Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Welding question. (Read 13 times)
Lee
Ex Member

Re: Welding question.
Reply #15 - 03/08/05 at 19:54:29

A word of caution about the MAPP rig:  Take a close look at the cost of the oxygen tanks.  They are the weak link in the concept.  Bottom line is they just don't last very long -- ten, fifteen minutes at most with a welding flame, if you're fast and efficient -- a little longer with a brazing or soldering flame.  You'll spend a small fortune in oxygen just learning to weld with a MAPP unit.

Lee

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 03/11/05 at 11:57:59

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
man, i just scared the shi Shockedt out of myself.

went out to the shop  dusted off the oxy/act tanks.
opened them up, lit the torch. thing was leaking had fire coming out all the connections threw it to the floor, it lands on some rags. starts them on fire. i run back to the tanks shut em off then went and stomped out the rags.  that was about 15 minutes ago and my heart is still pounding.  

Really cool, Dude....the bad part is that I've done it too (without torching the rag pile though).  Yep, gotta check those fitting from time to time  Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 03/11/05 at 12:00:07

Nightrain wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
One of the very best pieces of eqipment for your shop should be a good fire extinguisher. Don't wait untill you are involved in a serious fire to learn this the hard way. take it from me and dont make the same mistake I did. They only cost about $25 and are availble almost anywhere.

Good idea.  And also buy a good extinguisher.  The last one that I had, went dead without ever being used.  Go figure.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 03/11/05 at 12:19:16

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I wanna learn how to weld.  Nothing big.  Nothing much.   Just want to widen my horizons a little before I die.  Someday.  Long off.  I hope.

I don't really want to do major stuff, maybe enough to weld a tab on the bike, braze jewelry, artsy stuff.

What do any of you that weld think about a very light duty MAPP gas welder like this:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=98894-000000717-OX2550
Is that enough to actually DO anything, at least on a light duty, learning level?  I don't want to sink a lot of $$ into it at this point, but just want mess around. For now.

FWIW:
My Grandad was a master welder.  This guy had several welding kits including one that was powered by a generator turned by a 56 Chevy 6 cyl engine on a trailer.  He could weld anything.  He worked for Mack Truck.  I met some  of his coworkers in the 70's. They all said he was the best welder ever.  So he must have impressed somebody.

I doubt if there's a welding gene, but I want to give it a go.  GPop's old welding stuff was scattered to cousins an brothers who by now, 25 years sold it for beer money or forgot where it came from and gave it all away.

If you want to go gas welding, go with oxy/acetylene.  Skip the Mapp gas.  Not hot enough.  It'll give the flexibility of cutting, bending, soldering and brazing and the use of old coat hangers for welding too (yep, I read that)...Stick is probably the cheapest way to get into regular welding, but I'm too anal for it cause I can't seem to coordinate the "feed" with the speed and the heat.  I am just plain messy.  I personally give it the name; Stick Welding.  

I can Mig.  It is the cleanest welding, but then you have to deal with sharpening the tungsten electrode and a foot pedal.  In a way, it's almost like soldering.  Now, if all you want to do is welding, get a Tig welder.  You still can have splatter like with a stick, but it is more just a point and shoot thing....

Plus, have you ever tried one of those auto darkening face shields?  Awesome and amazing.  The thing darkens as soon as the flash starts.  You don't see it al all.  No more flipping it up and down.

Oh yeah, since Harbor Freight was mentioned, I just had a box of tools delivered to my door.  They carry the auto darkening shields there too.

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/11/05 at 13:10:03

I always thought that TIG has the footpedal and is more like soldering. MIG has no footpedal, is a wirefeed controlled by a trigger. And Stick is also called arc welding with no feed just a stationary stick that burns down as you go? Correct me if I am wrong  ???

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 03/11/05 at 13:32:22

Here's the way I remember it.... and someone please correct me if I am wrong here.  MIG, TIG and stick are all forms of arc welding. MIG is Metal Inert Gas and uses a wire-feed gun with a shielding gas such as carbon-dioxide or argon.  The wire is the filler metal and the arc is between the work and the wire.  TIG is Tungsten Inert Gas and uses a similar setup but the arc is between the work and a tungsten rod.  The rod is not the filler metal though.  A separate filler metal is used.  Sometimes it's a handheld rod (the method I've used); this is very similar to gas welding in practice.  Other times it may be a powdered metal that is dropped into the flow (usually in automated welders).  An inert gas is also used for shielding the molten metals from oxygen.  Both MIG and TIG use triggers but those may be finger or pedal actuated but it is most common to see pedals used in TIG.  Stick is what most people think of when the think of welding.  A rod with a coating that burns to create the shielding gas is used for the filler metal and the arc is between it and the work.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/11/05 at 13:39:04

