Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering (Read 496 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering
Reply #75 - 05/22/23 at 20:26:49

Here is the best I could with slip on pipe baffle image

Compress_20230523_132313_3115.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #76 - 05/22/23 at 20:28:23

And another .
It looks like a 12 inch baffle. Bigger than I thought originally.
Maybe I should just get rid of the baffle while I source the new exhaust setup and make a header?

Compress_20230523_132313_3430.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #77 - 05/22/23 at 20:30:00

The baffle length is marked in red. Maybe more like 14 to 15 inches

Compress_20230523_133101_1739.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #78 - 05/22/23 at 21:55:35

Going to give this a try.

Compress_20230523_145501_1245.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #79 - 05/22/23 at 22:09:54

Moarpower wrote on 05/22/23 at 19:31:49:
Hey vers. How did you check it was the float height and what were the symptoms

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1367212825

WWW   IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #80 - 05/23/23 at 00:37:11

Ok, a quick and dirty test with no intake and open header seemed to rev out well in 2nd gear. I didn't do it much, just 3 or 4 pulls. Bur it was responsive.

I tried with the large air filter shown above and again, the hesitation that was present at the top end was back. I found it was improved when I'd roll on the throttle to wot. It wasn't until after the run that I remembered that I swapped out the needle late last night for the aftermarket one with 3 clip settings to see if it would exit the slide jet. . Idiot. Total waste of an afternoon.
Tomorrow morning I'll use the stock needle with a single clip setting, and the washers to match the original spacer. And report back. It definitely smelled rich with the needle I was using today.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #81 - 05/23/23 at 03:52:00

Once again, you are making too many changes all at once.  I know it's a pain in the tusch to take everything apart just to change or adjust the slide needle, but you have to grin and bear it.  Installing the bigger filter and a different slide needle and changing the needle position all at once doesn't help you.  Only one change at a time.

Caution!!!  Your spark plug is bone white after 56 miles of riding.  White equals lean.  Be careful or you will hurt it.

You definitely have enough air filter now.  That should be sufficient, but how do you know that the oval vent port is not obstructed?  I assume you have a short section of PVC pipe in the female socket of that elbow.  What schedule is the pipe?  What is the wall thickness?  How did you verify that it doesn't obstruct the vent port?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #82 - 05/23/23 at 03:55:56

"I notice when I disassemble the needle (which doesn't come out of the jet when all the way out) that the spring can easily push past the clip with minor wriggling. Maybe its not the factory spring? "

I can see from your picture that you are missing a washer.  The washer prevents the spring from slipping over the e-Clip.  The washer goes between the spring and e-Clip.  When the spring slips over the e-Clip, the needle is allowed to move down, which will make your mixture lean.  Since the needle is no longer captured, and can move around, the mixture becomes a moving target.  You must fix this.  I posted the correct assembly sequence in this thread.

Missing_Washer.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #83 - 05/23/23 at 04:00:15

See the washer?

This_Washer.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #84 - 05/23/23 at 04:15:06

Thanks Mike.

Yes I made too many changes.

I have a suitable washer that I'll use on the needle. That image without the washer is how the slide needle was when I pulled it apart for the first time. I'll try to use just the washer and plastic spacer and see if I can make it work while I wait for more a replacement spacer.

That image of the plug was taken after the velocity stack run so it would have had too much air for sure.

The oval port is definitely not blocked with this airfilter. To test it out I heated a piece of PVC to fit over the carb intake and then cooled it. It takes some effort to remove.  It extends about a  half inch past the intake edge/oval port and the other PVC is fitted to that. So it's impossible for it to be blocked.
It's sealed and clamped but is only temporary until the k&n filter arrives.

I am unsure of the schedule. I just grabbed what they had at the hardware store here. It's pretty thick pipe but as it's only temporary I didn't really look into it.

Tomorrow morning I'll reset the needle and see how it goes. I definitely think its lean at WOT.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #85 - 05/23/23 at 04:23:54

I'm kinda glad you mentioned the spring problem because it prompted me to blow up your photo.  Once blown up, I can see your OEM needle is a 5C17.  Very valuable info.

The 5C17 needle is for the late model carbs.  It should be run with a X-7 needle jet, but the early model carbs came with a X-8 needle jet.

The late model carbs have a fixed main air bleed.  It's about .024".  I've never measured the main air bleed on an early model carb.  The main air bleed and needle jet work together.  They're a team.  If the early model carb has a different size needle jet, it might also have a different size main air bleed.  Do you see where this is goin?

In order to help you, we need to know everything about your carburetor.  We need to know what the markings are on your needle jet.  We need to know if it's brass or stainless steel.  We need to know the size of your main air bleed.

Don't use anything that doesn't have a clear marking embossed.   That rules out any of the stuff you got in a carb kit.  Don't use it.  You know nothing about it.  You don't know the size, taper, etc.  Mixing the aftermarket junk in with genuine OEM parts isn't gonna work. 

Needle jet must have a clear marking.  What is it?  If it doesn't have a clear marking, don't use it.

Slide needle must have a clear marking.  You have several needles. What are the markings?  I can see one is a 5C17, what are the others?  If it doesn't have a clear marking, don't use it.

Main air bleed.  How big is it?  Use small numbered drills to check it. Insert the shank side of the drill bit, not the pointed side.  If you don't have numbered drill bits, get some.  They are available at any decent hobby shop.  If you have no other choice, take the carb to your local machine shop.  They will probably measure the thing for free.

You have this chop suey conglomeration of parts and you are wasting time constantly disassembling and reassembling without keeping any records of the parts.  You should have a complete, detailed list of all the parts by now.  Just zoom in with your phone and snap a photo of the markings, then transcribe the info onto a piece of paper.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #86 - 05/23/23 at 04:39:54

Thanks for the photos of the exhaust pipe.  It looks pretty restrictive.

Can you believe that those little holes in your baffle are supposed to handle 40 cubic inches of red-hot exhaust gas traveling at the speed of sound about 3000 times per minute?  I think that baffle thing is super restrictive, but it's probably not the source of your stuttering.  It's a crime to put that thing on a hopped-up motor.  Can you tell how many of those perforated plates are in that five-inch section?  Can you tell if they all have a similar number & size of holes?

I suspect the bobber kit is a form over function affair.  You want a certain look, and the wrapped straight pipe fits the bill.  Once you get this stuttering thing figured out, you might wanna consider something like this.  It's cheap.  Can be modified to be very quiet.  And...IMO...lends itself to the classic bobber look.  It flows half decent too.

Cherry_Bomb_1_75__Inlet__Outlet_x_17_Long_Part_No_242102_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #87 - 05/23/23 at 05:04:19

Thanks Mike. I believe there are about 4 or 5  of those disks with holes but could be more and I can't tell if there is another form of baffle in the middle of it all.

I was wondering if the stock header pipe is dual walled. And if so would.i be able to remove the inner pipe and use the outer only? Obviously I'd have to cut and weld. Maybe it would be too open then .
The cherry bomb look cool. Are there any videos of something like that running ?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #88 - 05/23/23 at 11:47:26

Love the cherry bomb

Must be loud

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #89 - 05/23/23 at 18:57:28

Here is a shot of the main air bleed. I will get some small drill bits today if I can find them locally.

Compress_20230524_115632_2873.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 03:27:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.