Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Loose Flywheel - How does it sound? (Read 134 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Loose Flywheel - How does it sound?
08/17/22 at 15:31:10

This post is intended to document the sound you can expect from an LS engine with a loose flywheel.

I recently had my flywheel come loose.  I was going to include the loose flywheel in my Wiseco Flat-Top Piston 10,000 mile report, but Rob++ currently has a noise problem so I thought I would do a mini-report on the flywheel.

I started hearing a pronounced rattling noise at about 8500 miles.  I figured it was piston slap or possibly the rod bearing.  That noise got worse over the next 1500 miles.  At 10,000 miles it was time to take a look.

You can hear the noise in this YouTube video.  Note the very loud metallic rattle when I twist the throttle open.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KUhN_OHQhmo

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Loose Flywheel - How does it sound?
Reply #1 - 08/17/22 at 15:32:35

I did an inspection of the cam chain tensioner.  It was fine.

I checked valve clearance.  It was .005” to .007”.  Not a problem IMO.

Visual inspection of the flywheel nut indicated that all was normal.  Don’t be fooled by a nut that looks tight and can’t be rotated with your fingers. The nut was loose.  I estimate it took no more than 10 ft-lbs to move the nut (probably less).

Nut_Looked_Tight.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 08/17/22 at 15:34:04

I’m pretty anal about critical torques.  I view this nut as a “critical torque” item.  It’s supposed to be tightened to 110 ft-lbs, and I know for sure I applied 110 ft-lbs to this nut when it was installed.  So, the nut came loose even though it was major-league tight.

The factory service manual does not specify thread locker for this nut, and I don’t advise using thread locker on this nut.  The nut is so thin, and the tightening torque is so high, you run the risk of rounding off the corners if you use thread locking compound.  Get it glued on there tight enough, and you might end up wrecking things in an effort to remove the nut later on.

The flywheel was clearly moving on the crankshaft.  You can see the scoring on the face of the flywheel.  I was lucky, no wear on the splines (male or female).  I fixed it and the engine is quiet now.  The noise was a loose flywheel, no doubt about it.

Scoring_Fretting_Galling.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 08/17/22 at 15:37:27

I’m not suggesting that every loose flywheel will sound exactly the same.  Mine still had some tension being applied by the Bellville Washer.  If it had continued to loosen, the noise probably would have changed.  But the YouTube vid should give you an idea what to expect.

Hope this helps some of you.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/17/22 at 18:56:51

When I have a thin nut that needs to Tight,I look at the socket. If where the sides meet isn't where the socket stops, I grind the socket until the radius is gone and the inside corners of the socket are going all the way to the end of the socket. On impact sockets the start of the sides is sometimes almost an eighth of an inch up inside the socket. That doesn't sound like a lot, until you have a nut that is around 3 sixteenths thick, knowing it needs plenty of torque and then that difference matters.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 08/17/22 at 19:48:43

Good point JOG. I see no problem using loctite on that nut. I’m looking at the location , no problem using a small torch to heat it when it’s got to come off. Loctite is just glorified candle wax heat it and it becomes liquid again !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 08/17/22 at 19:53:00

I’m swapping flywheels soon and I’m definitely using loctite. Think mine is loose too. Putting stock flywheel back in.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/17/22 at 20:01:41

Little stuff like that can be the difference between winning it quickly and cleanly
And struggling.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #8 - 08/18/22 at 06:37:21

A million years ago I build 250 Bultacos for a dear friend that raced them in AHRMA vintage. By the time we were done, we were about double the stock horsepower. The primary sprocket on the right side would loosen up no matter what I did. I finally cleaned up the splines as well as possible, and put some Blue Loctite on the splines. Always needed heat and a puller to get the sprocket off, but we never had one loosen again.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 08/18/22 at 12:27:45

Yup , I look ahead and make sure it’s a place I can use a torch for heat , a place free of wiring , seals , etc.  Then glue it with the blue.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 08/18/22 at 23:27:23

I agree Justin.  These suckers need a modified socket.  This picture shows just how much engagement you lose with a standard impact socket.  Looks close to 1/8” to me.

Socket_Insufficient_Engagement.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 08/18/22 at 23:28:03

After the mess I had with the failed transmission and excessive crankshaft runout, I got serious about making every effort to limit any sort of bending or twisting moments on the crank.  I ordered a 46mm deep socket to give me a good solid fit on the nut.  Then I put that socket in the lathe and faced off the chamfer to provide maximum engagement with that thin nut (some folks refer to the engagement as “purchase”).  Oooooooo!  These sockets are tough, but where there’s a will there’s a way.

Socket_Machining.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 08/18/22 at 23:28:40

Finished product.  That sucker fit like a glove, and I had no problem hitting the 110 ft-lb mark.

Socket_Machined.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #13 - 08/18/22 at 23:29:54

Sneezy, I changed direction on the mini flywheel.  After hours of fiddling with my Big Bore 4-Speed project, I really couldn’t find any connection between the 3-inch flywheel and the bearing bore fretting.  It pretty much boiled down to the excessive crank runout.  So, when this loose flywheel reared it’s ugly head, I had to take a second look.

Seems to me that when you bump up the squeeze two points, you increase crankshaft angular velocity on the power stroke, and decrease crankshaft angular velocity on the compression stroke.  Of course, there’s a difference in the angular velocity on the power and compression strokes on the stock engine too, but that difference is probably much greater on the high compression motor.  Throw in the DR cam with it’s earlier closing intake valve and the spread goes up a bit more.

I’m thinkin that the continuous change in angular velocity gets the heavy flywheel rockin back & forth within the clearance limits of the splines.  That overcomes the torque eventually and things get loose.  Hey, it lasted 8000+ miles before it manifested in a rattle.

I installed the mini-wheel.  This clamping tool ensures that I can achieve the correct torque without bending or twisting on the crank.  The mini-wheel has much less inertia and isn’t gonna work that nut loose (I think).

Holding_Flywheel.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #14 - 08/18/22 at 23:30:29

I guess I could live with the Loctite 242 (blue), but the 262 or 272 is brutal stuff.  I’m not a fan of throwin heat on the crank, plus the big ole flywheel is gonna make a great heat sink.  You’ll need to pump a lot of BTUs into that sucker to get the whole mess up to 400°F.  I’m good with the mini-wheel solution.  If it turns out to be a bad decision, yooz guys will be the first to hear about it.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 10:10:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loose Flywheel - How does it sound?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.