Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering (Read 490 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering
Reply #90 - 05/23/23 at 18:58:13

The brass needle jet is numbered

X-6

Compress_20230524_115633_3055.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #91 - 05/24/23 at 03:38:28

Progress.  Thanks for those pics of the air bleed and needle jet.  So, now we know you have a 5C17 needle, X-6 needle jet, and a main air bleed that is fairly small (it looks similar to mine but a measurement is in order).  Very interesting info.

The parts fiche shows that the US Models came with a 5C16 needle and a X-8 needle jet from 1986 through 1995.  Then, from 1996 through 2019 the US models were delivered with a 5C39 needle and a X-7 needle jet.

There are some confusing aspects to the fiche in that the needles are identified as 5C39 from 1996 through 2009, and are identified as 5C17 from 2011 through 2017, and not identified at all for 2018 & 2019.  But all of the needles from 1996 through 2019 have exactly the same part number (13383-24C40).  I have one of those needles hermetically sealed in the original plastic package, and it has a genuine Suzuki label with the part number 13383-24C40.  You can clearly see 5C39 embossed on the needle.  So, the US delivered early models used a 5C16 needle, and the late models used a 5C39 needle.

The only difference between the 5C16 and the 5C39 is the number of grooves for the eClip.  The 5C16 has three grooves, the 5C39 has only one groove.  The tapers and diameters are the same.  

Since it appears that the 5C17 and the 5C39 are the same (they have the same part number), I'm gonna take a leap of faith and say your 5C17 needle is essentially the same as my 5C39.

Now the interesting part.  Mikuni needle jets are identified by a letter followed by a number.  The numbers range in size from 0 to 9.  Zero being the smallest in that jet configuration, and 9 being the largest.  You X-6 designation indicates that your needle jet is one size smaller than a late model US LS650, and two sizes smaller than an early model US LS650.  On the US bikes, they leaned out the jetting on the late models, but your early model has a leaner setup than a US late model.  That seems odd.

Is there any chance that your carb, or the parts currently in your carb, are from a LS400?

If your main air bleed is .024", I suggest you procure a needle jet for a late model US LS650.  You want part number 09494-00861.  Use that needle jet in conjunction with your 5C17 needle, or procure a new 5C39 needle, part number 13383-24C40.  Using the X-6 needle jet you currently have will only aggravate what looks like a lean condition.  Your plug is really white.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #92 - 05/24/23 at 03:48:34

You are in Australia.  Do I have that correct?

I have seen several posts on this forum pertaining to either Australia or New Zealand, where the LS carbs were found with slide limiters.  The bikes were delivered with these plastic tubes that prevented the slide from lifting all the way.  Seemed as if someone was trying to limit top speed and power.  Those carbs might have been delivered with a X-6 needle jet.  I tried to find a parts fiche for a LS400, but I'm just not skilled enough with Google.  Anyone have any idea what this X-6 needle jet is all about?  Anyone able to access a parts fiche for the LS400?  Anyone know what needle jet the LS400 used?

This is a picture of one of those slide limiters.

Slide_Stop_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #93 - 05/24/23 at 03:50:34

This shows how the limiter stops the slide from lifting all the way.

Slide_Stop_Comparison_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #94 - 05/24/23 at 04:05:24

Regarding the Cherry Bomb, I don't have an actual vid of the modified muffler, but I do have a vid of how the muffler effectively attenuates the sound.  I placed the Cherry Bomb over the outlet of a Mac Muffler.  The Mac muffler is a straight through design with a louvered steel baffle.  No glass wool, just a louvered baffle.  It's an obnoxious muffler.  Placing the Cherry Bomb over the end of the Mac muffler really reduced the noise.  It filtered out most of the high-frequency rat-tat-tat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U91BRWUc6s

I thought it sounded pretty good, so I made a baffle for the Cherry Bomb just to see how good it might work.  With the baffle, the air flow was about the same as a Harley Dyna muffler.  It had a nice mellow sound and was quiet.  The sound was similar to the recording above, but a bit less volume.

This gives you an idea of how the baffle fits in the muffler.  The design is scaled down version of the LCGP mufflers I've been running.

CBomb_Baffle_Installation_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #95 - 05/24/23 at 17:35:23

Rode 300kms. Only minore puttering and hesitation at high revs again. Stock needle reinstalled.

Bike reached 140kmph easily. A couple of little rich running moments as I could smell it. Maybe the needle got stuck due to the crappy broken  spacer. Got 240kms out of a tank.

Here is the plug

Compress_20230525_103146_6615.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #96 - 05/24/23 at 17:36:37

Another angle.
Most of the soot on the inside is from using the other needle the other day. It was running very rich then and I just wiped off the electrode portion before the big ride.

Compress_20230525_103146_6791.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #97 - 05/26/23 at 15:40:22

So the bike did a total of 720kms over 2 days. It ran really good
Will need to buy a new needle for the jet. I will also try a bigger main jet this week.

« Last Edit: 05/28/23 at 04:09:18 by Moarpower »  
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #98 - 05/28/23 at 03:34:00

Moarpower wrote on 05/18/23 at 03:05:29:
First I just cut away material from the filter, then I changed it used a larger silicon tube on the carb, put a piece of pipe into that that cleared the hole, and then clamped the filter to the pipe.

Cutting away the rubber material will stick obstruct flow, get the correct filter!

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #99 - 05/28/23 at 03:51:27

I took Dragbikemikes advice on what filter to get. The one you are trolling me about on Facebook is too small. I tried it and it bogged down bad.
Like I said earlier, I have a hard PVC sleeve over my carb intake. It is impossible for me to block my oval port.  The bikes running extremely well now. Just need to fine tune the jet sizing. Have done 900kms since Saturday

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #100 - 05/28/23 at 04:27:20

Many of us run the RC-1250 air filter, it’s been proven to work.
Fix it right the first time around

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #101 - 05/28/23 at 04:39:51

I had over 15 Savages, listen to me

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #102 - 05/28/23 at 04:42:26

Yoshi wrote on 05/28/23 at 04:39:51:
I had over 15 Savages, listen to me

It wouldn't matter if you designed the savage for Suzuki. DBMs advice on the larger filter solved my issue so I don't need to use your suggested, smaller filter at this stage. I paid 40 AUD for the 1250 and it didn't do the trick. Went with a much larger one and my bogging issues are now gone. I'm sorry.im not sure why you think I need to go down in filter size. Can you explain ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 23:25:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.