ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 2023
Reply #90 - 05/29/23 at 03:34:41

MMRanch wrote on 05/28/23 at 19:14:29:
Nice find on the Skyway campground Dave !!  Cool

The Cherohala Skyway camp is very similar to the Kickstand Lodge - they are very laid back and easy going, and the bathrooms are clean (but a little run down).  Their breakfast biscuits are very good.

The only downside about the place is the location - which is also one of the benefits.  You are pretty well locked in to riding the Skyway morning and night to get to most of our favorite riding spots...about the only option is to ride 360 to the north to get around the Skyway, and it is not a stellar ride.  Riding the Skyway from Tellico gets you to Robbinsville - which puts you about half an hour from Deals Gap, Wayah Road and many other good rides......there is about 1.5 hours of commute morning and night!  Still......the Cherohala is a nice ride when traffic is light, and the tourists generally don't clog up the road early in the morning or later in the evening and the rides are generally traffic free.

Well....let's watch the weather and plan something during the week later in June when the weather is good.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #91 - 05/29/23 at 19:35:23

My first thought on ridding the Sky-Way early in the morning was a Chilling thought !.  Tongue

Kind of like one June we went up Mount Mitchel : it was about 80 deg. at Deals Gap when we took off in the morning.   On the way up to Mt.Mitchel we stopped and put the full fingered gloves on , then stopped to put the jackets on , then was glad to see a vender selling Hot Coco at the top ... when we finally got up there.  Smiley
It sure feels good on those hot summer days to run-up the Sky Way where its nice and cool.

The next time we went up to Mount Mitchel , OldFeller didn't have enough fuel to get up to the top and then back down to a fuel station.  That's when we discovered Hwy 30 going down from the park-way to Marion !   We forgot all about Mt. Mitchel after that , Hwy 30 is good !   Smiley Smiley

Hay Dave ,
You ever been North on the parkway past the NC. section ?  
We Had a feller from NH. that used to come every summer .  He gave me impression that the most northern sections were really nice.  He worked at a saw mill and we call him "Al from NH". and he rode a White Savage with side opening hard saddle bag.  He got himself a Suzuki S50 and faded into history after four or five years .   But his tales of the Northern Parkway have lived on (at least in my memory).  
Any of you other fellers remember him ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #92 - 06/12/23 at 06:27:30

MM:

How was the Gutzi weekend at Suches?

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #93 - 06/12/23 at 22:50:16

I'm very glad you ask me that question .  

I got back Saturday night to a bustle of activity and just now (Monday 11pm) am getting around to logging back on.

One of our local community centers was having their annual "Ice Cream Social" Saturday night .   Well , part of me taking off Thursday morning for the weekend ... was to be back in time to meet Marcia at the Ice Cream Social.

To get to Suches from Lynchburg is 200 miles.  The easy way is to hop on the Interstate for about a hundred miles .  
I was planning to ride the Guzzi ... but ... I sold it last Sunday before leaving the following Thursday (opportunity knocked  Roll Eyes )
I was a little hesitant about ridding the 350cc Meteor ... but ... it has gearing for about 95mph and the speed limit is 70mph so , come Thursday Morning off I went , saddle bags and trunk full with the tent tided on the back seat.
To my surprise on flat ground 70mph is only about 1/2 throttle.   Going up Moneagle mountain I was passing all the trucks as they had to slow down .  I had no problem going as fast as I wanted to.  
On toward the top of the mountain everybody  dropped to a crawl , and it was plain we were going to a single lane.
When I got to the reason ... someone had run-into the rear of one of the trucks going up the mountain ... and there a mini van sat in the middle of the right lane , bent up with the front grill against the fire-wall.  and radiator fluid just steaming up a cloud !  
I couldn't help to think , what kind of Idiot could pull off a stunt like running into the rear end of a semi trailer hard enough to bend a vehicle up like that ?   There must have been at least 40mph difference in their speed when the collision occurred .  Undecided

I had written instruction on what to do after I got off the interstate from goggle map the night before but the road signs were all missing.
So , I went to plan "B" , which was to use the GPS.   Well , that sorta worked , but apparently "Suches Ga." is nothing but a cross roads in the middle of NO-WHERE.   My GPS kept suggesting other towns that began with "SU" in Ga.  and wouldn't even let me finish putting Suches into the search box.
So
On to plan "C"   Roll Eyes
The Enfield came with a built in "Tripper".   That's a Bluetooth device that plays off of a cell phone by way of an Enfield app and Google Map , then it shows instructions on the Tripper's screen.   It worked flawlessly !   Smiley Smiley Smiley
So, I got to the Suches with the whole afternoon to set up camp and look around.    The first night it was just me and the feller who puts the meets together.   We had a fire pit to ourselves and a bunch of green wood.   I managed to split some of it into small enough pieces to make it burn enough to char the green stuff .   It was still a nice evening.

