Welding question. (Read 13 times)
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Welding question.
03/07/05 at 16:36:30

I wanna learn how to weld.  Nothing big.  Nothing much.   Just want to widen my horizons a little before I die.  Someday.  Long off.  I hope.

I don't really want to do major stuff, maybe enough to weld a tab on the bike, braze jewelry, artsy stuff.

What do any of you that weld think about a very light duty MAPP gas welder like this:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=98894-000000717-OX2550
Is that enough to actually DO anything, at least on a light duty, learning level?  I don't want to sink a lot of $$ into it at this point, but just want mess around. For now.

FWIW:
My Grandad was a master welder.  This guy had several welding kits including one that was powered by a generator turned by a 56 Chevy 6 cyl engine on a trailer.  He could weld anything.  He worked for Mack Truck.  I met some  of his coworkers in the 70's. They all said he was the best welder ever.  So he must have impressed somebody.

I doubt if there's a welding gene, but I want to give it a go.  GPop's old welding stuff was scattered to cousins an brothers who by now, 25 years sold it for beer money or forgot where it came from and gave it all away.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Welding question.
Reply #1 - 03/07/05 at 16:54:44

i'm in the same boat as you on the welding thing.

my father inlaw did leave me a oxy/act  set up and a welder.

looks like i'll have to give it a go.

but i wont try anything on thumper till i'm much better.  Grin

oh yeah and git, i've read your posts today, your on a roll.  Roll Eyes

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 03/07/05 at 17:48:39

I've been using a oxy-acetlyne setup for close to 20 years in my workshop. Have been able to weld new perches onto rears all the way down to thin metal repairs. The biggest problem with any type of gas welding is getting the tanks refilled. I'm using a 40 acetlyne and a 60 oxygen that I get refilled at AirGas. I bought the tanks orignially(expensive startup cost) and trade them in when they need to be refilled and pay for the contents. Before buying any set from Home Depot I would be sure that the tanks can be refilled either at Home Depot or a local welding supply company. Mapps gas is simular to propane so I would expect a little less heat from it when compaired to acetlyne  but I've never had a chance to really test it. The set you are looking at would be a good starter set bit you might outgrow it quickly. You should be able to find a oxy-acetlyne set at a welding supply store simular to the Mapp gas stuff that is sold at Home Depot. I guess my advice would be to see if there are any welding supply stores in your area and go in and talk to them, most of the time they will steer you straight. They should also have Mapps gas setups, at least the Airgas store I use does. One other thought, buy something bigger than you think you need, you will grow into it. Luck on whatever you decide to get.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #3 - 03/07/05 at 18:21:28

Maybe something more like this?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36983

I figure I'd learn on some junk metal and later evolve into windchimes, garden deco, etc.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 03/07/05 at 18:32:26

Several years ago the wife got me a Sears gas welding outfit.  Went and got a couple of rather large tanks (4' tall oxygen, 3' tall acetylene.)  No worry about not having enough power for the job, nor running out of gas in the middle of a job.  So far I've done a little practice, welded the crank back on the wife's exercise bike, welded four bolts to a frame for setting in concrete to mount a 1.5 hp pool pump.   Will be welding/brazing my VW floor pans sometime in the future.   It is far more than I need; thus it will never be less then I need.  Also useful incomputer data security.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 03/07/05 at 18:55:01

That set will do the trick, looks a lot like the set I'm using. Now all you need are the tanks, some scrap metal and a bunch of coat hangers for welding rods Grin. Just joking, get the welding rods when you get the tanks. Never leave the tanks on when not in use, they will leak down over a day or two. Hot metal looks like cold metal I've got a couple scars to prove it Grin. Have fun, welding is a blast, changes how you look at metal.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 03/07/05 at 19:46:52

