YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 2023
Reply #75 - 05/14/23 at 08:54:04

What a weekend....I need a nap!

We left on Thursday night around 8PM - much later than I would have liked - but my neighbor has a real job and he did the best he could.  We had a 30' long RV and a 6x10 trailer behind with both bikes inside.

We were on I-75 going about 60mph and around 10PM and traffic was pretty thick for that late at night, and a female deer ran right at us from the right side of the road.  She saw the massive RV headed at her, and she tried to stop and turn around.....she slipped on the asphalt and her feet came out from under her.  She ended up flat on the pavement on her side as the right front tire contacted her squarely......followed immediately by the dual rear tires - she was quite a speed bump!  We pulled over and looked - we had disassembled the dear and scattered deer parts all over the undercarriage and onto the front of the trailer....but there was not a single dent, scrape or damage to the RV!

For some reason we never pulled over and we drove all night and arrived at Two Wheels of Suches at 4AM, and went to sleep.  We woke up around 7 and it was a heavy and wet fog....and the weather forecast was not promising.  We decided that staying in Suches was not a good idea - we headed north and ended up in Franklin around 10AM as the clouds were dispersing and we could see some blue sky.  We parked at a community center near the fairgrounds and unloaded the bikes and started riding.  We went down 28 to the Highlands, and then continued south on 28 and rode a few miles on Warwoman toward Clayton.  We then turned around and rode back up the Highland and got into a light misty rain.  We then rode Canada Road and by the time we got to Lake Toxaway the weather was drier.  We then rode back to Franklin and loaded up the bikes and drove north to Cherokee as Bruce wanted to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway on Saturday.

When we arrived in Cherokee we parked in a public parking lot near the downtown shopping area that was pretty much deserted.  It appears about 1/3rd of the buildings are vacant, and all of the shops were closed on a Friday evening.  We ate dinner at a very nice restaurant and spent the night in the RV in the parking lot.  When we got up it was very foggy and we unloaded the bikes and put on a bit warmer gear than we had the day before....the weather forecast was for all day clouds and possibly rain.  We got on the Blue Ridge Parkway and pretty soon the weather started improving.  The clouds slowly dispersed and blue skies appeared.  Temperatures were in the high 60's at the bottom of the mountains and high 50's on top.  Traffic was very light and we had no problems going 40-50mph and we were not held up by any traffic.  The parking areas had a lot of cars parked for folks hiking - they stayed on the trails and off the Parkway for most of the day.  We went to 276 and rode it down to Brevard and had lunch, then got a tank of 90 octane gasoline without ethanol (more on that for MM later), then we rode 215 back up to the Blue Ridge.  Both 276 and 215 are wonderful little twisty roads that are a lot of fun (215 has a little less traffic).  We then rode the Blue Ridge to Maggie Valley in hopes of going to the Wheels of Time motorcycle museum....they were closing in 15 minutes when we got there and let us take a quick walk through for free.  We then rode back to Cherokee.  On that uphill ride from Brevard up 215, and then then the 50mph ride Blue Ridge to Maggie Valley and to Cherokee my neighbor got 95.5 mpg on his Honda CB500F using the pure gasoline!

When we got back to Cherokee we loaded up the bikes and headed out....we got home at 2AM Sunday morning.  I would have preferred to stop somewhere and sleep and continue in the morning - evidently Bruce wanted to be home for Mother's Day.

This was a really great time to be riding in that area, as the tourists were not yet dominant on the roads.....we had absolutely no issue with traffic (even on 28 between Franklin and the Highlands which is clogged with tourists in the summer).  The only bad issue about riding down in that area in May - is there is a lot of wet weather in the forecast!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #76 - 05/16/23 at 07:39:18

Wow that is impressive !  

It sounds like ya'll had a great time even if the weather could have been better .    Wink

Honda is putting that same engine on the CL500 too .   If only they could put it on a perty bike.   That funky looking headlight or the Flat-Black stuff on their other machines just hurts my eyes to look at.    It is nice to ride a machine that returns those kind of fuel millage numbers .  Cool  If the paint and front tire on that 500 Rebel wasn't so darn ugly I'd try one of them out.   They look like they would sit nice !    
But
Maybe someday they will get around to doing a "CB"  that takes it's looks from the 1960-1980's , maybe they will put a larger fuel tank on it than they did back then too ?