Yup  Grin. That is how I remember it too. I always wanted to sneak out in the middle of the night and weld my neighbors car doors shut.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 03/11/05 at 13:44:32

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Here's the way I remember it.... and someone please correct me if I am wrong here.  MIG, TIG and stick are all forms of arc welding. MIG is Metal Inert Gas and uses a wire-feed gun with a shielding gas such as carbon-dioxide or argon.  The wire is the filler metal and the arc is between the work and the wire.  TIG is Tungsten Inert Gas and uses a similar setup but the arc is between the work and a tungsten rod.  The rod is not the filler metal though.  A separate filler metal is used.  Sometimes it's a handheld rod (the method I've used); this is very similar to gas welding in practice.  Other times it may be a powdered metal that is dropped into the flow (usually in automated welders).  An inert gas is also used for shielding the molten metals from oxygen.  Both MIG and TIG use triggers but those may be finger or pedal actuated but it is most common to see pedals used in TIG.  Stick is what most people think of when the think of welding.  A rod with a coating that burns to create the shielding gas is used for the filler metal and the arc is between it and the work.

I sit corrected...I had them backwards.  You are right.  BF.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 03/11/05 at 13:48:49

Nightrain wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I always thought that TIG has the footpedal and is more like soldering. MIG has no footpedal, is a wirefeed controlled by a trigger. And Stick is also called arc welding with no feed just a stationary stick that burns down as you go? Correct me if I am wrong  ???

Yeah, it's that stationary stick that no matter how I try it, I can't "feed" it.  Which I mean to say, I can't control it.  You know, as it burns, it gets shorter, so you go closer, and all the while you are moving along.  Not me.  No coordination in MY "feed".

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #24 - 03/11/05 at 18:27:04

So what can I get for $50?

Grin

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #25 - 03/11/05 at 20:41:59

The welding equivalent of a MoPed, when you are looking for the performance of a Savage.

I figure you have two options for that $50 -- get the little set and putter around....

or...

Sign up for a welding class, learn what's involved, what each rig is good for, how to use, tricks of the trade, etc..  Then, once you know what you want and what is required to satisfy that want, buy a small gas or arc welder.  

After reading this thread I think I'll be signing up for a class this summer.

time for me to quit puttering around and learn what I am doing

WWW   IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #26 - 03/11/05 at 20:49:16

I'll do both.  
I'll d¡ck around with with the MAPP for awhile.  It should make a butt kickin soldering torch at any rate.

I'll make a few bikes out of nuts and bolts, etc.  Miniatures to give away.

Then I'll find a class if I want to go further.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 03/12/05 at 07:05:51

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I'll do both.  
I'll d¡ck around with with the MAPP for awhile.  It should make a butt kickin soldering torch at any rate.

I'll make a few bikes out of nuts and bolts, etc.  Miniatures to give away.

Then I'll find a class if I want to go further.

You meant "I'll 'Limp Phallus" around with with the MAPP for awhile."  Right?

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #28 - 03/12/05 at 07:32:31

Think of it as a beginner bike...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
bobo383
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Neck=Red

Arlington, TX
Reply #29 - 03/13/05 at 07:17:06

Hit the pawn shops and see what they've got for around a hundred bucks.  You rarely need any more than 90 amps, but get a 240 volt unit so it stays relatively cool.  The 110 volt units are ok but will have problems if you use them longer than 30 minutes or so (at a time).  I have a 240volt/230 amp Century stick welder right now, but it stays at 70 amps most of the time.  It's my Dad's, he'll want it back someday, but he's a school superintendant now in a small East Texas town and they have FFA!  He won't have to touch a welder for a long time.  

I learned to cut & weld in Ag class in high school - remember the FFA jackets?  Ag was MANDATORY where I went to school.  It was the school's free labor class.  My FFA jacket had little holes in it from the weld splatter.  I feel like Napoleon Dynamite.  

Every school day for 4 years we welded with Lincoln AC stick welders.  You can find them used here in Texas for $150-$200 in pawn shops.  Most of it was making hay rings for round bales out of thin square tubing.  It was a real treat to make a gate out of pipe cause we could crank the welder up to 70-90 amps and not make holes.

I've used my employer's MIG and TIG to do mauser bolt handle conversions and various other stuff.  Mig is sooooo nice.  Just point & shoot.  TIG is OK, probably as close to gas welding as I've done.

We never used gas to weld, just cut.  I never learned to gas weld.  

Arlington Texas
Used to have 98 & 88 Savages
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 04:07:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Welding question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.