Sealant Applicator (Read 97 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Sealant Applicator
05/05/18 at 13:15:05

I've seen a number of posts regarding application of sealant to the LS650 head cover.  After getting inside that thing and looking at how stuff gets oil, I have a good appreciation for the importance of keeping the sealant application to a minimum.  I have a tool that I have used for years that allows application of sealant in a very thin and uniform layer.  It also allows the user to keep the sealant confined to narrow sealing surfaces like those found on the head cover (works great on motorcycle engine cases).

It is constructed from a skate board ball bearing and a strip of aluminum plate.  The plate is used as a handle and the bearing functions sort of like a paint roller.  You squeeze a small pile of sealant on to a clean piece of glass or smooth metal, roll the bearing in the sealant until it's outer race has a nice layer of sealant all the way around, and then sort of paint roll the sealing surfaces you want sealed.  It works really good.

I personally like sealants like ThreeBond 1104 and the OEM sealants like Yamaha & Kawasaki sell.  They are rubberized sealants with a VOC solvent (usually smell like lacquer thinner).  I've never tried this thing with silicone sealants.

Here is a pic of the roller applicator.

IMG_02431.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Sealant Applicator
Reply #1 - 05/05/18 at 13:21:48

In critical areas like those adjacent to the cam bearing chamfers, it's very easy to keep the sealant layer a safe distance from the chamfer, so when the cover goes home there should be little or no squeeze-out into the chamfer.  I have included a pic of typical squeeze-out when the sealant has been applied to the full sealing surface.  I guess I'll have to wait until the next time I tear off the head cover to get a pic of any squeeze-out into the chamfer.  Hopefully its ZERO.

IMG_02411.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #2 - 05/05/18 at 14:44:11

Mike you are obviously a very careful worker. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
George Palickar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reply #3 - 05/05/18 at 17:38:49

Good job there!

2008 S40
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/05/18 at 17:41:47

Mike:

If you would have used the Suzukibond....it is black, and it would blend in and be invisible!

I squeeze the Suzukibond into a small plastic syringe and then use that to apply it, as it is much easier to lay down a bead about the size of a pencil lead in the center of the mating surface.  That seems to be just about the right amount to ooze a small amount out of both sides of the seam.  (The Suzukibond sets up a bit slower than the common autostore RTV gasket maker, and it gives you more time to work carefully).

If you used the syringe and Mike's fancy tool......it might just be the perfect combination.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #5 - 05/06/18 at 11:23:25

The syringe sounds interesting.  You could really zero-in on critical areas if the bead is the size of a pencil point.  I agree that it would probably work well in conjunction with the roller.  Do you clean the syringe afterwards or do you just throw it out?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/06/18 at 13:30:03

DragBikeMike wrote on 05/06/18 at 11:23:25:
 Do you clean the syringe afterwards or do you just throw it out?

I just throw them out - last time I needed one I asked the pharmacist at Walgreens, and she gave me 3 of them for free!

I will look and see what size they are - the barrel is just about the same size as the cap on the Suzukibond tube....so I can just squeeze it from the tube right into the syringe.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/06/18 at 17:14:21

LUKE E THAYER!

I have everything I need to build that.

constructed from a skate board ball bearing and a strip of aluminum plate.  The plate is used as a handle and the bearing functions sort of like a paint roller.  You squeeze a small pile of sealant on to a clean piece of glass or smooth metal, roll the bearing in the sealant until it's outer race has a nice layer of sealant all the way around, and then sort of paint roll the sealing surfaces you want sealed.  It works really good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 05/06/18 at 20:09:12

The roller tool looks pretty cool and easy to fabricate. One note on the syringe comment, in many states you need a perscription from a doctor to buy them from a pharmacy, N.J. being one of them. Gougeon Bros., i.e. West Epoxy Systems, sells disposable plastic syringes, I get them at my local boat supply. They have extremely narrow tips and be cut to what ever application flow you need. I use them for all sorts of things like the situation described and fine caulking applications on my boat as well. You can also put oil in them and they are great for lubrication of remote parts that just require a few drops.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/07/18 at 01:32:08

Those socket irrigation syringes the dentist gives you is handy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 05/07/18 at 07:04:43

The West syringes are basically the same as the dental only tip isn't bent and they are not sterile, though when you buy them in packages of 2 at West Marine (not to be confused with the West epoxy brand), for way too much money, they may be. My one local independent boat supply sells them individually or in bulk for pretty cheap.

You can cut them and stick some tube on them and they work well for sucking small amounts of stuff out of hard to reach places also.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 17:14:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sealant Applicator

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.