Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering (Read 490 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering
Reply #45 - 05/18/23 at 15:01:25

Thanks Mike.
In regards to the setup, yes that's how it was configured. However the plastic spacer looks like it's going to break and has a split. I'll need to find another. Or could I just add a different washer/s in it's place?
I also tried different configurations with new needle but it was all the same

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #46 - 05/18/23 at 19:21:55

Moarpower wrote on 05/17/23 at 22:51:06:
Picture of the slide. Worn or still good? It's moving fine
------------

The slide gets pulled open by vacuum pressure.  Moving it by hand won't tell you much.   You need to test it as described below.  

And you are definitely throwing way too much poo at the wall.  This isn't a jetting or performance issue.  Those don't just pop up out of nowhere.  So throwing parts (especially the dreaded "carb rebuild kit") isn't going to fix the issue and you are just wasting your time with them at this point.   

This is a mechanical problem.  It could be the slide or a blockage of some sort.  Start with the slide and make sure it will get to WOT as Mike instructed.  If it goes WOT but the problem persists move on to the next item on the list.   #problemsolving101  

DragBikeMike wrote on 05/18/23 at 02:32:28:
Do a quick & dirty test.  Install a new spark plug and remove your air filter (hose, plastic tube, filter, all of it).  Run it without the air filter.  Get it started and rev up the engine.  Observe the slide while you rev it up in neutral.  Make sure the slide opens all the way.  Then ride the bike.  Does it run OK without that little air filter?  Does it run better or worse?

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 05/18/23 at 20:19:16

Thanks Ohio.
The rebuild kit was used when I first got the bike. All I used from it was a few parts, the needles, jets, washers etc were not used. I just cleaned the old original ones thoroughly.
It was running really well with this setup.
Only while I've been troubleshooting have I tried a new needle in different configurations and 2 new jets along with the air filter changes.

Really hoping to get this running in the couple of days so I'll get the plug, reset the needle setup , clean the needle jet and go from there

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 05/19/23 at 22:06:10

Update.
Removed carb and cleaned the emulsion/needle jet. It wasn't blocked but gave it and the whole carb a good clean. Plastic spacer is shot as you can see in the picture
So temporary use of 2 needle shims  very nearly matched the size of the original spacer. I'll try to find another spacer.

Installed new spark plug gapped to 0.85mm.

Started the bike and let it warm up for a bit before revving and inspection of the slide. I will attach a video link here when it uploads.

The slide had full range consistently. Did a quick and dirty test and it totally hauls all the way up to 135kmph. No sputtering.

Now here's the weird part. I attached my air filter, more sputtering but nowhere near as bad.
I even attached it with the long tube that was running perfect prior, and it is still sputtering but only just. I made certain to not block the oval hole, removed material and made certain it was not blocked in anyway.

So I'm guessing the rich co dition has fouled the previous plug.

From here, where should I go? What kind d of filter will provide me with enough air? I'm using a 155 main jet but have others coming. 155 is the smallest I have on hand. Should I drop down to 150?

Could the now much less severe sputtering be the the removal of the damaged Plastic spacer ?  

I don't want to use a velocity stack as they are rubbish.

Compress_20230520_152713_3564.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 05/19/23 at 22:24:23

Here is a link of the slide in operation.

https://youtu.be/wTsN9lvtoPQ

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #50 - 05/20/23 at 02:10:03

"The slide had full range consistently. Did a quick and dirty test and it totally hauls all the way up to 135kmph. No sputtering."

So, now you have a good idea that your problem most likely resides in the filter/plastic tube setup.  I suggest you get rid of the current filter & plastic tube.  It would be most beneficial if you could post photos of the filter and plastic tube.  Try and take a few and post so that we can all see exactly what you were running.  I'm particularly interested in the plastic tube.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #51 - 05/20/23 at 02:30:41

"From here, where should I go? What kind d of filter will provide me with enough air? I'm using a 155 main jet but have others coming. 155 is the smallest I have on hand. Should I drop down to 150?"

I personally like the K&N RD-0710 attached to a 2" x 90 degree street elbow and coupled to the carb with a 2" rubber coupling.  But I run that with a 38mm PWK carb.  That same filter setup steals a bit of power when used with a stock carb.  I suspect because the stock carb fuel delivery can't keep up with the airflow.  The K&N RD-0700 would probably work a little better.  Don't use an ABS elbow, use PVC.  Don't use a common 90 degree elbow, use a street elbow.