Something to consider, when I retired I wanted to learn wire feed welding. I had had oxy/acet classes and stick classes year ago, (HS and College), but wire feed takes a diffferent technique. I opted for a class at the local CC, I used up alot of wire and gas unlearning old skills and learning new ones. Well worth the $ to have a coach there for each different welding procedure. Also got to try an air arc cutter, cutting and welding stainless and aluminum, plus spray weld (wire feed process with the power cranked up and the wire rolling out the end of the handle) used on overhead and vertical for heavy thick metal, I was on 3/4 " sample plates. smoked a pair of new gloves with the heat. I know I saved money over doing it myself as I probably burned up the dollars the class cost in materials and electricity had I spend that many hours in my shop. 2 hrs day, 4 days week for 11 weeks. Also learned welding with bi/tri focals doesn't work for me, I got plain safety glasses and used them so the focus didn't change, also spurgled and got a auto dimming helmet at the student discount price. They are much cheaper now but were at $250. then, student price was about $75 off. Really nice to have be able to see your set up and then start welding w/o having to roll/tip the helmet down.  But whatever works for you is great, I have a MAPP gas set in the garage sale box as I inherited my dad's oxy/acetylene jewelry/art set up that is much better. I have a ocy/acet set in the box still, haven't got the bottle yet as my BIL has a set I can use and the wire feed he bought us stays at my house. it will weld thin stuff, tubing lots better than gas. Lots less warpage. It is a great skill to have and I'd encourage you to learn it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
tarheel365
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Train Hard Don't Tap

Manassas, VA
Reply #7 - 03/07/05 at 19:53:28

i've also been thinking of learning to weld.  i've learned from other boards that although its good to learn on your own....sometimes it could be cheaper in the long run to take a class at the local community college or something.  they have the equipment there and i'm sure they'll give u advice on stuff to start with.  

they(people on other boards) also recommended oxy/acet and mig welders to start with.  

oxy/acet appeals to me because it is multipurpose...(cuts, heats, welds)
that and you can weld thick stuff without rewiring to 220v

i've heard good and bad things with the 115v migs.  but i've heard more good things about the 115v migs by the big three(miller, lincoln, hobart) so i guess u get what u pay for.

i'm just reitterating some knowledge i've picked up from others.....oh yah another theme is......Go big the first time around so you don't waste money upgrading later.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 03/07/05 at 21:01:41

A couple of years ago I took a welding class at a local tech, not the full semester, just an intro class...two nights a week for 10 weeks.  It was a lot of fun and I learned a few basics, enough to get by and do a few little jobs.  Look around for an intro class.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #9 - 03/08/05 at 06:18:54

[glow=red,2,300]GOOD IDEA [/glow]    Cheesy

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 03/08/05 at 07:31:32

I did a basic gas welding course, enough to do battery boxes mudgaurds light mounts etc on chops.
A friend of mine who welds as part of his job says get TIG if you can afford it if not get gas but dont bother with MIG or stick.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 03/08/05 at 10:35:14

I was a weldor for a couple of years in my late teens before I joined the Navy and it was mostly arc welding (stick/MIG/TIG) stuff.  Very little gas except for some cutting.  However, in high school I took 2 years of welding.  For heavier stuff like frames, trailers, etc. I'd go with arc.  For smaller stuff like battery boxes, fenders, etc. gas (oxy-acetylene) will be fine.  Small stuff can be done using MIG or TIG too but the investment in that equipment is much greater.  For artsy stuff, gas is great - for both welding and brazing.  The suggestion on taking a class is not a bad idea either.  Being taught how to do something properly the first time can save a lot of time and frustration, not to mention lessening the likelihood of wasted materials.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 03/08/05 at 11:17:38

man, i just scared the shi Shockedt out of myself.

went out to the shop  dusted off the oxy/act tanks.
opened them up, lit the torch. thing was leaking had fire coming out all the connections threw it to the floor, it lands on some rags. starts them on fire. i run back to the tanks shut em off then went and stomped out the rags.  that was about 15 minutes ago and my heart is still pounding.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Red_Wine

Chain-drive, 400cc
Black Savage in
Chile

Santiago, Chile
Reply #13 - 03/08/05 at 11:47:28

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
man, i just scared the shi Shockedt out of myself.

went out to the shop  dusted off the oxy/act tanks.
opened them up, lit the torch. thing was leaking had fire coming out all the connections threw it to the floor, it lands on some rags. starts them on fire. i run back to the tanks shut em off then went and stomped out the rags.  that was about 15 minutes ago and my heart is still pounding.  

When are you starting your welding lessos, Sluggo?  Grin
First lesson, first day: "Always check your gear before starting"... sounds familiar?  Wink
Glad the only thing you burned was rags and some pride  Grin
Take care,
RW

IP Logged
Nightrain
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/08/05 at 11:47:58

One of the very best pieces of eqipment for your shop should be a good fire extinguisher. Don't wait untill you are involved in a serious fire to learn this the hard way. take it from me and dont make the same mistake I did. They only cost about $25 and are availble almost anywhere.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 09:49:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Welding question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.