Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering (Read 496 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering
Reply #15 - 05/17/23 at 22:05:35

DragBikeMike wrote on 05/14/23 at 16:21:41:
Moarpower, can you post some photos of your installation so we can see exactly what you are wrestling with?

You mentioned that you are running the slide needle clip in the "top position" with no washers.  Is there any chance your needle is being pulled out of the needle jet when the slide is in the uppermost position?  Does your slide needle have any markings on it?   Markings that would identify the needle, like 5C16 or 5C39?  Is it possible your slide needle is some sort of aftermarket part, like from a carb kit?

The needle was marked 5C17. It only had a single slot. The issue was present only after I changed the filter length but it could just be a coincidence.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/17/23 at 22:47:20

Here is the needle that was in the bike.

Screenshot_20230518-1459242.png
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/17/23 at 22:51:06

Picture of the slide. Worn or still good? It's moving fine

Compress_20230518_155009_9578.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/17/23 at 22:53:20

This is the current filter.
I added some pipe and silicon tube to move it away from the oval hole of the carb. The issue was still present.

I then taped off a large portion on the filter to see if it was a lean issue, no change.

It was running well with the same filters just a longer runner that cleared the factory battery tray.
« Last Edit: 05/18/23 at 02:23:01 by Moarpower »  

Compress_20230518_155008_8896.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/17/23 at 23:31:46

Spark plug is pretty black

Compress_20230518_163112_2934.jpg
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/18/23 at 00:22:41

https://youtube.com/shorts/eRu1vGn6Ams?feature=share

Here is a link to to a video of it running under wider throttle conditions.

Hard to hear over the wind noise but you can definitely hear the sputter im referring to .

Could it be something like the float, or maybe a spark issue ?
Or could.it really be just the shorter intake tube ? This doesn't make sense to me.tho as many ar running filters directly on the carb.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/18/23 at 02:22:30

I need this running by Saturday 😞 any help would be greatly appreciated. Tomorrow I'll change the needle back to how it was and see if I can make a longer intake runner again. Hopefully that will help but I'm not optimistic

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 05/18/23 at 02:32:28

Your air cleaner is too small.  There is less surface area than a stock flat-panel filter.  The small filter doesn't provide enough air at WOT.  It will cause a rich mixture.

Your spark plug is black.  That indicates a rich mixture.  It's fouled.  You need to replace it.  You need to be sure that the fouled plug doesn't cause misfire.

When you remove the spacer from the top of the slide needle, and you don't replace it with something (like half a spacer or several washers), you set up a condition where the needle can be raised entirely clear of the needle jet.  On this particular carburetor, the slide needle controls fuel flow even at WOT.  You can add more taper to the end of the needle, but raising it completely out of the needle jet will open a flood gate.  You need a few washers on that needle, or half a spacer.

That thing sounds like it's goin grossly rich as soon as the slide goes wide open.  A 155 main jet will not cause that.  I've run jets over #200 with a stock needle and it still runs clean at WOT.  So, you are either smothering the thing with that little air filter, or you are pulling the slide needle completely out of the needle jet.

It's also possible that your main air bleed system is obstructed.  It's a very small jet.  The passage behind the jet could also be plugged, or the emulsion holes in the needle jet could be plugged.

Do a quick & dirty test.  Install a new spark plug and remove your air filter (hose, plastic tube, filter, all of it).  Run it without the air filter.  Get it started and rev up the engine.  Observe the slide while you rev it up in neutral.  Make sure the slide opens all the way.  Then ride the bike.  Does it run OK without that little air filter?  Does it run better or worse?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 05/18/23 at 02:40:34

This is your main air bleed.  Make sure it's not plugged up.  Also make sure that the passage between the main air bleed and the needle jet is clear.  Remove the needle jet and blow carb cleaner through the main air bleed to verify that the jet and passage are not plugged up.

Main_Air_Bleed_2_002.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/18/23 at 02:41:48

Hi Mike. This is the size of the filter.on the bike. The photo I showed just had a lot of the area taped off to see if it changed the issue but it didn't. Or at least not in a way that I could notice.
This is the same filter that I had on with the longer intake runner and it was running ok.
I also tried with one of those foam unifilters and it did the same thing.

I agree that it seems to be a rich issue. The spacer was originally on the needle but it was old and brittle (I'm referring to the plastic, brown colored thing that was on the very top of the needle)

Could it also be a spark issue ?  I cleaned up the sparkplug with a little carb cleaner and all the carbon fell straight off.

PXL_20230514_080702648_MP.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #25 - 05/18/23 at 02:45:59

The main air bleed provides air correction to the needle jet.  The needle jet has eight small holes that admit the air and mix it with the fuel to form an emulsion.  Make sure the eight small holes are all clear.  These are the emulsion holes.  See how you can run a small wire through the holes.

Emulsion_holes_markup.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 05/18/23 at 02:46:21

I'll get a new plug and do the test tomorrow

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 05/18/23 at 02:52:27

You need to change the plug to rule out any sort of ignition related misfire.  It needs a new plug so put a new plug in.  Do the quick & dirty check with the air filter removed entirely.  Make sure the slide lifts all the way, and then ride it.  See if it will pull cleanly without that filter.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 05/18/23 at 02:56:16

DragBikeMike wrote on 05/18/23 at 02:45:59:
The main air bleed provides air correction to the needle jet.  The needle jet has eight small holes that admit the air and mix it with the fuel to form an emulsion.  Make sure the eight small holes are all clear.  These are the emulsion holes.  See how you can run a small wire through the holes.

I have replacement for the needle jet I can put in the carb tomorrow. How is that part removed ?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 05/18/23 at 02:59:28

How did you verify that nothing is obstructing the oval port in the mouth of the carb?  When you run without the filter you will be sure that the oval port isn't obstructed.

Once you get the thing to accept full throttle, you can set up a proper air filter and dial it in.  No sense trying to fine tune it until you get it to take WOT.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 03:26:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.