With two on the
ground love can be
found

Tulsa Oklahoma Area
Re: K&N air filter...
Reply #45 - 04/28/05 at 15:48:04

Red_Wine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Git,

It has never been friendlier here than right now.

I think we can talk about everything we want here, provided there is respect for each other; I can't share a brew with most of you, but whenever I stop by here, my mood is exactly that one: a friendly chat, sometimes passionate, yeah, around a few beers at my favorite bar...

Ride safe, man

RW

Wish we could bro 8) 8)

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #46 - 04/28/05 at 15:50:14

Red_Wine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
What kind of cautions should I take to put a K&N filter on my 1990, 400cc Savage?
Rejetting? just increase the mix?

Thanks.

RW

Maybe the mix a little - but if the air flows better it'll be the main jet that can't keep up - do you know what came in the 400?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #47 - 04/28/05 at 16:36:33

One of the changes made on my '02 over the winter was installing a stock type K+N air filter and rejetting to a 152.5 main. In a fit insanity I drilled about 60 1/4 inch holes in the airbox door, (got bored, drank some beer, attacked the bike), seemed to really help with the airflow to the carb. Could of removed the door completely but it was more fun laying into the door with the drill  Grin. Must of worked, just got back from a ride where I hit 70mph in third gear, aroung 5500 rpm. Couldn't get anywhere close to that when everything was stock. Had to stay out of the politics earlier, tend to either put my foot in my mouth or try to put it up somebody's butt.  Ride Safe, Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #48 - 04/29/05 at 05:28:15

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
One of the changes made on my '02 over the winter was installing a stock type K+N air filter and rejetting to a 152.5 main. In a fit insanity I drilled about 60 1/4 inch holes in the airbox door, (got bored, drank some beer, attacked the bike), seemed to really help with the airflow to the carb. Could of removed the door completely but it was more fun laying into the door with the drill  Grin. Must of worked, just got back from a ride where I hit 70mph in third gear, aroung 5500 rpm. Couldn't get anywhere close to that when everything was stock. Had to stay out of the politics earlier, tend to either put my foot in my mouth or try to put it up somebody's butt.  Ride Safe, Ed L.

Attacked the airbox door?  Too much!   Grin

You can also pull the rubber boot out of the airbox intake if more airflow is what you want....oh but wait, only attempt this procedure with a 6 pack in the toolbox  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #49 - 05/02/05 at 08:04:01

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Maybe the mix a little - but if the air flows better it'll be the main jet that can't keep up - do you know what came in the 400?

Not sure what's in there, since I have not disassembled the carb yet... so far the bike runs OK, but I have only installed a Sportster muffler, no carb work, no more air flow needed, I guess... maybe the colder, thicker air in the cold season is helping... don't know.

I'll keep you posted on any news. pics of my Savage are on the way (finally...)

Take care,

RW

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #50 - 05/02/05 at 18:45:32

RW, you might be ok with the jetting on your bike. The 400cc Savage was produced before Suzuki tuned the bikes on the lean side for emission control. Are you getting any backfires when backing off on the throttle, if you are then the carb is too lean. If not, then the carb should be close to where it should be. Ed L.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #51 - 05/03/05 at 06:04:44

My Dear Ed,

I'm just getting a small, dull "puf" when I kill the engine with the switch, no backfires when accelerating or slowing down  Smiley

The bike pulls hard, even in high gears,  8) so I'm a happy Savager  Grin I guess I'll leave the carb alone until any problems arise.

I do blow some blueish smoke out the back ( Grin go figure that), specially when I release the throttle after hard acceleration or when I rev the engine up at a stoplight.  Should I prepare for a new set of valve guides or cylinder rings? What's your opinion?

Greg told me it should be valve guides, but I'd like a second opinion on this. Roll Eyes

BTW, your muffler was installed about 3 weeks ago, pics on the way; it looks and works great, though a little quiet for me.

Take care, pal

RW

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #52 - 05/03/05 at 14:02:47

Greg told me it should be valve guides, but I'd like a second opinion on this.  

Well here it is:

Sounds more like the valvestem seals to me.

Remember the piston is sucking a lot of air in the engine through the closed throttle valve. Air must come from somwher so it sucks along the valve stems.

Hope I described this clearly

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #53 - 05/03/05 at 15:25:30

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Greg told me it should be valve guides, but I'd like a second opinion on this.  

Well here it is:

Sounds more like the valvestem seals to me.

Remember the piston is sucking a lot of air in the engine through the closed throttle valve. Air must come from somwher so it sucks along the valve stems.

Hope I described this clearly

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Well, "actually" I was thinking either/or the valve guides or the seals or even both for the exact reason you explained.  

The "closed throttle sucking air" is the reason but don't forget that the air being sucked contains oil which burns...and you have smoke.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #54 - 05/03/05 at 15:30:17

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Well, "actually" I was thinking either/or the valve guides or the seals or even both for the exact reason you explained.  

The "closed throttle sucking air" is the reason but don't forget that the air being sucked contains oil which burns...and you have smoke.

As always, my explanation is always the short version. Embarrassed
Thanks for the more comprehensive version.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #55 - 05/03/05 at 16:26:08

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
As always, my explanation is always the short version. Embarrassed
Thanks for the more comprehensive version.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Not really, old chap.  I was just glad to hear a second opinion that agreed with mine for a change.  Sometimes it's just plain lonely being right, you know  Tongue

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #56 - 05/04/05 at 09:49:37

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Not really, old chap.  I was just glad to hear a second opinion that agreed with mine for a change.  Sometimes it's just plain lonely being right, you know  Tongue

Nope buddy, you're not alone....  Roll Eyes

And, well, I'll but the parts by the end of the month....

Thanks,

RW

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #57 - 05/04/05 at 16:33:52

Got to agree with everybody else, either seals or guides, probably both need attention. Might be worth it to drop in new valves while you are at it. Depends on the wear on them and you budget. Glad to hear the sporty muffler worked out. Ed L.

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #58 - 05/05/05 at 10:34:12

Budget is tight, so I'll open it up first, then take whatever pain I need to.  :'(

I'm riding without proper papers, so I'm taking chances everyday..   Shocked

I'll keep you posted....

RW

IP Logged
Setral
2005 No Login

Ressurection

KC Missouri
Reply #59 - 05/05/05 at 11:37:27

question again on the air filter.

how different is the airbox on the 86-88 vs the 1995-2005 models, since there is no air filter I can find, except the OEM filter for the airbox?

http://www.bikepics.com/members/setral/87savage/
100% Stock, needs a little work and another bath
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 20:32:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › K&N air filter...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.