Friday morning the Dual-Sport bikes started rolling in.   Well , there was a guided ride for Saturday with 280 something ridders pre-registered .     Friday afternoon and Saturday morning they all were going through a vehicle pre-ride inspection  .   Apparently , since there was a National forest involved ... they all had to have their "Spark Arrestors" and stuff in place. ???

Friday , I went to pick up my brother Kent who lives in Hiawassee now (30 miles away) so we could visit and ride some.    He is still ridding the old Harley Sportster.   His (New to Him) Road-King is still in a local shop with an oil leak ... who would have thought Harleys leak oil ???
So , Kent worked out a plan to go over Hellen Mountain , over Hiawassee Mountain , then over Blood Mountain.    Well , since I was on a 350cc bike and he was on a 1200cc "supped-up" bike he suggested we ride at my pace and I lead the way , so , off we went.
The little 350 is coming up on 10,000 miles now and it's still getting better all the time.  I ran off and left him with the first bunch of twisty road we came too.  So , once we established the who can leave who thing we took turns leading and the day went really well.
Up on Blood Mountain there was a bicycle rally/ride going on and the patrol officers were really thick so instead of running up and down the back side of Blood Mountain like I wanted to do we just back tracked our way to Hiawassee .
I did get to ride the Wolf Pen twice Friday and then again Saturday once more.  
Saturday there was a British Bike Rally in Hiawassee , so that's the way I went home.  It was more than British , there were German , and Italian bike too.  I'll post some pictures , but ONE PICTURE per post is the only way I know how.  
Friday night the campground was full and the wood was dry enough to burn so we had a nice fire with 11 more Guzzi and ??? fellers join us.   One of the Friday night guys had a Himalaya Motorcycle , so Saturday morning we swaped bikes and took a short ride.   I'm glad I didn't buy one of them ... the 411cc was slower than my 350cc bike and a lot rougher  too.  
The ride home was - out the Wolf Pen gap , then the British Rally , then Hwy 64 and River Road , then the Interstate.  
There was a traffic mess going into Chattanooga that turned into 1st gear idle .
But
The mess going into Chattanooga from the west was from - the river bend all the way past the I-59 cut off.   I could see a bit down I-59 as I went by it , there appeared to be no end to it.   Just a 20 mile long parking lot.

I was glad to be going the other way and headed home to my Ice Cream Social Date  Wink .

« Last Edit: 06/13/23 at 06:11:41 by MMRanch »  

campfire2mp.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #94 - 06/12/23 at 22:59:03

more

BMW2mp.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #95 - 06/12/23 at 23:00:08

again

British2mp.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #96 - 06/12/23 at 23:02:22

Vincent was there too

Vincent2mp.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #97 - 06/12/23 at 23:04:50

The Commander was there with two buddies , here's one of them

Commando2mp.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #98 - 06/12/23 at 23:06:35

Vel and Ariel showed up looking good !

Vel_and_Areil_2mp.jpg

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #99 - 06/12/23 at 23:10:04

A REALLY OLD Guzzi came to visit too !    I think it was the Bacon Slicer one.

Look at the rear  and front shock , that might be the first "Up-Side Down" shocks ?   Now days we're putting them on the front .

Guzzi2mp.jpg

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #100 - 06/13/23 at 15:26:56

Looks like fun....unfortunately I just could not get away.  Deb was out of town all that week - and so were my neighbors.  I was feeding our animals and also pet sitting for the neighbors 16 pound cat "Boots".  I nicknamed him "Brunswick" - as he weighs as much as a bowling ball!

I am in the mood to go riding down that way and take the Savage.  So far i have been down that way 3 times this year and taken the F800GT each time (Twice for the weather protection as it was cold......and once as Deb was with me and the Savage won't haul a passenger).

I would like to go a few days during the week so that traffic is a bit less.  I think maybe it is time to go back to Waynesville and ride in that area for a while.

