ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 2023
Reply #105 - 06/19/23 at 09:12:04

MMRanch wrote on 06/14/23 at 16:23:41:
sometime in July ?

Today is the 19th of July.....the forecast for home and TN/NC is rain all week and half of next week.

I could travel June 26-30 which are weekdays and a bit into July on the weekend of July 1 & 2......not sure how busy the area will be right before July 4th.  Perhaps folks will be down there taking advantage of the Tuesday holiday and vacation on the July 1-9 dates.

Once we get past that I will not be able to travel until late July/August, as Deb and I are going to Michigan July 7th - 20th.

Does any dates June 26 - July 2 work?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #106 - 06/19/23 at 20:25:02

All this work keeps getting in the way of my vacation times !   Embarrassed

Last week I was helping the guys building Anders's house and couldn't do hay like I wanted/needed to !
This week I've still been helping the same fellers and it's rainy all week anyway.
Next week , I'll have to do hay if the weather cooperates.  
Then 4th of July week will have the roads all clogged up.
After that I should be free for a while ?  But that's to far out to be sure ?
I'm Blessed with a lot Fencing to do anytime there is nothing else to do also.   But the cows do buy me a new motorcycle once in a while !

Does it ever end ?   Huh
I've been retired for 16 years now and the elusive "hammock in the back yard" gets further and further away every year !   Surely I'm not the only one with this same problem ?  

Maybe a Hooligan Run on the Park-Way in the last of July ?    Undecided

I'm down to one bike for a while , but the Meteor did a trip to Hiawassee and Suches just fine the weekend before last.   It ran off and left Kent on his Sportster once we got to the twisties and ran down the Interstate at 70mph just fine for 100 miles each way.   It seems to just get better all the time.  Wink    
I'm liking those BT46's just fine too !    Sometimes , I wonder if I really need to get a Super Meteor ?   Huh    But I'm still wanting one !!

So Dave ,
Are ya'll going to the "Upper Peninsula" area ?

Here's another idea ,   barber Motorsport museum in Oct. for a long weekend.    
Hay Versey , If I get a campsite (20'x20') then you could leave your truck at my house and ride the 150 miles to Birmingham too , I've never been there but the online story sound good.   Vintage motorsports weekend.   ?
Same for any of you other Savage Guys ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #107 - 06/20/23 at 03:32:21

The Barber Vintage weekend is fun.....but really busy and hectic.  The campground at the event site is like being at Woodstock - crowded and really noisy.....I doubt I could get any sleep there.  I have been there 3 times and stayed at a hotel in town and got a good nights sleep.

The times I was there we attended on Friday and Saturday...and left the area on Sunday.  The museum is overly crowded during the event - but it sure is a nice place to visit and get out of the heat and into the AC!

The swap meet areas are huge and take nearly a full day to walk through if you are looking at each booth.  The practice and races go on most of the day and there are lots of good viewing areas....there is a tram that can move you around to the different sites.  I have never been able to see the Trials contest and I have only been able to see one motocross race......there is just too much going on to see it all.

It is likely that camping is sold out long in advance.....I am not sure. The time I have gone my friend got the tickets and arranged for the hotel far in advance - so I don't know how hard it is to get tickets at the event site.  We just had to go to "Will Call" and pick up our stuff that included wrist bands that get you past the gates quickly.....there are long lines for those who are paying when they arrive.

It is a great event - but I do believe it requires advance planning if you want to stay in the area or campground.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #108 - 06/20/23 at 10:49:39

Wow !

Maybe a nice ride in the mountains sounds better , and a trip to Barber's should happen in mid summer ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #109 - 06/20/23 at 17:45:26

Tent camping spots are still available, they are $70 for the period of 11AM on Thursday, October 5th until 10AM on Monday, October 9th.  The camping spots are 20x20 and the vehicle needs to be parked within that spot.

General Admission is $65 for the full 3 days, $45 for Fri or Sat, and $30 for Sunday.  The admission does not include the museum which is an additional $40 for a 3 day pass or $30 for a single day.

It is definitely a fun event and worth going to see - I just don't know about tent camping there.  There are no trees in the campground and I have no idea where the bathrooms or showers are.....in this photo it looks like the bathrooms are the white trailers and porta potties in the bottom left corner of the attached photo.  (I believe there are showers in the pit area.....I don't know if campers are allowed to use them or only the racers).

Barber.PNG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #110 - 06/21/23 at 17:53:02

I found this :

We would be in lot "B" , with 4 bathroom and one shower house.   I went to Bike week in 2014 and the showers were ... a trailer with 3 showers on each end  women one end / men on the other.  They were private stalls and the hot water came from a big black bag in the front yard laying in the sun.   The showers were "pull rope for water" style - it was like being in the military again !  Grin
It was warm enough ...  Wink

After learning the details , thinking on the crowded campground and the line to get into the port-a-pot's  I'm not sure I even want to go anymore.

