Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28
Send Topic Print
R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist (Read 1534 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist
Reply #255 - 12/28/23 at 20:40:04

You also need to keep the crud out of the oil feed and oil drain.  The oil feed is in the right-rear corner of the cylinder.  The oil drain is in the left-front corner (also a stud hole).  I use vinyl caps for cleanliness plugs.

Vinyl_Caps.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #256 - 12/28/23 at 20:49:54

Just make sure the plugs fit tight so you don't lose one down a hole.  You can't name your hotrod "Vinyl".  So, one plug in the feed (red plug) and one plug in the drain (black plug).  Keep this in mind.  Trash in the feed hole will go directly to your cam, trash in the drain hole will go directly to your main bearing and balance shaft bearing.  You don't want crud in those holes.

Feed__Drain_Plugged.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #257 - 12/28/23 at 20:53:40

You also don't want trash going down the cam chain cavity.  This is a tough one to completely seal off.   A paper towel or a rag is about the best you can do.  Use a little BrakeKlean or mineral spirits on a paper towel to wipe out the cavity first.  Get the oil off the surfaces so grit and dirt doesn't get stuck in an oily film.  Let the solvent dry, then pack the cavity with a towel.

Chain_Cavity_Sealed_Off.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #258 - 12/28/23 at 20:57:08

Once everything is protected, clean off the gasket surface with a very mild abrasive.  I like ScotchBrite, the green variety.  I use it with a small amount of oil and only work the surface just enough to remove the remnants of gasket coating.

ScotchBrite_Pad__Oil.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #259 - 12/28/23 at 20:59:10

Gently work around the surface until you can see that all the old gasket coating has been removed.  Easy on the elbow grease, remember, it's an abrasive, it removes metal too.

Lightly_Scrub.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #260 - 12/28/23 at 21:02:28

Wipe it all up with clean paper towels, then follow up with another wipe down using some mineral spirits.  Make sure you thoroughly wipe out the keyhole groove in the oil feed system (red arrows).  Use a Q-tip to get all the rubbish out of that groove.  See how nice it cleans up.

Clean_Keyhole_Slot.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #261 - 12/28/23 at 21:06:08

Once you get the top of the cylinder cleaned up, vacuum up the piston and all around the circumference of the bore.  Then remove the plumber's putty and the copper wire ring.  Then vacuum the circumference again.  Since you have been dumping carb cleaner down there, I suggest that you squirt some clean engine oil around the circumference of the piston to lube that top ring.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #262 - 12/28/23 at 21:13:12

The cylinder head also has oil feed and drain holes that correspond to the cylinder.  The head is removed so you can wash it in solvent, but you still need to be cognizant of those critical holes.  Use similar methods to keep abrasive particles out of those holes when you clean the gasket and sealing surfaces.  ScotchBrite works good on the head surfaces too, but you need to mask off the valve pockets, valve springs, etc. to keep the grit from getting in all the nooks & crannies.

This shows the oil feed hole (yellow arrow) and exhaust valve pocket drain location (red arrow).  Keep the trash out of those holes and pockets.  Also keep the trash out of the cam bearings.

Oil_Feed_Oil_Drain.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #263 - 12/28/23 at 21:16:18

Don't forget that the left-front stud hole serves double duty.  It connects to the exhaust valve pocket drain and directs the oil back to the sump.  Keep that hole clean.

LF_Stud_Hole_Oil_Drain.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #264 - 12/28/23 at 21:31:36

The head cover sealing surface will also need cleaning.  ScotchBrite works good on this too.  You need to take appropriate measures to keep grit off the rocker arms and out of the bearings and the bearing oil holes.  The oil feed passage to the head cover has this unique oval o-ring.  You need to keep the grit out of this passage.  A plug is in order.  You can also wash it up with mineral spirits but make sure you oil the shafts afterwards.

Head_Cvr_Oil_Feed_markup2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #265 - 12/28/23 at 21:36:08

Regarding your piston, yes, it is a stock piston.  Note that the top of the piston has some pretty good scratches.  Once you get everything cleaned up and you have oiled the top ring, you should get the cam chain untangled and rotate the engine so the piston is at BDC, then inspect your cylinder.  I suspect the scratches on the piston are from your fishing expedition, you may find that the cylinder bore is scratched up also.  Let us know what you find.

Scratches_on_Piston.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #266 - 12/28/23 at 21:49:18

I'm glad the stud puller worked good for you.  I like the way you marked the top of your studs with that blue tape.  You don't want those getting installed upside down.

The scratch in your cam bearing is from trash.  That's why I stress cleanliness.  That particular scratch shouldn't cause a problem, but you don't want any more scratches.

Your cam looks good too.  Since you have no idea how this engine runs, and you have probably figured out that a cam change is pretty easy, I suggest you hang on to the 466 and run the stock cam for now.  Your rocker pads are a bit sketchy, and it would be a shame to chew up the performance cam.

Are you planning to install a Verslagen head plug, or will you be using the stock plug?

What is the liquid that you sucked out of the right-rear stud hole.  Is it water, oil.....?

You need to do a good inspection of the three threaded holes in your cylinder.  Inspect each hole for any evidence of stripped threads.  Also inspect the bolts that go in these three holes (the three super long head cover bolts).  These three holes are notorious for stripping out.  If there's a problem, you want to find it now.

Threaded_Holes.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #267 - 12/28/23 at 21:53:07

I can see from your pictures that you might have had a head gasket leak on the forward side of the cylinder head.  Once you get it cleaned up, inspect the area where the embossed fire ring contacts the cylinder and cylinder head.  Make sure there are no cuts or divots.

Fire_Ring_Inspect.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #268 - 12/28/23 at 22:03:46

The copper washers for the cylinder head nuts look pretty crushed.  As I recall, you have new replacements.  Also, the theads on your right-front cylinder stud are corroded a bit.  Those threads need to be cleaned up with a small wire brush before the head goes back on.  When the time comes, we need to go over lubrication and tightening.  This old post has some good info.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1576269113/12#12

Also, sealant application is critical.  This is one of those situations where less is more.  This old post has a useful tool that makes application a breeze.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1525551307

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #269 - 12/29/23 at 05:49:10

Thanks Mike.  I’ll get everything masked and sealed off and get my mating surfaces cleaned up.

Yes, the scratches on the top of the piston are from my fishing expeditions.  Not ideal, but they will get buried in fresh carbon within 1000 miles.  Not really worried about this.

I’ll get the piston lowered and check the cylinder walls.  When I removed the head, the piston was at the bottom.  I pulled woody out.  Then used a soft shammy with oil and whipped down the cylinder walls before bringing the piston to the top. I think I’m okay and lesson duly noted.  I’ll oil up the ring area and lower the piston and get some photos of the cylinder walls.  I think I’m okay.

I’ll check Clymer and a parts diagram, but how many dowel locating rods are between the cylinder and the head?  For reassembly, should they be inserted in the cylinder or the combustion side of the head?  I need to double check, but I think I saw 2.  One came out with the head and one stayed with the cylinder.  I think.  I need to finish my coffee and head out to the garage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 19:50:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › R&R Cylinder Head with Tech Assist

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.