Send Topic Print
loud noise (Read 318 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: loud noise
Reply #15 - 02/02/24 at 05:02:06

Coupe of videos I shot when I was trying to determine the source of the noise before i took apart the clutch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jm3aXktFlg

https://youtu.be/947tPGFNm7k

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #16 - 02/02/24 at 05:12:32

Good video of the oil pump drive gear behind the clutch basket.  Kinda hard to tell anything from the other videos.  I put my oiler gear in backwards and it totally jammed the motor.  I couldn’t even get the bike to crank.  

Unrelated, what kind of seat is that?  Looks pretty thick in the video.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 02/02/24 at 17:14:33

ThumperPaul wrote on 02/02/24 at 05:12:32:
Good video of the oil pump drive gear behind the clutch basket.  Kinda hard to tell anything from the other videos.  I put my oiler gear in backwards and it totally jammed the motor.  I couldn’t even get the bike to crank.  

Unrelated, what kind of seat is that?  Looks pretty thick in the video.

Stock seat modified by Russell Cycle - I had them add a few inches of foam so that the seat is now flat all the way across. Before the mod, being 6'4, I used to ride on the pillion portion of the seat.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 02/02/24 at 18:59:36

Dang Och!  Glad we’re friends!  It looks really cool even if it would be too tall for me at 5’7”!

IP Logged
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/04/24 at 14:00:17

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZD-RqXR8TTk?si=PiGF9M-qCWFBAyK1

Here's a video of what it sounds like.. I appreciate the info on the gear but I didn't remove the basket I left it in and I checked oil pressure and it's getting pretty good pressure.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 02/04/24 at 14:11:48

Take off and shake your exhaust pipe out, bet there is a piece of loose metal in there. Or run the bike without the exhaust to see if it still sounds like that to eliminate the potential cause.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - 02/04/24 at 15:03:10

Did you check the decomp and valve lash again?  It sounds like valve noise due to decomp set wrong or too much valve lash clearance.

IP Logged
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 02/04/24 at 15:13:58

I did yesterday. I'm going to recheck everything again tomorrow.

IP Logged
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/05/24 at 08:20:17

Ok so i pretty much factory reset everything this morning. I loosened the valves completely where they had tons of play triple checked the TDC on compression stroke. Put them down to .003" and loosened the decomp. and started it. As it ran I slowly adjusted decomp until it clicked and backed it off just a hair till it wasn't making any noise. i got on it rode it up my forever driveway and back down and the only chatter I heard was from under clutch cover. Now while I'm on here ill ask, do I need to order new gasket or can I use Permatex black? I use it on pretty much everything but I noticed the gasket for clutch is just a little different where it has the red area around the top.

IP Logged
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 02/05/24 at 09:50:00

https://youtube.com/shorts/dwzHk0u35H0?si=bRQ7dUsdT7d1oIm2
Here's what it looks like I feel like the chain is just a hint too toght

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 02/05/24 at 10:35:00

96zukirod wrote on 02/05/24 at 08:20:17:
Ok so i pretty much factory reset everything this morning. I loosened the valves completely where they had tons of play triple checked the TDC on compression stroke. Put them down to .003" and loosened the decomp. and started it. As it ran I slowly adjusted decomp until it clicked and backed it off just a hair till it wasn't making any noise. i got on it rode it up my forever driveway and back down and the only chatter I heard was from under clutch cover. Now while I'm on here ill ask, do I need to order new gasket or can I use Permatex black? I use it on pretty much everything but I noticed the gasket for clutch is just a little different where it has the red area around the top.

Clutch gasket is reusable, but if its too damaged to be reused, I would order a new one. Its a really high quality gasket, I wouldn't replace it with sealant unless really in a pinch.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #26 - 02/05/24 at 10:49:41

Mine was tighter than that when I moved to the 2nd hole on the Verslavy cam chain tensioner.  Hopefully Verslagen can comment, but it appears the plugger should be grabbing the next notch and keeping the chain tensioned.  I don't think it's supposed to have any free play like that.  Verslagen would know and can name the parts correctly.  (I forget the name of the part that has the notches and hold the plugger at a certain length.)

IP Logged
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 02/05/24 at 11:17:02

Hey you know I'd say we all make mistakes but this was just stupidity I checked everything over and over and never paid attention to it but I had that plunger flipped so the notches weren't locking in place

IP Logged
96zukirod
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 02/05/24 at 11:22:48

That would explain all that chatter

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #29 - 02/05/24 at 11:24:15

Keep sharing and asking questions and eventually something will trigger the brain.  And SNAP...AHA moment!!  I knew something wasn't catching correctly right there!  Good job backtracking and hunting it down!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 09:16:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › loud noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.