MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: 2024 Rides
Reply #345 - 03/30/24 at 19:42:55

The race is held going uphill  

I haven't found how far down the foot pegs on the 650 yet , but the weight reminds me of the 883 Sportster , with a lower center of gravity !   Roll Eyes

I'm trying to : "Don't ride like a Hooligan'"  , Some times I see a curvy road and forget ... sorry ...  Embarrassed

We should act our age ... sometimes ... at least !    Wink

Being that far leaned over on a 400 pound bike and loosing traction up front  doesn't bother me much , but the thought of being on a 500 pound bike , leaned over to the max , then loosing traction on the front wheel ... that's kind of unnerving .

Time to be down shifting two gears and pouring in the fuel !   Looks like it going to take a lot of power to pull this off  !!  Grin
But
I'd wager this feller has already lost his nerve , and is fixating on that on-coming-vehicle ?  

Stay_in_your_lane.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #346 - 03/31/24 at 02:55:29

I know that curve on the Dragon - and it has pretty good visibility and you can clearly see the camera folks.  That rider was obviously showing off for the camera, and he did give them something exciting to see.

If I was that fellow coming the other way - I am not sure which way I would go to get out of the way of that Black Bomber!  Even if the fellow has the ability to come to a complete stop - there is no certainty where the black bike and rider are going to end up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #347 - 03/31/24 at 10:13:12

Here is the schedule for this years Fiddies4Life races at Deals Gap.

Stewmills and I went to one of these races last fall, and it was a lot of fun.

After we are all home and have had some time to recover - we should plan a trip to ride in TN/NC on a weekend when we can see one of these races.

We can try the Kickstand Lodge if you want.  They have clean bathrooms and good rates - the past few years the facilities have been degrading and they no longer cook meals (or even have a grill or oven that functions).
https://kickstandlodge.com/

Stewmills and I stayed in a tent at the Iron Horse last fall.  The campground is in the trees and well shaded - not the best situation when it rains as it takes a long time for things to dry out.  They have a wonderful kitchen that is open for breakfast and dinner, a nice lodge and firepit, clean showers and bathroom, and covered parking for your motorcycle!  More expensive than the Kickstand - but it is much nicer.
https://ironhorsenc.com/rv-%26-tent-camping

Fiddies4Life_001.PNG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #348 - 03/31/24 at 21:56:31

I like the idea of a Dragon run w/seeing a race too !   Smiley

I have camped at Dragon Central , but it may be too busy on Race night ?

Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #349 - 04/01/24 at 04:17:49

MMRanch wrote on 03/31/24 at 21:56:31:
I have camped at Dragon Central , but it may be too busy on Race night ?

Huh

I looked at the web page for Deal Gap, and the tent camping rate is not posted.  It is first come/first serve.

The last time I stayed at the Deals Gap hotel I got a "big" surprise.  For years I have slept in my little 4x8 enclosed trailer in the parking lot, and they always charged me the same as a tent.....last year when I did that they charged me $40 a night for my car being parked in their lot!  Evidently they have become so popular that they run out of parking spaces for the folks in the rooms - and their website now states that campers and RV's are prohibited.  To prevent unwanted parking they now charge extra to park overnight if you don't have a hotel room (the website seems to indicate that tent campers also need to pay $40 a night to use the parking lot......tent rates only apply if you rode in on a motorcycle).

So for me......staying at Deals Gap (Dragon Central) is not likely - unless we got enough people to rent a room or I rode in on a bike and stayed in a tent.  The reason I don't like the idea of getting a room is that you cannot cancel your reservation for free if the weather turns crappy.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #350 - 04/01/24 at 07:04:59

So

Deals Gap Camping is just out , unless its a two wheels only outing ...  Wink

I can bring the 8'x10'x72" room  or  a one person back-pack tent ... still sounds like a fun week either way !   Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #351 - 04/01/24 at 14:22:22

MM:

I believe you should give the Iron Horse a try.  It is on the road near Mo's - you and I and Stew road back there once after we washed the bikes at Mo's.

It is a very nice place - affordable in a tent, expensive in an RV at $80 a night for electric/water/sewer!

The food is great!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #352 - 04/01/24 at 17:47:04

$80.00 per night !   Undecided

How much is a cheep motel in the Robbinsville  area  ?  Huh

You know I might have a few dollars , but I don't want to spend all eight of them at the same time unless I'm buying a new bike !   Grin

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #353 - 04/02/24 at 03:44:23

MMRanch wrote on 04/01/24 at 17:47:04:
$80.00 per night !   Undecided

How much is a cheep motel in the Robbinsville  area  ?  Huh

It is a bit surprising - but $80 a night for a full hookup to park your camper or RV at a "nice" privately owned place is not all that unusual anymore.  Campgrounds that are located at popular tourist sites are in demand and the prices reflect that.  State Parks are considerably cheaper however - but during peak seasons you need to plan well in advance.  The Kickstand Lodge charges $30 a night for an RV...they are definitely a bargain.

Hotel rooms are getting to be expensive as well in our current economy.  Two Wheel Inn in Robbinsville is $100 a night for the first 2 people, $10 a night for extra people.  Deals Gap is $94 a night for 1-2 people with $10 a person for more than 2.  The Quality Inn at Robbinsville is $110 a night.

Tent Camping is definitely the way to go if you want to hold on to your motorcycle funds.  The Kickstand Lodge is $25 a night for one person and $5 a night for your snuggle buddy.  Tent Camping at the Iron Horse is $35.99 a night for 1 person - $8 additional for each extra person.  Deals Gap doesn't have a camping rate listed on their webpage currently - it likely is $20-$30 a night.

When Deb and I were on 129 a couple weeks ago - we saw a sign at the end of Happy Valley that advertised the Abrams Creek Campground.  When I got home I looked it up.  It is pretty much tent camping only, and they have flush toilets but no showers.  The cost is $30 a night per campsite:
https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/abrams-creek-campground.htm  

It is sad to say - but the $15 tent sites and $40 cabin rental are gone! Sad

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #354 - 04/02/24 at 04:25:53

Dave wrote on 04/02/24 at 03:44:23:
Hotel rooms are getting to be expensive as well in our current economy.  Two Wheel Inn in Robbinsville is $100 a night for the first 2 people, $10 a night for extra people.  Deals Gap is $94 a night for 1-2 people with $10 a person for more than 2.  The Quality Inn at Robbinsville is $110 a night.

I'm paying about $125 (includes tax/title/license) a night for Quality Inn in Kerrville so I don't have to ride there early in the morning to get you guys on the road!!
See you Sunday as you ride in!!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #355 - 04/02/24 at 06:21:19

That's Sunday the 14th ... right ?  

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #356 - 04/02/24 at 07:36:42

MMRanch wrote on 04/02/24 at 06:21:19:

What do you mean the 14th?

We're all here now!  Where are you?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #357 - 04/02/24 at 07:55:47

verslagen1 wrote on 04/02/24 at 07:36:42:
MMRanch wrote on 04/02/24 at 06:21:19:

What do you mean the 14th?

We're all here now!  Where are you?

Verslagen.....I believe yesterday was the proper day for that message. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #358 - 04/02/24 at 08:19:13

Dave wrote on 04/02/24 at 07:55:47:
Verslagen.....I believe yesterday was the proper day for that message. Roll Eyes

sorry I was 'traveling' and I'm a dollar short.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #359 - 04/02/24 at 11:45:19

Hopefully you have enough gas to get somewhere you can hold up until you can get another dollar to get home.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 37
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/26/24 at 17:01:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2024 Rides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.