This post provides details on the setup.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1583103640/0#12

This post elaborates and provides good info on performance when used with the stock carb.  It also gives details on why you don't want to use ABS.  The pertinent info starts on page 2, reply 27 and continues through page 4, reply 50.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1625732492

The cylindrical K&N provides all the air you will ever need and allows retention of the airbox.  The airbox is nice to have since all sorts of stuff attaches to the airbox.  You do have to modify the airbox but the mods are easy.  I personally love this setup.

Do not drop down to a #150 main jet.  You are running a big-bore high-compression engine with a hot cam and open exhaust.  If anything, you will need a larger main jet once you get a proper filter setup.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #52 - 05/20/23 at 02:40:55

"Could the now much less severe sputtering be the the removal of the damaged Plastic spacer ?"  

Yes, it could, but IMO your problem was more likely related to the air filter setup.  You do too many things at once.  Had you simply removed the air filter and left the needle alone you would know conclusively.  Now you don't know for sure what corrected the WOT sputtering (filter or absence of the spacer).  Only make one change at a time.  

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #53 - 05/20/23 at 03:30:32

Thanks Mike.

Unfortunately I broke the original setup I was using and tossed it a few days ago  it was just PVC pipe from the hardware store, couple to the carb and filter with a small amount of automotive radiator hose that fit. Today to test all I did was attach the factory tube that goes from the carb to the airbox, with a pod filter on the end.
The pod filter was just a cheap eBay ones clamped with screw clamps.

The sputtering was less severe but still annoying. It ran great with no filter.

These are the filters I was using.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/384118178062?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20...

And

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/394563510290?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20....

I have now tossed both filters and am looking for a good one with adequate airflow. I assuming the mistake of cheaping out on the filter caused the rich condition that lead to the fouling of the plug. Better rich than lean I guess so I'll not make that mistake again.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 05/20/23 at 04:01:12

In regards to the elbow I should use, I am using my stock airbox to hide electronics, would a sharp 90 degree elbow like this be ok? Or would the angle cause issues. I am only asking, as the gradual bend elbow with the filter attached wont fit in the airbox anymore unless I redid my electronics.

Mike, The filter you linked has a 64mm flange inner diameter. What did you do to make it fit the 2" pvc elbow ?

I am riding a bobber setup from Bluecollar
« Last Edit: 05/20/23 at 05:03:44 by Moarpower »  

Screenshot_2023-05-20_205915.png
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 05/20/23 at 04:03:55

This is how it's setup at the moment to give you an idea of space.

Screenshot_20230520-210159.png
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 05/21/23 at 01:55:36

Today I purchased an air filter that Ill try to make work. Its much larger than motorcycle filters but Ill have to ditch the airbox I was using for electrics.

Today I went for a 30-minute ride and used a PVC tube and 2 layers of nylon stocking material as a makeshift filter. No this is not ideal and not something I will do again. I just really had the itch for a ride today and wanted to make sure it would work.

Acceleration was great. On the way home I rode it a little harder and found slight stuttering at WOT as it neared the top of the rev range in each gear. This is NOTHING like the issue it had with the severe bogging. It would accelerate, stutter a little then keep accelerating and stutter a little more

It topped out at 130kmph at was sputtering a little. Maybe its the stock needle settings or the 155 jetting?  

Im curious as to what the top speed in each gear of my 4 speed would be. Riding it hard, Id get to around 70kmph in 2nd, and third would get to around 100kmph

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #57 - 05/21/23 at 03:24:39

I guess you could dumb the thing down to accomodate the restrictive filter but that sure seems like a waste of a cam, hi-comp piston and free flowing exhaust.  Speaking of free-flowing exhaust, could you provide pictures of your exhaust so we can see if that could possibly be causing things to back up?

Installing a smaller main jet might eliminate the slight stuttering at high rpm, but why invest in the piston and cam if you intend to strangle the engine?

This is a K&N RD-0710 clamped directly on to the stock carb.  It's five inches long.  The RD-0700 is four inches long.  Based on your photos, it looks like it might possibly fit your bike.  You might have to trim a bit off your airbox.  I don't see a battery in the way.

Stock_Carb_Fitup.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #58 - 05/21/23 at 03:26:21

You can see that there is nothing on the filter that will interfere with the oval air entry in the mouth of the carb.

Stock_Carb_No_Problem.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #59 - 05/21/23 at 03:28:15

This is one of lancer's Uni Filters clamped directly onto a stock carb.  It has a slight bend in the rubber spigot that will allow you to angle the filter slightly to suit your installation.

Uni_on_Stk_Carb.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 02:49:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.