the degree of stupidity that exists in the world.  They only have minor entertainment value and are easy to ignore.

In 40 years in SoCal I have yet to ride/drive the Crest.  It will be a new experience for me and I intend to mosey along enjoying the scenery.   I am capable of slowing down to run at another's pace.  No one and nothing can make me go faster than I wish.  The mule is an admirable animal.

My tenative plan is breakfast in La Canada at a suitable cafe that serves eggs/sausage/etc. with a pot of coffee and ceramic cups -- I don't do styrofoam.  Start the run 9:30-10am.  A leisurely ride along SR2/SR138 to Cajon Junction, about 2.5 hours according to Yahoo Maps, add in a photo stop or two, and it will be a late 1pm lunch before heading back home along Cajon Blvd/Devore Rd and haven't looked further.

WWW   IP Logged
marke2571
2004 No Login

Free Spec Ops
Cody!!!!

Georgia
Reply #29 - 07/17/05 at 18:32:06

Well, guys, due to some fine date choosing by Uncle Sam, I will not be able to plan a 'tail ride with you until after the 22nd of sept. So Karen, If I started this and cant go, you will take some good pics for me right?

--Mark

'02 Silver Savage
Macon, Ga.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 16:59:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ideas for Next Group Ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!