Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
Send Topic Print
Finn Hammer's Savage (Read 2062 times)
FinnHammer

Denmark
Re: Finn Hammer's Savage
Reply #165 - 04/04/24 at 11:28:39

And here is the point of impact on the cover.

IMG_20240404_180307.jpg

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #166 - 04/04/24 at 11:28:48

This is my take on the cam chain tensioner. If a plunger is going to move smoothly in a bore, I find it preferable that it engages with that bore at a length that is 3 times the diameter.  This is an old toolroom rule I find it hard to deviate from.  
The original has 2 times the diameter when the plunger is inserted fully. I like a bit more.

The housing got a bit ugly when I started to file away, to clear the interference with clutch cover, I could probably have gotten away with just turning the end down to plunger diameter + 2mm. That will be for the next iteration.

Together with the top adjusting screw, this arrangement works great, at least with the engine standing still.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

IMG_20240404_194319.jpg

An expert is a person who has made all possible mistakes within a narrow field - Niels Bohr
WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #167 - 04/04/24 at 11:40:10

I installed "Open Camera"  to my Android phone.
What a relief to be able to take photos in the resolution that fits the forum. Before I had to reduce their size in Photoshop which could take ages.

Screenshot_20240404_203737_Open_Camera.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #168 - 04/04/24 at 12:05:33

The modified tensioner body and plunger looks great.

I added a small hole at the top of the uphill end to allow oil to get inside the plunger.  One goal was to allow oil to enter for lubrication - the other benefit I had hope for was that it would allow oil to gather behind the plunger and dampen any larger movement. (I have no idea if the hole has any real benefit).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #169 - 04/04/24 at 13:47:19

Thanks Dave.
I intend to drill a similar hole, can't have too much oil in there.

WWW   IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #170 - 04/04/24 at 13:55:24

It all looks nicey nicey  Smiley

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #171 - 04/05/24 at 11:47:28

Finn, what sort of carburetor do you intend to run, and what air filter setup?  You will have a free-flowing exhaust and a head that should also flow a whole bunch more.  What are your plans for induction?

I drilled that oil hole in my CCT.  I never find any evidence of oil in the hole, and never find the CCT filled with oil.  It's wetted with oil on the inside, but I never find it filled.  That might be due to the location of my hole.  The plunger overlaps the hole.  It might be better to place the hole at the rear of the bore so that it remains uncovered by the plunger.  The green circle is my proposed location. Regardless, it never gives me any problem and rarely needs any attention.  The 1.5 mm back-travel seems just about right.

CCT_Oil_Hole_Proposed_Move.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #172 - 04/05/24 at 12:15:59

On my Cafe' bike I have been running the stock plunger, the pawl removed, and a spacer inside the tensioner body to limit the travel backwards....I believe I started at 1 or 2mm of back travel.

The tensioner that I made the plunger for isn't in use yet - but it looks like this:

IMG_9914_001.JPG

IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #173 - 04/05/24 at 13:44:11

36mm Mikuni from Lancer. I turned the adaptor flange out in a straight taper, to join stepless into the 42mm inlet.
The first miles, it will be running a UNI foam filter, but I worry about the sound from that inlet, and will probably weld up a custom filter cage, allu or pvc, with generous filter area, and flow, but also damping the sound. There is extra space for this, with new lithium battery taking muc less space up.

I have taken a big mouthfull of modifications this winter, and need to ride the bike to see what I like.
The Loctite 592 appears to already clear customs this weekend, so I can get the engine together pretty soon, just need to gap the rings,  except the top cover, because the delivery of the rockers has been delayed by 14 days. Anyway, it is still winterlike here so probably fine so far.
So many things I would like to change, put the engine over in another frame, for example. If it could fit into a Yamaha RD350 YPVS frame, I might do it. Byby Bobber boy! But I am rambling!

IMG_20240405_223114_001.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #174 - 04/06/24 at 03:40:02

The carb spigot being a mismatch for the cylinder had always bothered me - I like that you have been able to machine it to be a smooth transition.  (Did you flow bench test that change to see if it provides better flow?).

I have a big foam Uni filter on my Cafe' bike - the inlet noise isn't objectionable......however I always wear ear plugs when I ride to reduce the wind noise in my helmet.

IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #175 - 04/06/24 at 12:42:19

Dave,
Thanks for your comment about the inlet sound. My first bike was a Yamaha YDS3, and it was infamous for it's howl. I exchainged it with a Kawasaki A7SS, which had the inlet to the rotary disk controlled carburettors, all covered inside side covers, so it had no inlet sound at all. So the prospect of noise from an open inlet had me worried.
The spigot is an easy fix, if you own a 4 jaw chuck. Just chuck the carburettor in the end that mates with the air filter. Center it using a lever type dial gauge, which can reach all the way into the finished part of the carburettor bore. Then mount the spigot, and with trial and error, or trigonometry, turn the surface to start at 42mm and finish at 36mm, at a suitable depth inside the carb.
  I did not flow it.

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #176 - 04/06/24 at 13:18:12

Dave, looks like you got that hole in the perfect location.  Nice big countersink too.  Very interested to hear how it works.

Finn, it's a shame you didn't flow test that mod.  Would have been valuable info.  You could probably turn it into a 38mm if you were willing to take the risk.

I have had good results installing large cylindrical filters directly into the airbox.  The Uni will fit if you remove the red sock.  Using the airbox permits retention of the decorative tins on right & left sides, and the stock ignition module mount.  It also provides good weather protection.  I cut out a large section of the rear of the airbox to allow room for a 3.5" x 5" K&N cylindrical filter, but that probably wouldn't be necessary with the Uni since it is more flexible.  That would provide even better weather protection.  It's also very quiet, and stealth.  The long 90-degree street elbow provides additional length to the intake tract, and I suspect it might be beneficial.  You want a PVC elbow, not ABS.  It's a very simple, inexpensive, sanitary, and functional.

This old post might be helpful.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1625732492

BTW, I had one of those 350cc A7s back in 1969.  That little sucker could rip.  Wink

Airbox_Mods_10_2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #177 - 04/07/24 at 11:44:22

I may still get to that, flowing the full induction system.
Mike, you bring some good points about keeping the stock air filter boot. Attachment to the side covers and the ignition module is a good thing, and will make the bike look as good as stock. Which is a benefit if I get pulled over by nosy cops.
I never felt comfortable with the foam filter, don't know how to maintain it, but assume it would have to be taken out for regular cleaning and oiling, so I prefer a paper filter. Since the K&N RD-0710 is available here in Denmark, I bought one, and so will have a similar induction system as yours.

I test assembled the clutch today and ran into some interesting problems. First it dawned on me that the only way I could put it together was to assemble the complete clutch (ex the release plate) and insert it as a unit. Then when I get the plates stacked, there is amble room in the basket (I call the exteriour for the basket) the fingers on the outside friction plate are about 2mm away from the front of the notches that they ride in. However, when the splined hub gets fastened to the shaft, the pressure plate is so close to the basket that it rubs on it.
Thus no room for release travel. I felt there were 2 solutions: either skim materiall off the pressure plate and the splined hub, or introduce a 2mm thick washer between the basket and the splined hub. I chose the latter (there is already one washer there) and turned one washer out of stainless sheet. This seems to solve the problem, and extending the release plunger by 2mm (a sawed off disk from a 6mm rod) made the external clutch lever align with the 2 marks on the clutch cover.

I am a bit surprised by this, I am using the DR650 splined hub, as well as the narrow but thick outher friction plate with steed disk and so called wave washer.

Shown is the washer that saved the picture

IMG_20240407_203052.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #178 - 04/07/24 at 11:47:34

Here is the clutch in the state of full release. The pressure plate and the splined hub are still engaged here.
This is also the position the friction plates were in before the introduction of the 2mm washer. But the splined hub was in contact with the outher friction disk then.

IMG_20240407_203123.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
FinnHammer

Denmark
Reply #179 - 04/07/24 at 11:48:00

And here the pressure plate is in the state where the plates are compressed (or almost, trying to do it with one hand and hold the phone with the other.
But I think the plates align perfectly with the basket.
There is no rubbing between clutch and inside of clutch cover.

I know the parts are full of dangerous dirt now,  metal filings and such, i will wash them carefully before final assembly.

IMG_20240407_203303.jpg

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 08:23:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finn Hammer's Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.