Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another broken tank bracket (Read 111 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Another broken tank bracket
05/09/23 at 17:41:27

Seems like it's always something. Vibrations broke one of the belt guard mounts a long time ago. And destroyed my license plate.
Just put in the new battery and rode it to work. Heading home I heard a loud sound with every bump. Found the tank bracket has given up.
I do have the front of the seat and the back of the tank raised so I reckon that contributed to the stress.
Irritating to have this stuff happen right at the start of the best riding weather.

I've heard varying reports on the success of JB Weld and finding a local brazer/welder will be time consuming when ya work M-F 7-5. I suppose I'm lucky since there's no gas leak. That I know of. Haven't removed the tank yet.

Any of our guys in the Denver area have a welder to recommend?

tank_bracket.JPG

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: Another broken tank bracket
Reply #1 - 05/10/23 at 10:33:09

I know a guy who says he can stick weld it for me. Any thoughts on that? I asked if there's a way to weld a strip of steel to join them rather than relying completely on the rod, but it's not my area of expertise.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/10/23 at 11:35:39

People don't respect the strength of a well done brazing job.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 05/10/23 at 12:25:36

Is brazing something that can be done by someone without experience? Using a plumbing type torch? You say "well done".
Like I said, not my area of expertise.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 05/10/23 at 12:37:57

In 2015 KennyG forewarned that when I lifted the back of the tank to match the lifted seat it could be putting undue stress on the tank bracket. darn.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1441568178/8#8

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/10/23 at 15:57:33

Toc , I have a torch, IDK if the Mapp gas with the blowtorch will allow proper focusing of the heat. I'm pretty sure not. It's really not hard. It's like soldering,only hotter. I think it's better at not cracking from vibration. Like everything else, preparation is crucial. Paying attention to edges. A radius can be helpful. Depends on the location.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/10/23 at 16:10:22

I'm not there. IDK how good that welder is. I'm not saying you should have it brazed. Just saying I would consider it. Welding might be the answer. Some fine frames have been brazed and they don't fall apart.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/11/23 at 16:13:17

I just attempted this fix with JB weld, then PC-7 after the JB weld failed. neither product was able to fix this to any lasting degree. I think having it either braised/welded is the only way to go given the nature of the break, the nature of the material, and the inability to actually compress/clamp the epoxy and part together, preventing strong adhesion.

My plan is actually to replace the tank with a sportster tank mounted to channel riveted to the frame. Not a fan of the stock tank.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 05/14/23 at 08:12:27

The bracket broke right at the tank. When (if?) I can get this welded, does it go at about 90 degrees at that point? It feels like the edges want to "lock" there.

gas_tank_bracket_fail.jpg

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #9 - 05/20/23 at 09:19:18

The main key to any welding/brazing operation is surface prep.  All of the surfaces in the HAT (heat affected zone) must be thoroughly cleaned.  I can't stress enough that it must be CLEAN.  Once you have it cleaned thoroughly, clean it again.  No paint, no oils, no dirt, no fuel residue.  I certified four of my welders for aerospace welding, and we were welding on Patriot missile parts for Raytheon.  We had to go through bend tests, tensile strength tests, x-ray tests, to prove our weld processes were producing the correct fusion and penetration.  If it were my bike, I would get another tank.  But that's just me.  Another tank may be cheaper than having that bracket PROPERLY welded by a professional that knows what he is doing.  It sounds like raising the tank for looks may not be such a good idea, either.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 05/24/23 at 10:01:01

I've reached out to a few welders but getting quotes for ~$200. I guess it's better than a full replacement. The tanks I'm finding online are in bad shape and way overpriced.

IP Logged
TheSneeze
Serious Thumper

Northern Nevada
Reply #11 - 05/25/23 at 11:29:53

I have two tanks available.  Both are not pristine by any means - dents, bad paint, etc.  You pay shipping and I can send you one.  I can send detailed picks if you are interested.  Won't cost you much, but the labor to fix it up.

Every twenty minute job is a stripped thread away from being a three day ordeal.

'87 LS650h Savage Street Tracker
'86 LS650g Savage (parts bike)
'81 Kawasaki KZ750e ELR tribute
  IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #12 - 05/25/23 at 14:58:16

If the paint is still nice. A good welder can fix that thing up good. Just do everyone a favor and clean out the tank really good. 💥. I bet the sneeze had those welds tested on the machines and or coupons my company makes. Lol.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 12:49:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another broken tank bracket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.