Yea I know I'm stuck in the past ... but ... I'm happy to be where I am !!
 Wink

I'm still planning on taking the Guzzi to Suches campground that second weekend of June.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #77 - 05/19/23 at 03:58:28

We really had a nice time on the Blue Ridge Parkway....and 215/276 leading down from the Parkway to the bottom of the mountain.  The tourist season has not yet started and traffic was incredibly light on all the roads.  We never had to pass anyone going slow and there were no RV or Campers on the parkway....we could maintain 50 mph with no problem (speed limit is 45mph in most areas and we did see one officer watching to see that we respected that limit).  We should go back and stay in the Waynesville area again and visit......it appears the Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground is still out of business and has not recovered from the flooding in the fall of 2021, they have not posted anything on Facebook since December 2022 when they still did not have a bridge.  I suspect they will have a difficult time getting a bridge replacement, as they will likely not get permits to build a small bridge that restricts the flow of water on the Pigeon River (like the old bridge did).  We will need to find another place to stay.  

Yep, the 500 twin would make a great retro bike engine......a modern version of the 60/70's CB 450 would be a great bike.  Back in the day that was the biggest/fastest motorcycle that Honda made.....until the CB750 came out in 1969.

I will see when Deb has us scheduled for a vacation to Michigan.  If the second weekend in June is open I will head to Suches!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #78 - 05/19/23 at 05:09:02

Yep, the 500 twin would make a great retro bike engine......a modern version of the 60/70's CB 450 would be a great bike.  Back in the day that was the biggest/fastest motorcycle that Honda made.....until the CB750 came out in 1969.  

Yes , What Dave said !  Smiley

Maybe they would loose all that Blacked Out Ugly stuff , and make a perty bike again with a proper round headlight ?  
or
Better yet ... a 500cc version of the 350 that they make for India ?  Air cooled and all !!   I understand it to make it's HP at 5500 rpm !!!   Wink

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2021/2021-honda-cb350

350Honda.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #79 - 05/19/23 at 17:54:20

There may be hope for the Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground.

I was able to get my Facebook account restored (mixed blessing), and a lady posted a few days ago that she saw that they are building a new bridge.  She posted some photos and it had much bigger headwalls, and that was all that was completed so far.  I suspect that they will be working on the bridge for a couple of months at a minimum.

So....maybe the campground can reopen for next year?

It is a bit weird that the owners of the Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground have not posted anything or provided any updates to their Facebook account or their website.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #80 - 05/20/23 at 05:35:23

Hay ,  we need to go by and see it 'First Hand" !   A little ride on the Blue Ridge is always good anyways.  Smiley
I don't think I've even been on it since that trip where it was so foggy that 25mph was crazy too fast !  Grin

It may be a full "Day-Ride" from Suches to Crusoe ?   I liked the Blue Ridge motorcycle campground every time we went there.   That was the last place I saw that feller from Florida (Old-Rider) and his really neat Ninja-300 .    He was so proud of his Air Force looking bike and it looked really good too.
I also remember the traffic on the weekends up on the Ridge !  That is no place to be on a Saturday !  Tongue

At one time I had the idea that I might bring the DR200 down to Suches to explore some of those "Forrest Roads" .  
But
The DR200 had a slight knock in the motor like a wrist-pin ... maybe ???  and its seat was too short for two , so its gone now.
But
If the Super Meteor thing works out this summer (if they ever get to N.America) then the 350-Meteor might need a new home and I'll need a dual sport again.  
Or
I'll need to put the skid-plate back on the 350 Meteor , get it some dual-sport tires and a bigger rear sprocket for it ?  