IMG_1554.JPG

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #101 - 06/13/23 at 20:40:52

I would like to go a few days during the week so that traffic is a bit less  

Waynesville is up in the Ashville area if I remember right ?
I think that's where we found Hwy 30  that runs through Marion NC.   It's like the Dragon with a legal 55mph speed limit and no enforcement and no campground.
Hay , Lancer , Oldfeller and me stayed at a campground near Waynesville.   There were cabins with two beds and floor space.   I hope I get graduated to a bed  this time if we find it again.  Boonsboro NC.  ?    Lancer or Oldfeller might remember ?    Maybe Booneville ?   Oldfeller was always so good at planning stuff .  Smiley

I have to use the next 5-day stretch of Hot weather to roll hay then I'm free again for bit.   Tomorrow , its using the tractor frontend loaded to pass the floor beams up to the second story ... it might take two days ?    Then I'll put the hay cutter on and watch for a week of sunny weather.  

Then I can take a three or four day ride , I hope ?

I'm down to one bike , but the Meteor has got "loosened-up" now and I don't feel like I'm "Handy-caped" anywhere but the interstate and even then cruising the high side of 70 is OK , (95mph=6750rpm/rpm-limit) so I've read.     I'm itching and ready to bring home the 650 version if the test ride don't turn up some dreadful something.  

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #102 - 06/14/23 at 03:51:30

The place we stayed at in Waynesville was the Bluegrass Motorcycle Campground.....Phil was the owner/operator at the time.  Later on it was owned by someone else who we have not met.

Waynesville is a bit west of Asheville.  We will have to rediscover some of the good riding roads in the area.  The road in front of the Blue Ridge Campground is 276, and it was a nice curvy road up to the Blue Ridge Parkway......we had a DR650 that could have been Phil toying with us one day as we headed back to the campground.......on the other side of the Parkway the road is also very curvy and is the place where the Sliding Rock is located - that is the place where folks slide down the rocks in the creek.  Brevard is the place where we stayed way too late one evening and had to ride home in the rainy mist, fog and swarm of bugs that where so thick it looked like snowfall in the headlight.  There is another good road back up the mountain to the Parkway just west of Brevard....for some reason Google Maps doesn't list the route number but calls it Parkway Road.  Waynesville is also not far from Cherokee, Maggie Valley, Sylva and other areas where we found good riding.

In August 2021 tropical storm Freddy hit the area and washed several bridges out along the Pigeon River, and one of the bridges was to the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground.  Deb and I were in the area in May 2022 and we just happened to be there on a morning after a hard rain.  We were driving along the road headed to the Bluegrass Parkway and just as we got to the Bluegrass Motorcycle Campground a "Flood Alert" warning came on our cell phones.  We stopped and I got some video of the Pigeon River right at the campground.  This is the location where there bridge used to be - you can see one of the small cabins on the other side of the river.  We could hear the loud "Boom, Boom" sound as large rocks were tumbling down the river bottom while we were watching the fast moving water.

There is a bridge being built - but there is little chance the campground will be open for this riding season. The owners have not made any post to Facebook in about a year.
https://www.facebook.com/p/Blue-Ridge-Motorcycle-Campground-100064069893979/

I will start looking around for a new campground area near Waynesville, I am sure there are some available.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #103 - 06/14/23 at 06:58:33

This place is just down the road from the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground.  It looks a bit upscale from what we are used to.  Tent sites are $28 a night for two, cabins are $90 a night and have 2 bunks beds that sleep 5 people (one bottom bed is a double)....the cabin would be reasonably priced if we had 4 people going.  I imagine cabins have to be reserved in advance....especially on weekends.
https://campinginthesmokymountains.com/

This place has cabins for $64 a night that will sleep 2.
https://moonshinecreek.com/

I will be bringing my car and trailer - so I can get a campsite and sleep in my trailer like I normally do.  It likely would be easier to find a campground and just share a campsite....plus we likely could find a place that would not require a reservation, and we would not have to pay a fee if we cancelled on account of rain.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #104 - 06/14/23 at 16:23:41

It likely would be easier to find a campground and just share a campsite....plus we likely could find a place that would not require a reservation, and we would not have to pay a fee if we cancelled on account of rain.

This is right up my alley !

sometime in July ?

Suches is $20./night now.  I guess they have to make a living too !   Wink

Thinking about campgrounds
My little one person tent tore-up durning my Suches trip last week.   So I got a military surplus one person tent now.  It packs up to fit inside a saddle bag.  
I've still got the 8'x10'x6' that me and Oldfeller split on his last trip too , but I don't think anybody makes saddle bags that size ?  Grin

« Last Edit: 06/14/23 at 18:16:15 by MMRanch »  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 03:37:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2023

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.