A ride up the parkway on a sunny week seems much better.  

That last ride to Suches was fun and I'm glad I went ,
But
There was a Bicycle thing going on and Bicycles everywhere , There were also a lot of State Troopers and County Patrol making sure those "HOOLIGANS" running up the back side of BLOOD-MOUNTAIN were behaving them selves .  
So , Kent and me just stopped at the top and walked around the store , then down the trail a bit , then went back down the North side to his house .   It was all good but there wasn't the usual Hooligan Run up the back side of the Mountain stuff.    
So
Sometime this summer I'm going to need to go back for a Suches ride.

« Last Edit: 06/21/23 at 19:09:24 by MMRanch »  

2022-Vintage-Festival-Map2838-1024x744.jpg

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #111 - 06/22/23 at 03:31:05

When I went to Barber I went with an experienced fellow....he showed me the comfortable way to do it.

We stay at this Holiday Inn.  It is about 15 minutes away from the track, and there is a "mostly" rural road that can get you back and forth to the track.  The last 1/2 mile is on a very busy roadway - but you are rewarded with plenty of good food choices for dinner.  Breakfast is at the hotel for free.....Lunch is at the track and not very cheap (soft drinks are around $4 and burgers/pizza is around $10).  The cost for the hotel has gone up in recent years and is likely around $65 per person each night if you split the room with a buddy.

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/birmingham/bhmtb/hoteldeta...

So when you add it all up, $65 for admission for 3 days, $130 -$195 for 2-3 nights hotel, $30 for lunch/dinner/drinks each day.....the trip is going to cost about $400 for 3 days.....plus for me there is 1,000 miles of travel that takes a minimum of 2 days (another expense to factor in).

For me it is a far more rewarding trip than Sturgis......you get to see vintage motorcycles and incredible racing at a race track that is wonderfully maintained - not just a bunch of bikers behaving badly in a small western town!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #112 - 06/22/23 at 05:02:50

Yes ,   Roll Eyes   I've got a few dollars ... but ... I don't want to spend them both at the same time !  Wink

Unless I'm buying a new bike that is !!  Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #113 - 06/22/23 at 07:22:36

MMRanch wrote on 06/22/23 at 05:02:50:
Yes ,   Roll Eyes   I've got a few dollars ... but ... I don't want to spend them both at the same time !  Wink

Mapquest says the track is about 2.5 hours from your house.  That makes it entirely possible for you to drive there in the morning and back home in the evening....or spend 2 days at the track with only one night at a hotel or more "user friendly" campground near the track.

If you want to go.....you can do it without spending a bunch of money.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #114 - 06/22/23 at 17:57:42

Yea , I'm just kidding about buying a two dollar motorcycle .   Grin

I should look for a place near Barber's and go visit it one day.  
But
I think I'd rather do another ride to Suches durning the week after I get the hay in the barn.
Smiley

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #115 - 08/18/23 at 17:50:10

My neighbor Bruce, Stewmills and I are considering a trip to Deals Gap for the Fiddies 4 Life races on September 16th.

We would likely arrive for riding on Friday the 15th, then ride again on the 16th and get to Deals Gap in time for the races that night.

Anyone else interested?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrHYDD3TOVo

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #116 - 08/23/23 at 19:02:35

That should be a funny little race to watch !  

I'd like to go with you fellers but Anders is getting married on the 15th , and the wedding is at our house .   I'll be picking up from a 150 people yard party while ya'll are running the Dragon .  
But , I'll be grinning when I think of you fellers !  Wink

Hay Stew , did you ever get that Ninja 400 ?

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #117 - 08/24/23 at 13:51:17

MMRanch wrote on 08/23/23 at 19:02:35:
I'll be picking up from a 150 people yard party while ya'll are running the Dragon .  
But , I'll be grinning when I think of you fellers !  Wink

Hay Stew , did you ever get that Ninja 400 ?  

You have just gotten too busy the last couple of years.

Stew did not get a Ninja 400....he got a Honda NC700X.
https://www.cycleworld.com/2012/10/18/honda-nc700x-road-test/

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #118 - 08/24/23 at 19:18:05

Yea , this retirement life is sure hard to deal with !  

Maybe after the wedding my life will get a little easier ?

Ya'll have fun  Smiley .

That NC700X looks like a very sensible machine ,

Dave didn't you have one of them one time ?

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #119 - 08/25/23 at 04:22:01

MMRanch wrote on 08/24/23 at 19:18:05:
That NC700X looks like a very sensible machine ,

Dave didn't you have one of them one time ?

Nope - I had a Honda NT700....it was a VTwin with saddlebags built into the back.  It was a nice bike but the built in luggage was a bit limited in space and they could not be removed.  Even with the wider saddlebag covers the space was not sufficient for Deb and I when riding together.

The NC700 is half a Honda Fit engine.  It is a parallel twin that has the cylinder leaned way forward.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 10:25:06

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2023

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.