It looks like RAIN TODAY ... again ...  :'(

Seems you can make a scrambler out of anything ???  Wink

JOGsNewBike.jpg

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #81 - 05/23/23 at 04:56:00

Deb and I are at Black Rock Mountain State Park - just a few miles north of Clayton, GA.  Deb arranged this camping/motorcycle trip to replace our cancelled trip to Texas.  The campground is small and at the top of a very steep/curvy road....it is nice and peaceful here.  She had a bit of a tough time getting available camping, as the Memorial Holiday is approaching and campgrounds are full for that weekend .  We drove down on Saturday and spent the night at the Cleveland, Tennessee Cracker Barrel parking lot - they allow overnight RV parking for free,  We arrived around 8PM and were the second RV in the lot - by morning there were a total of 5 of us parked in the lot   We then had a nice breakfast at Cracker Barrel and drove the rest of the way on Sunday morning.  We are in the RV and trailered down a motorcycle - the steep curvy hill was a bit of a challenge in the RV with a trailer!

On Sunday afternoon we unloaded the motorcycle and detached the trailer and parked it in a small gravel lot at the camp store, as there was no room for the trailer in our camping spot....we spent the rest of the afternoon just hiking with the dog and getting settled in.

On Monday morning we did hiking and visiting with neighbors and exploring the campground.  In the afternoon we put the dog and cat inside the camper and took off on a motorcycle ride.   We rode east out of Clayton on Warwoman to 28, then rode south on 28 down to South Carolina and went to Walhalla and turned east on 11 over to 130.  We then rode to 130 and went north Lake Toxaway and picked up Canada Road (281) to Tuckesegee, then north on 107 to Sylva, then on 74 and 23 back to Clayton.  (Canada Road is the place where we stopped at Jimmie's Market when Springman, MM, The Hammer and maybe Versy and a few others met the couple from Canada on the big Harley, and we all discovered the curvy road over to the Highlands....where the Black Bear crossed the road in front of us).

The riding temperature was great in the afternoon with 68-74 degrees on the ride.  The overnight temperatures are down in the high 40's/low 50's which might be a bit coolish for sleeping in a tent.  The light traffic is wonderful however, and once out of the towns we pretty much have the roads to ourselves.  The roads are not yet busy with tourists and there are no RV's or camping trailers blocking our progress.  The only slow vehicle we passed yesterday was a truck on a hill that was loaded down with water from a Crystal Geyser bottling plant on Route 130....it was easy getting past him as he lumbered up the mountain grade.

I am starting to believe that the first weeks in June (before Memorial Day) are perfect for riding down here.....if you can find days that it isn't raining.  I don't  believe you can plan the trip long in advance - you need to watch the weather forecast and go when the weather forecast is good....and stay home when the spring rain settles in for several days in a row.  We got lucky as the weather this week is likely going to be dry the entire time we are here!

After this Memorial Day Holiday - I believe the tourist season begins, and the traffic will increase (especially on weekends).

MM:  I warned Stewmills about your plans for Suches in June....he is going to try and come down to annoy us.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #82 - 05/23/23 at 06:28:27

MM:  I warned Stewmills about your plans for Suches in June....he is going to try and come down to annoy us.

That's OK , I'm always ready to be annoyed by Stew ... He's one of my favorite Annoying People !    Wink    Seems he's always ready with that "Well - OK then" annoying grin !  Grin    It seems like there should be more Savages (type people)

If the Guzzi crew show up ??? There might be a campfire we sit in on , I'm bringing a chair just in case ?

I'm glad ya'll are exploring  Black Rock Mountain State Park !   I use-to wonder how you always know your way around places so far away from home !   Smiley    
So
Thank you Deb !   Smiley Smiley

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #83 - 05/23/23 at 12:02:10

“It seems like there should be more Savages (type people).”

I hate to miss such a nice week to ride in such a nice area.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #84 - 05/23/23 at 16:53:33

Lancer You've always got a parking place and a bed over in Lynchburg !

Remember I'm only a half days ride from paradise.   Wink

LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #85 - 05/23/23 at 17:13:33

MMRanch wrote on 05/23/23 at 16:53:33:
Lancer You've always got a parking place and a bed over in Lynchburg !

Remember I'm only a half days ride from paradise.   Wink

I know and I appreciate your heart.
Y’all have space here as well Michael.
Hopefully before long circumstances will allow.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #86 - 05/26/23 at 17:33:40

Deb and i are headed home from Clayton......the Black Rock Mountain State Park campground.  The place was wonderfully peaceful and scenic......about 1/4 of the campsites were occupied during the week - it was the calm before the Labor Day crowds arrived.  We met wonderful people and every night was really peaceful.

