Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Welding question. (Read 13 times)
Lee
Ex Member

Re: Welding question.
Reply #30 - 03/13/05 at 16:18:42

We never used gas to weld, just cut.  I never learned to gas weld.   [/quote]

It's been a long time since I learned to gas weld.  If I had the room for a gas rig I'd have one for sure.  There's really something magical about working the torch and watching the metal become liquid under your flame.

Lee

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 03/18/05 at 07:23:45

lee wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:

We never used gas to weld, just cut.  I never learned to gas weld.  It's been a long time since I learned to gas weld.  If I had the room for a gas rig I'd have one for sure.  There's really something magical about working the torch and watching the metal become liquid under your flame.

Lee

Yeah, it is magic.  I got my very first lesson in gas welding by not wearing a long sleeve shirt.  I had never dreamed how much "sunburn" I could get on the underside of my forearms.  Ouch.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #32 - 03/18/05 at 08:24:19

Getting a large piece of red hot slag in a shoe has always been my favorite, lost count of how many time I've done a "rain dance" while welding.  Grin. You would think that I would of learned to wear lace up work boots instead of low top sneakers. Even with the ocasional burnt flesh I still love welding with a torch.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #33 - 03/18/05 at 08:40:04

Several things you learn quickly, like...

...never keep a book of matches in your shirt pocket, even when you are wearing leathers (got a singed nipple once myself)...

...if you must carry a lighter, carry a zippo - not a plastic disposable (heard horror stories on this one but never actually saw it myself)...

...you will go though levis quickly as the spatter collects in the edges of the cuff and slowly eats small holes which fray in the wash and really flame later on.  You get to recognize the feeling of slightly warm wind coming up your pants leg and get to where you just pat it down with one hand while you continue welding...

(most of this was in arc welding though)

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 03/18/05 at 10:02:43

Flash burned eyes ain't no fun either  Shocked

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #35 - 03/18/05 at 22:41:03

That's a true story.  You wake up the next morning feeling like someone poured hot sand in 'em.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #36 - 03/19/05 at 00:44:41

My wife bought me a Campbell Hausfeld flux-core wire feed welder back in 98 or 99.  I like it, it's great for doing sheet metal work. Anything over 3/16" stock is pushing it though.

I can't stick or gas weld. But turn me loose in a smithy...I love forge welding. There is something almost magical about taking a worn out HD primary chain or saw chain and turning it into a Damascus knife blade.

You can get decent 110 flux/mig/stixk rigs at Wal-mart, Sears, etc. Remember they aren't for big jobs and you'll be fine. Any "real" welding, I'll take to an FAA or USCG approved shop. My life is worth more to me than "saving" a couple bucks and attempting to do it myself.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 09:26:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Welding question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.