Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering (Read 490 times)
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering
Reply #30 - 05/18/23 at 03:05:29

First I just cut away material from the filter, then I changed it used a larger silicon tube on the carb, put a piece of pipe into that that cleared the hole, and then clamped the filter to the pipe.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #31 - 05/18/23 at 03:05:41

To remove the needle jet first remove the slide assembly.  Then remove the main jet and main jet washer (you do have a main jet washer, correct).  Then use a soft punch and lightly drive out the needle jet.

Keep in mind that the needle jet has an orientation pin in the carb body.  When you replace the needle jet, the slot in the jet must align with the pin.

Is your replacement a genuine Suzuki part?  Is your existing needle jet brass or stainless steel?  Please post picture when you get it out.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #32 - 05/18/23 at 03:13:40

"First I just cut away material from the filter, then I changed it used a larger silicon tube on the carb, put a piece of pipe into that that cleared the hole, and then clamped the filter to the pipe."

Not sure I understand what you did, but it sounds as if you simply blocked off the oval hole with that pipe when you inserted it into the silicone hose.  Also, I don't think silicone is suitable for use in this application.  I don't think silicone is good around gasoline.  Maybe I'm wrong.  You might wanna look into that.

Anyway, if you remove all that parphenalia and run it without the filter & tube & hose, you will be able to rule all that stuff out.  Quick & dirty.  New plug, then run without filter.  Make sure slide lifts all the way.  See if it will take WOT.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 05/18/23 at 03:16:07

Thanks Mike.

The main jet has a brass washer.
The existing and replacement parts are brass. The replacement just came in a rebuild kit. The one on the bike now is the original.

There was also an alignment spacer fitted to the top of the needle. It was a brown plastic. Is that needed ? As it is brittle and broken.

IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 05/18/23 at 03:21:53

This is the replacement kit I used.
I used my existing jets and needle jet and needle until today when I used the replacement needle to adjust the clip height. I added a taper to the new needle. The spring that came in the rebuild kit was also too small in diameter to use

Compress_20230518_202013_3964.jpg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #35 - 05/18/23 at 12:12:00

Wow!  Moarpower that is a lot of info.  I think you are changing too many things all at once.  For now, I suggest you stick with my suggestion to change the spark plug, remove the air filter, and run it.  Then let us know what happened.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #36 - 05/18/23 at 12:14:44

Regarding your carburetor kit.  I can tell at a glance that it's got some bogus stuff.  Review this post.  It shows what to look for in a carb kit.  Your kit has a bogus mixture screw.  The post gives you all the gory details.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1641171298

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #37 - 05/18/23 at 12:27:54

"I used my existing jets and needle jet and needle until today when I used the replacement needle to adjust the clip height. I added a taper to the new needle. "

How exactly did you add that taper?  Where on the needle did you start the taper?  Do you have measurements of your taper?  Can you post a sketch?  What sort of measuring instrument did you use?

This is a sketch of a modified stock needle.  Note that the needle is plotted out in increments (20mm, 30mm, 40mm, 45mm, 50mm, tip).  The modified taper starts at 45mm and runs to the tip.  The diameters are given in one ten-thousandth of an inch.  That's four decimal places.  If you don't have a micrometer with a vernier, you can ruin the needle in a heartbeat.

Did your WOT problem start when you installed the modified slide needle?  If so, maybe you put too much taper on that needle.

Modified_5C16__Needle_3-groove_002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #38 - 05/18/23 at 12:31:09

"The spring that came in the rebuild kit was also too small in diameter to use"

Where are you trying to install the spring?  Are you using it on the mixture screw, or on the slide needle?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #39 - 05/18/23 at 12:33:45

"I used my existing jets and needle jet and needle until today when I used the replacement needle to adjust the clip height."

Did it run lousy at WOT with all the existing jets and slide needle, or did the WOT problem start after you replaced jets & needle?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Moarpower

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 05/18/23 at 12:46:51

The issues started before replacing any parts besides the intake length. I did notice a slight stutter once in a while at higher throttle ranges. But these running issues only presented when I eliminated the intake pipe.

All of the replacement parts have been for troubleshooting this issue. This includes the tapered slide needle. I followed the diagram when adding the taper

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #41 - 05/18/23 at 12:54:07

"There was also an alignment spacer fitted to the top of the needle. It was a brown plastic. Is that needed ? As it is brittle and broken."

That plastic spacer is critical to proper performance.  When you remove the spacer, it sets the slide needle 3mm higher than the factory setting.  In the world of slide needles, that's a lot.  If you are running a needle with multiple clip grooves, and you place the clip in the bottom groove, and then you install the needle without the plastic spacer, the needle is now probably about 5mm higher (richer) than the factory setting.  And then, if that needle has an extra taper sanded on, you are adding a phenominal amount of fuel at WOT.  Sounds familiar.

I'm having trouble following all your changes.  Did you/are you running a three-groove needle with the clip in the bottom groove and a modified taper and no spacer?

This is a picture of the stock configuration.  The stack from top down is:

Plastic Spacer

e-Clip

Washer

Spring

Is that how you are setting up your slide needle?

Needle_Stack_Stock.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #42 - 05/18/23 at 12:55:52

This is what the needle looks like when all the parts are on it.

Needle_Stack.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #43 - 05/18/23 at 12:59:32

Are you making sure the slide orifice holes are not covered up by the needle retainer plate?  The plate can be installed upside down.  It will obstruct the orifice holes.  When it is installed correctly the holes will be fully open.  Like this.

Slide_Orifice_Holes_002.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #44 - 05/18/23 at 13:04:30

I know that's a lot of info.  Just review the stuff I posted and answer the questions.  For now, keep your focus on the quick & dirty test.  New plug, air filter off, run.  

Let us know the results.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 16:39:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shortened air-filter pipe leads to sputtering

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.