I am not yet certain that it is a "go to" place for us to use on a dedicated motorcycle trip.  We had great rides to Hiawassee, Helen, Wayah Road, etc. - but they did require some highway riding somewhere along the way.

We were incredibly lucky on our ride pn Wednesday.  We were a bit late in getting going and left around 2PM.  We rode south on 23 and then took a route over to Helen so we could buy some corn meal from the mill.  We then rode up 17 to 75 and rode over to Lake Burton....one of my favorite roads.  It was around 6PM and making dinner at the campground would have been a bit late - so we decided to stop at the restaurant at the marina on Lake Burton.  As we got to the top of the stairs a man asked us if we had reservations - we said no....did we need them?  He said no, and followed up that they were all new management and that they weren't really open until Friday night - but they were having a "Soft Opening" and we were welcome to come in and order anything we wanted from the menu....at no cost!  The menu is upscale from the marina food that they used to serve - however there will be a Carry Out restaurant downstairs for simpler food.  Deb ordered a Ceaser Salad and a Shrimp Cocktail....I order a slab of Ribs!  The food was excellent and the ribs were the best I ever had - I suspect that with taxes and tips it would have been a $90 meal!  (I did leave them a nice tip).  It was unbelievable that we just happened to be there for this "free" evening.

On Thursday we rode Wayah Road, then went east to Almond and route Moonshiner 28 down to Franklin...then continued down 23 to Clayton and our campground.

Friday morning we had to pack up and head out of Clayton, as all the campsites were reserved for the Labor Day weekend.  We got packed up and left by 11AM, and we then stopped at Tellico Plains and the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground was able to get us a spot to camp for the night.  We unloaded the bike and rode about half the Skyway, then stopped at "The Beach" for an ice cream.

Tomorrow we will head home!  IT was a great week.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #87 - 05/28/23 at 03:43:01

Deb had made the camping plans only a couple weeks ago, and all the campgrounds were full over the Memorial Day weekend - so we had no camping spot for Friday night.  Well.....the thought of being on I-75 on a Friday night before the holidays was a bit scary, I think the traffic would have been awful.  (And we found out later that there was a large accident on the I-275 loop around Cincinnati that created a parking lot....and we would have sat for hours had we been in it).

So rather than head home on Friday - we headed to Tellico Plains.  We called the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground and they said to come on over and they would get us a place to stay.  It turns out that on "Family" holidays their business is light as their clients spend time with family rather than going out and camping with their motorcycles.  We arrived around 2PM and unloaded the bike and took a ride on the Cherohala Skyway before dinner.  The owners of the campground live behind the store and are very dedicated and helpful....it is a nice place to stay and they have small cabins for $51 a night, tent camping spaces at $10.50 a person and RV hookups at $28 a night.
https://cmtrails.com/

We headed home on Saturday around 10AM and got home just after 5PM.  We spent the rest of the evening unpacking.

It was a great trip with absolutely no rain for an entire week....the rain is coming back and the next week looks wet - we were very lucky to have great weather.  We saw a sign posted at the Firefox Museum that stated the climate is the second wettest region in the US...it is no wonder we have trouble finding dry days to go riding!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #88 - 05/28/23 at 08:50:27

MM:

I won't be able to go down to Suches on June 9,10 or 11.  Deb is out of town and will be coming back on the 11th.

I could likely get down to Suches late in the day on the 11th if you wanted to stay and do more riding in the area......or if you wanted to ride up to the Kickstand Lodge and ride for a few days.

Or - I could do some other weekdays.  So much of it is weather dependent for me - as I really don't like going down there when there is an overwhelming chance of rain.  It takes me about 8 hours to get to Suches - around 6 to get to the Kickstand Lodge.

Dave

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #89 - 05/28/23 at 19:14:29

Hay the camp on the Skyway sounds like a nice place to meet next time !  

I'm thinking the weather should warm-up a little in June .   Maybe durning the week might be the best time to be camping in the mountains anyway ?   The traffic is a lot more friendly Monday-Friday !  Grin

I need to put one ride behind me before I can Schule the next one.   After we get Anders moved into his house , my "do" list will loosen up a lot !.

Nice find on the Skyway campground Dave !!  Cool

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 04:49:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2023

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.